1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj on Sportscenter "Rockets are recruiting Jimmy Butler hard and might have a deal with him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ch said something similar too.

2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

In the end I heard it was what they said. They were just not going to deal with us. Is that accurate?

3. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I recommend skipping the hope and anxiety stages, and going straight to disappointment.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Minnesota just didn't like our package as much as wanted to keep him out of the WC.

The Rockets offered about the most they could for Butler last season.

Rudyc281 and luckyman76 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Just don't have any expectations.

Just because you ask the hot girl to the dance, doesn't mean she is going to go with you.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

@Nook now that you talked about it again, i just wonder if in a scenario where they would've been forced to move PJ for Butler, they would've push harder and early to get JaMaychal Green since they like the player and still tried to get him at the deadline. Considering the lineup they could've had out there...

Capela
    Green
    Butler
    Harden
    Paul

mikol13, luckyman76 and Nook like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

It is very possible. The Rockets thought they were getting Green at the deadline.

D-rock, luckyman76 and Vivi like this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Jimmy would be great here, and although he can be volatile, he'd push everyone to be better. That was his point with the Wolves. He was tired of the softness surrounding the team.

I'm more interested in how Morey fills out the rest of the roster with or without JB.

There are numerous guys who would take a one year deal to win it all, and no matter what the Lakers have done, the Rockets should be considered the team to beat in the West at this point.

If you fix the 3 and add one more sniper on the bench, along with a guy who wants to rebound and defend, your'e golden.

I'm watching a couple of Blazers, Suns, and a Wizard carefully, and of course, a good man on the Clips.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

BY the numbers , I think it has to be Capela & EG going elsewhere …. and that's signing one player at the MLE and the rest of the roster on min deals and you are ~$900k under the apron.

Moving Tucker …. you'd be ~$5.5m over the apron in that scenario. The only way to make that work would be not use the MLE at all and have an open roster spot for the duration.

11. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Blazers: Aminu

Suns: ?

Clips: Beverley

lionaire likes this.
  12. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

@Codman your thoughts on Rockets willing to part with PJ Tucker?

13. Codman

Never.

14. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I love PJ but he's 34 yrs old

I'm ok moving him now

D-rock and Stormy1234 like this.
  15. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I'm guessing Oubre or Crawford from the Suns?.. Could be Green from the Clippers if not Beverley.

matchesmalone likes this.
  16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think in a scenario where Tucker is moved instead of Capela or Gordon, we would've to add Nene and some of those minimum guys...?

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Wow. Cyberx and Codman postings in the same day. What about ch44? Break out the Dos Equis and limes.

D-rock, Stormy1234, jch1911 and 2 others like this.
  18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

You’re right with the point that he did not start much. I remembered Howard missed 41 games so I assumed Dorsey started most of those other games. Don’t know why.

However, Howard still missed half the season, and maybe it wasn’t Dorsey all the time, but we did end up with a very solid regular season and our starting centres were a combination of Dorsey and Black for 29 of those 41 games, and the other games must have been a weird combination of T Jones or Dmo. Josh Smith if you want to nit pick who’s playing power forward.

It doesn’t get worst than those names and yet somehow they held it down for a 56 win team when Harden was having his first MVP type year.

My argument started with someone saying Harden can’t have any Center just slide in and things can be ok and that season clearly shows he actually can. And I’m not arguing that we’ll be fine without Capela, but saying a guy like McGee for example, could be good enough at that position because he gets to play with Harden. And this fully depends on whether the addition of Butler makes up for the downgrade we take at center, which I haven’t taken a side on.

@biff17 couldn't quote everyone but in response to your posts as well

EDIT: The games those guys were starters instead of Dwight we won 27 of them; 1 short of half our wins.

#378 Zoplicone, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

there's a longer list of guys you can find that can maybe fill in for spot minutes at C because that just speaks to the impact harden has on the floor. but the minute you shift over to guys who you want to be able to play extended minutes and actually be contributors, then that list becomes absolutely shorter.

Do i think McGee can provide spot minutes (~ 20 mins or less) and be effective in those minutes? sure as long as harden/cp3 is here. Do I think McGee can be relied about as an every night starter for 30 mins or more? Absolutely not. he's never been that type of player and in year 12 it realistically won't start happening

20. Codman

Just a coincidence. I'm staying under the radar so to speak. I miss the days of it being easy when I knew EGo and FlyRy, or even SweetLou and JSmooth (x2), were on their way. Things are much more about chess now, but that's okay.

Cyber's got it covered.

Hope you're well.

All love.