1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets may be offering the farm trying to create space

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 26, 2019.

1. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

100% this, Morey is shopping all three to figure out the best way to make this happen. He will keep at least 1 of them. Doesn't seem like it is feasible to keep 2 of them unfortunately but if he can somehow keep 2 of these 3 guys then a statue should be made of Morey outside TC. If he trades all 3 then we will have our work cut out for us to field a roster with any sort of depth.

From this, it is obvious Butler has shown interest for Philly and Rockets to negotiate. Philly has made it known that they would rather have 1st round pick or picks instead of players (most likely based on the tweet). One thing the Rockets could do is, say for example, get 2 or 3 1st round picks by trading Capela, Gordon, and Tucker to teams with cap space that want to actually compete for the playoffs. Seems pretty far fetched but maybe you trade all 3 and get back picks. Use the "best, most appealing" pick in a sign and trade with Philly. Then Morey has 1 or 2 more 1st round picks to play with to accumulate talent somehow similar to how he traded Kyle Lowry for a lottery pick and then Morey flipped that lottery pick as part of a package for James Harden?

This would be difficult to match salaries if all we have is Harden, Butler, and CP3 in any trades involving picks but maybe you can trade Nene + a 1st for a young player still on their rookie deal that a team has soured on?

2. basketballholic

12 pages guys

Sheesh

1. We're not trading PJ.
    2. It will take both Ego and CC salary to land Butler in a SnT. And if we add in Nene, Chiozza, and Frazier we can take back another 12 million in contracts in that scenario.
    3. If Butler opts in now we still want to move both guys out for as much good salary and assets as possible incoming with expiring or good value contracts to prepare for the next guy.

Nothing to see here.

#242 basketballholic, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right but this isn't true.

Harden was available publicly because of his contract issue. They had a deadline to either get him to take a new contract or trade him.

On CP3, we were very publicly linked to him prior to that trade. We didn't consider the opt-in trade scenario, but we were widely expected to sign him in FA by the time that deal happened.

Dwight, same thing.

4. derp

derp Member

Almost liked this comment just so I can dislike it. That would be a terrible move. House was exposed for what he really is.

napalm06 and Lurch like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Would TJ McConnell be a possibility as well?

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

But a Tucker for Butler straight up trade is never going to happen, let's be real, you can't get a star for a 34 years old role player. But i don't think Woj is talking about moving all those 3 guys, if that would've been the case i would agree with you, but if we're talking about two and PJ is one of them...? I just don't see how we pass that opportunity at this point, especially with how Chris has declined last season, if his decline will continue (which very possible) we're going to be in a terrible position with only one star (which is probably already the case btw) on the roster and some aging role players, Gordon expiring. Having a 2nd star in his prime would instantly extend our window by at least a couple of years. Again, not to take anything away from what you say about PJ, i agree on everything, but i just don't see how you pass on the chance to get a guy like Butler because of that.

As for Gordon i don't know, you might be right, but Gordon always had his stretches where he was bad, it happened in every season since he has been here. And i mean, he is the one who refused to extend his contract before he was shopped in November for Butler, then he played just fine to finish the season...and while yes, he's a human being, he's also a 30 years old man who has been in the league for more than 10 years now, he, like all the players, knows the nba is a business...now he's also on his contract year so, i wouldn't worry too much about that.

Reeko likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd like to get him, but while he's unrestricted free agent, the Sixers will probably resign him, he's a fan favourite and shouldn't cost much, he's a pretty good player to have off the bench.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I would love to see Tucker play alongside Butler. That would be fun to watch in spurts.

matchesmalone and Lurch like this.
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m not sensitive nor irrational, and I’ve also already said that I’m on board with trading Gordon and Capela for Butler. My point is giving up the Rockets’ defensive anchor and key to their switching defense in the process is not worth it. The goal needs to be having a defense anchored by both Tucker and Butler, not trading Tucker for Butler.

As for the Raptors, Kawhi Leonard is a better player than Jimmy Butler. If the Rockets trade all three of Capela, Gordon and Tucker for Butler, they will be paying a steeper price than the Raptors did for Leonard. DeRozan is the best player that Toronto traded, but Capela, Gordon and Tucker are much better than Poeltl and a 2019 protected first-round pick, and the Raptors received Danny Green in the trade as well.

#249 DVauthrin, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    YOLO likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

HAHA Daryl Morey is holed up in a hotel on the East Side of Houston.......... slamming Monster drinks, choking down Whataburger patty melts and snorting massive quantities of coke while he tries to add a third "star" to the Rockets....

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

12. rockets13champs

They about to fly to fillay

Nook likes this.
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Tilman: "You buy your own coke. I'm not paying for the coke."

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

All of this information came out after the deals were made. I don't remember hearing any of this weeks before the trades happen like we have with Butler today...multiple threads over weeks discussing possible Butler trades.

We did not have weeks of speculation that we were making a trade for Harden. We only heard that OKC offered Harden around the league after. Then we learned that the Wizards turned down OKC and the Warriors did as well, Beal and Klay respectively. In fact, this one had to have been a surprise because it was literally a surprise to Harden who expected in his own words IIRC that OKC would just get his contract right and he'd be back playing for them.

with Paul is much the same. We did not have weeks of threads about how the Rockets were going after CP3 and Harden, they both just came out of the sky for us, that's why people keep saying it. Of course Morey worked behind the scenes to get these trades done and of course he targeted these players all along.

I think the phrase about Morey's best moves being surprising is only to hint that he's always considering options that we may not be aware of currently.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. Normalus

Normalus Member

That country music would ruin our locker room...if there's anything left to ruin.

16. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

King1 likes this.
  17. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Worst post in a while.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

By offering the farm, the Rockets hope to avoid calf injuries.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

With Paul he had told us he has "something up his sleeve" though.

I'm really excited about this. I'd honestly hate to see any of those guys gone but Morey is no dummy. He isn't talking to people about all 3 unless he has a pretty good idea of what else he can do to replace that depth. I'm hoping it involves MCW.

JayGoogle and Fyreball like this.
  20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Does your brain work exclusively on puns and nothing else??

lionaire and RyanB like this.