1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets may be offering the farm trying to create space

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 26, 2019.

1. Possum

Possum Member

Moreys really good at finding good role players. Losing Capela is no big deal. Not because he isn’t good but because the center position just isn’t that important anymore especially if you have three all star level players in the front court. Name the starting C for golden state the last five years that made a real difference. Bring in a couple of old vets and were good. He’ll sign Looney. He kicked capelas ass in their matchup.

Losing Gordon no big deal. His minutes and production easily covered and improved on by Butler. Tucker, that ones hard to swallow. Morey found him I’m sure he can find another.

Richie_Rich, amaru and BigShasta like this.
  2. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Didn’t he just sign a 5 year extension?!?

I think his job is well protected.....

Possum and hakeem94 like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m saying that the Rockets best players all need the ball in their hands to be at their best, and Harden, in particular, displays bad tendencies when he is asked to play off the ball. That wasn’t the case with the Warriors. All of their stars were willing to move and cut without the ball, and they had a free-flowing, motion offense. The Rockets have neither.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Battier was 34 and they had Lebron, Wade, and Bosh, and Chalmers and Haslem and Ray Allen. He wasn't even a starter when they he won with Miami.

Tucker will be 35 in next year's playoffs. Do you expect him to play at the same intensity and volume like this past season? When it comes to age, it's not just about wear and tear. The aging process goes on whether you have worked a lot or not.

I'd love to keep PJ and get Butler to play with Harden and Paul. But if you have to trade him to get an upgrade, Tucker shouldn't be a deal breaker.

BMoney, Possum and D-rock like this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

All these same sauces said Harden and CP3 wouldn’t work either and we ended up with best record in the league. So I like that they don’t think Jimmy will work.

Possum and D-rock like this.
  6. txn

txn Member

I think Daryl is too obsessed to have another super star. Due to whatever reason, we are not attractive to other stars. So he has to be desperated with all these past-prime stars (DW12 and CP3). The result is we lost more valuable pieces overall for a short term good run.

FrontRunner likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Is that a fat joke?

Tucker is not fat......just thicc

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. DVauthrin

The Sixers have no leverage to demand P.J. Tucker. All Butler has to do is inform them that he is declining their offer and will sign elsewhere in free agency if they don’t agree to trade him to the Rockets. Once that happens, either the Sixers get what they can for Butler from the Rockets in a trade, or they let him walk for nothing.

Second, considering Tucker’s importance to the Rockets’ defense and his relationship with Harden and Paul, I’m not trading him in a deal for Jimmy Butler. Furthermore, the teams that would want Tucker are all contenders, and there’s no way I want to improve my primary competition in the West, or a team I might face in the Finals.

Bottom line: I want Tucker and Butler playing together next year and would figure out a way to make it happen.

#348 DVauthrin, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    jcmoon and Tfor3 like this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

3 players for butler, Scott and redick.

Capela to another team.

10. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Totally agreed. I was just making the distinction that it's a problem of inclination, not of ability. Those two guys are good enough outside shooters that they COULD perform that kind of role. But they are not willing to.

11. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

The Sixers have little leverage IF Butler decides he HAS to be traded to Houston. That's a real big if.

12. DVauthrin

Completely agree and my mistake for not grasping what you were trying to say earlier. Paul has been willing to take a back seat to Harden and play off the ball more, but he’s at his best with the ball in his hands. Harden, on the other hand, is completely disinterested in playing off the ball.

Big Time Titan likes this.
  13. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

All three - -CC. EG, and PJ are not being traded for Jimmy Bucket. That move will be beyond moronic but imbecilic. First, it is improbable for Jimmy Bucket to out perform any two of this three let alone, all the three. If it happens, the move will not close the window for championship but set us back to the pre-Hakeem and Raph Samson days, particularly, when team proprietor Fertita only committed to cost cutting and not wnning championship. The only knock on CC is that he got exposed by the Warriors. News flash -- everyone gets exposed by the Warriors with their talents. EG is the closest we got to the splash brothers plus KD. PJ has been our defensive ace. Only a brain-dead will do such a thing; and DMorey is certainly not a brain-dead. My guess is that he is fielding the market to see what he can get for any two combinations. Even if this is true that these names are coming out to get the sense of the market, it is still stupid to give away any two of our starting five for one and still expect the Rockets to do well in the coming season. That my friends is pipe dream. I guess that's the price you pay for being cash strap and devoid of talent. What is the definition of insanity again? Doing the same thing over and again and expect different result. Years after year, the Rockets keep spinning the same wheel and expect a different result - - sorry it's not happening my friend. Jimmy Bucket minus any combination of our two starting five will not win championship unless Ferttita is willing to pony up and allow DMorey to bring in viable complimentary support and not worry about the luxury tax. The contracts of Harden and CP3 will be less painful if Ferttita spends money to bring help to capture the championship. It's not my money and I'm not here to count his money but if we are talking about championship, I don't see any way out other than spending money for acquisition of quality supporting cast. if anyone knows a better way, I'm all ears. Had the Warriors cut corner, they would not have gotten KD to capture the two consecutive title. If they were concern about luxury tax, would they be where they were before losing to the Raptors? By the way, it was this Rockets that soften the Warriors for the Raptors to take the advantage of the beat up Warriors to win the title. Mediocrity is out of the door and we cannot wait with less ideal rosters, year after year to serendipitous get the Raptors luck. It's not happening. Every team is building up, alas, Clippers, Lakers, Marvericks, Spurs, Denver, even the Trailblazer to name few. Our window may be now. Ferttita/DMorey better don't mess it up.

ilias likes this.
  14. DVauthrin

Agreed. However, I would argue the Sixers have little to no leverage at all over Butler. Butler can simply decline their offer and sign with the Clippers or Nets in free agency instead. He has other teams besides Philadelphia willing to give him a four-year maximum contract. Either Philadelphia gets some assets back in a trade, or he can walk away and all they have is more cap space and no draft picks to show for it.

15. Rocketsfan3422

My freaking eyes are bleeding...
    My freaking eyes are bleeding

16. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

The Sixers can offer him the supermax - so that's one year and $50M more than anyone else. Sounds like leverage to me. I have no idea if they will, but they CAN.

17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

jesus. tell me how you really feel

Tfor3 likes this.
  18. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Agreed. The TL : DR on that one is "just don't bother"

Tfor3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Luc Mbah a Moute of course.

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I was on the fence until Broussard started ******** on it.

This idiot knows Jack about basketball, nevermind who's doing what in the NBA. Guy is a complete moron.