1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2 year old hit by foul ball at MMP

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HTM, Jun 26, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

BigM likes this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They won't and shouldn't get anything from the Astros. Everybody hates that it happened, but it's an assumed risk.

I've been on board with extending the netting past the infield. The netting is so thin it really doesn't impact the in stadium viewing.

RayRay10, Handles, The Beard and 2 others like this.
  3. maw7079

maw7079 Member

I could honestly care less about a conversation about compensation. This poor child.

BigM likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Yeah that is ****ing awful.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Two teams have already committed to full foul pole netting. Only a matter of time before every stadium does it.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've been against it and have never say behind the netting, but it is time.

I sat near 3rd one time with my kids. I regretted it. I was on my toes for every pitch. By myself I don't think much about it.

vince, tmoney1101 and BigM like this.
  7. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Put netting all the way down the line, it’s 2019, technology allows for netting that doesn’t obstruct vision

It’s a multi billion dollar business

This should be simple

tmoney1101 likes this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

All the rich people behind home plate have been sitting behind netting forever its nbd

tmoney1101 likes this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

78% of people polled approve of the net. What’s the hold up? We shouldn’t even be talking about this in 2019. Put the damn thing up and let’s get on with it.

10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I really hate lawyers because they will get paid no matter what the outcome. When the lawyer said Jim Crane should do the right thing, the lawyer knows that it is a losing case, if they challenge the Astros. I feel bad for the child because of inept parenting. I would never put my kids around that area if I'm not there, or not paying attention. The NHL has netting all around the rink, so it is a matter of time, but having netting loses luster of catching baseballs. No matter what, sad to see baseball losing more tradition.

11. HTM

HTM Member

Well a plaintiffs lawyer like Mithoff won’t get paid unless he can extract something from the Astros. The family is not paying him.

I thought it was super interesting Mithoff would decide to get involved in this. He is as good as they come. He must see extracting some money from the Astros as a possibility.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think they should put up more netting. I think the lawyer knows he can't win in court because of the "baseball rule" precedent so he took it to the media. Maybe the Astros help out with the medical bills, but they have no legal obligation.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fans getting skull fractures was never a tradition.

There's been netting behind home plate forever.

maw7079 likes this.
  14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Latest word is the Nationals, Dodgers, and White Sox have committed to extending the net.

Stros shouldn't be liable, but they'll likely give something in the $100k range. The girl's family really let her down.

15. SemisolidSnake

Hmm, those are some nasty injuries. It's heartbreaking. But that's no reason to lawyer up. Are they gonna try to drag the Astros' name through the mud? Are they going to make poor Almora fall apart again and traumatize him? It's awful what happened and it's already stirring the pot around the league to get nets put up. But they chose to sit there and endanger their child, and that's their fault, and they need to accept responsibility instead of lawyering up and trying to get a payout.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

17. HTM

HTM Member

You and anyone else (well maybe not the uber wealthy) would do the exact same thing under the same or similar circumstances.

There might not even be a greed motive behind it. The costs associated with the injury and the rest of life care maybe enormous.

If you have a working class family and the professionals tell you your infant child has sustained injuries that will disable them for life and they estimate the child will need $5 million to be properly treated and taken care of for the rest of their life, you're gonna take your (free) shot at MLB and the Astros to get them to cover these expenses. To assert otherwise is ludicrous.

I don't think they will be successful but I given the context I don't fault them at all.

#17 HTM, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

About the dumbest advice I've ever heard.

astros123 and msn like this.
  19. SemisolidSnake

Hmm, I was wondering why I was suddenly getting **** for something from two years ago. Well, you're fine. Reeko's being a ****-giving *******.

Well, seeing the news story, this is indeed unfortunate. It's tragic. I really wasn't expecting it to be this bad. I admit that my biases against our litigation-happy society kicked in when I wrote this comment. Since then, I've been getting better about not posting the first thing I think of and thinking a more about other perspectives on a situation. I should have done that here, because you make you very good points. I appreciate you actually making those points as counterpoint and explanation. I was wrong.

verse, Joshfast, arkoe and 1 other person like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Doesn’t mean it’s right. I do hope the Astros do something for the family if they hadn’t already.