1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your Realistic Target for a taxpayer MLE free agent this offseason.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, May 28, 2019.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think @TheGoldenGreek is talking about giving Shumpert $10m per season, which would not cause any BYC issues. I'm thinking they explore something along these lines, although I think it would be for a little less. Maybe $6-8m per season. Yes, they'd have to add a second non-guaranteed year in order to avoid Shumpert having veto rights as a One-Year Bird player.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I was just clarifying since he put 20-30m and anything over that $13.2 number triggers BYC.

I agree … its highly likely the retain him. They aren't likely to get a better player with the minimum or the T-MLE.

Only question is at what number … $11m last year which I don't think he played up to. 6-8 seems reasonable to me but there's so much cap space across the league (420m+?) , it could inflate salaries.

D-rock likes this.
  3. finsraider

finsraider Member

In the Amick article, he mentioned the following as possible targets: Danny Green, Jeremy Lamb, Aminu, DeAndre Jordan, Brook Lopez & Kevon Looney.

Here's what I find interesting, although not surprising: 3 of those are 3&D wings, and 3 are centers.

If I'm Houston, and Capela is gone, I'd absolutely make a run at Kevon Looney.

4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m surprised there is zero discussion of Taj Gibson. He could play a small ball 5 here.

PWR, daywalker02 and jch1911 like this.
  5. finsraider

finsraider Member

Just for fun.

Let's assume Houston does a SnT for Butler, with Capela, Gordon and Nene going out. Hard cap is $139 million.

Team uses a portion of it's MLE to sign Kevon Looney as it's full time center (3 years $18 million). Another portion to sign House (2 years $4 million, fully guaranteed).

Then sign Gerald Green, Tyson Chandler, Jared Dudley, Thabo Sefolosha, Austin Rivers and a Euro to vet min contracts.

1) 38.5 CP3
    2) 38.2 Harden
    3) 32.7 Butler
    4) 8.3 PJ
    5) 5.7 Looney
    6) 2 House
    7) 1.6 Gerald Green vet min
    8) 1.6 Tyson Chandler vet min
    9) 1.6 Jared Dudley vet min
    10) 1.6 Thabo Sefolosha vet min
    11) 1.6 Austin Rivers vet min (unlikely, but who knows)
    12) 1.6 Euro vet min
    13) 1.6 Gary Clark
    14) 1.4 Hartenstein
    0.1 Troy Williams Dead Cap

$138.1, or $0.9 under the apron...which I think would be just enough room to sign someone to an end of season deal after the deadline.

CP3 / Rivers
    Harden / Green
    Butler / House or Sefolosha
    Tucker / Dudley or Clark
    Looney / Chandler or Hartenstein

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Looney is good target, younger than Aminu. GSW cant pay all their young PF: Looney, Bell, Paschall

7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

Phoenix has extended qualifying offer to Kelly Oubre Jr., which will make him a restricted free agent, league sources tell ESPN. Oubre is a target for significant offer sheets in the market, especially with cap space teams who miss out on high-profile unrestricted free agents. - Woj

Vivi and treyk3 like this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

oh boo, he's going to get paid.

9. tc0330

tc0330 Member

yup :(

10. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Nerlens Noel cold be had cheaply.
    poor mans Capela.
    Dewayne Dedmon I think will be too expensive.
    Kevin Looney would be perfect but GSW wont let him go especially to HOU.

tc0330 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock, tc0330, Rudyc281 and 2 others like this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I'd personally spend it on DAJ (if he'd take it) with Ariza as my second option. I have no doubt that we will go into next season with some option at the 5 that can be more impactful than PJ on the offensive end. I personally would love to see the first 30 games with Hartenstein playing major minutes and see what happens.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. PWR

PWR Member

Starters
    Paul
    Harden
    Jimmy Butler - 6'8"
    Taj Gibson (MLE) - 6'9"
    Mike Muscala (vet min) - 6'11"

Bench
    Jamal Crawford (vet min again)
    House
    Hartenstein
    Anthony Tolliver (vet min)
    Vince Carter (vet min again)
    G. Green (vet min again)
    Clark

Taj Gibson and Mike Muscala both have a history of playing well with Jimmy Butler.

Jamal Crawford's final 3 games last season: 50 pts, 27 pts, & 28 pts. He is old, but he gets BUCKETS.

Anthony Tolliver, Vince Carter, and Gerald Green are vets that excel in corner threes.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wow, Stanley should be another guy on our list, if we can somehow get one of this guys like him, Rondae for cheap, that would be nice.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[...]

Houston will likely have the Taxpayer Mid-Level Exception available to them at about $5.7 million. This should be enough to add some additional depth in terms of one player, or it could be split up among two players. After that, it’s going to have to be minimum exception contracts for the Rockets, or trades of the players mentioned above.

The good news for Houston is that this is a summer where plenty of players should be available to sign to veteran minimum deals. Around 200 players will be free agents this summer, or nearly 40% of the NBA. Half the league has cap space, but that money will go very quickly. After the first couple of tiers of free agents are signed, most teams will be capped out and working with exceptions. Because the Rockets are positioned as contenders, they should be able to land productive players for at least the coming season.

Houston has needs up and down their bench, so they’ll be active with all positions. Players like Kyle O’Quinn, Kosta Koufos, or Richaun Holmes would be solid fits behind Capela. The Rockets could also take a chance on reclamation projects like Dragan Bender or Trey Lyles for some frontcourt depth.

On the wing, don’t count out a return for Gerald Green. He’s fit in well in Mike D’Antoni’s system the last couple of years. They could also take a chance on Mario Hezonja, Darius Miller or Thabo Sefolosha for additional depth.

Finally, it seems more imperative than usual to find a quality backup to Paul, given his age and injury history. Harden can be the primary ballhandler, so that makes finding a backup point guard more of a defensive issues than an offensive one. While bringing back Patrick Beverley would be the ideal fit, he’s going to be far too expensive and is unlikely to return to Houston. Someone like T.J. McConnell could fit in well, or the team could see if they can sign someone like Cory Joseph.

One other thing Houston should consider is re-signing Iman Shumpert to a bigger contract than it might seem like he is worth on its face. Because Shumpert is one of the few free agents that the Rockets have Bird rights for, they could re-sign him for $12 million to $15 million for the upcoming season and, in effect, make him a living traded player exception. This would allow Houston to package his salary in a deal down the line to help bring in additional help. They could also use Shumpert as part of a sign-and-trade, should the opportunity present itself. This situation is far less about Shumpert’s ability as a player, than making him into a salary-matching asset. That’s harsh in a way, but something Houston has to consider and would obviously benefit Shumpert financially.

18. BigBum

BigBum Member

Offer 1
    offer shumpert 1year 15 milllion, rivers gone.
    Offer anyone 5.7 million, rivers gone.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

#219 J.R., Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Vivi and BaselineFade like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Diallo at vet min ... YES PLEASE!!!!