1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Former Senator Claire McKaskill (D-MO) has some advice for Elizabeth Warren.

Claire McCaskill urges Warren not to be like annoying 'professor': Be more 'relatable'

"You need to get American comfortable with who you are," McCaskill said while appearing on MSNBC. Former Vice President Joe Biden and Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., were doing well in the polls because people knew who they were, McCaskill added.

The former Democratic senator argued Warren and other candidates should start using humor more and strike a balance between making people comfortable with your policy leadership without boring them with lectures.

"I think you have to swing with the fences with people being comfortable that you are in command of the policy but not so in command of the policy that you're not relatable," she said. "That's Elizabeth's challenge, frankly, sometimes she comes very close to that professor I just wanted to be quiet."

Warren has support on the left because she is a leftist and also because she is a policy wonk. I get the attraction to candidates who have the knowledge and inclination to speak to topics in this way, but this is just one narrow aspect of the role of a presidential candidate, and by no means the most important aspect.

Warren tends to come across as a nagging school marm type. And when you slather that tendency with the Democrat left's "Political correctness" and "Identity politics" agenda - which come across as strident and intolerant, to say the least - it really is not a very attractive presentation.

We have spoken a good bit about her epic failure to appropriate a new "race" for herself. While that is surely not going to help her any, this tendency that Claire McKaskill is advising her about is almost certainly her bigger concern.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Honestly, our incessant desire to want "relatable people" to manage the world's largest bureaucracy and command the world's most powerful military is only one part of many reasons why US hegemony will eventually faulter.

Yes, I want intelligent nuanced people to hold a position that manages the world's largest bureaucracy and commands the world's most powerful military.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Look, if you want to support Elizabeth Warren for President, by all means have at it.But at least be honest enough with yourself to accept that she is a leftist and not anything near being a centrist. Seriously, it does not do you any favors for you to try to deceive either yourself or others about something so obvious and out in the open for all to see as this is.

5. fchowd0311

How did a centrist fair last election? I mean we agree that Hillary was a centrist right?

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Well, by all means, you guys should nominate an unrelatable hard leftist candidate this time then.

Don't think for a second that I am trying to stand in your way of doing that. Because I am not.

7. fchowd0311

You actually didn't answer my question. How did having a centrist fair for Democrats last election?

Also, the last 4 years has many Americans yearning for a President who can form coherent sentences and express policy positions in detail.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

What part are you "oh geez"ing?

Their protest, or her bandwagoning it?

9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Hillary Clinton was marketed as a centrist, but what she actually was, was a completely unprincipled focus group candidate. Biden is the same thing. This is what you guys should try to steer clear of this time. Biden is not the answer, as he does not believe what he is saying either, and as a result, people will not believe in him.

You guys would be better off uniting behind Bernie Sanders.

10. fchowd0311

I added another part to my post but I'll restate it by asking you.

Do you think after four years of Trump, many Americans care more about having a president who can form coherent thoughts and express policies in nuanced detail rather than being "relatable"?

And I don't understand how Trump supporters believe that Trump, a man who nutted out of a 413 million dollar penis, is relatable. His diction is probably relatable to a high school drop out but I higher opinions of the average American.

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

all of the above, to be honest with you ;)

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I don't accept your premise.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If I believe what is happening with the camps is immoral, then I think it's pretty much expected that I would not want to profit off of it.

14. fchowd0311

Which part of the premise? It's already objectively proven that Trump's word choice is at a 4th grade reading level. He also never delves into nuance and just spews platitudes. He's also a wanderer. Hell spend 5 minutes jumping around to 10 different subject matters and not really say anything of value. He's notorious for going on long rants without saying much substantively.

Do you think many Americans aren't yearning for a president who's IQ isn't questioned to be on the left side of a normal distribution throughout the globe?

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think this is right. Some of the field could moderate themselves and get into Biden's lane, but I don't see any candidate's effort to do so. Though to be be fair, they might do it in Iowa and I might not see it. But, if no one can do it at the national level aside from Biden, while multiple candidates can get eyeballs on more leftist ideas, can a moderate really catch up fast enough?

That sounds like terrible advice. When she tries to be relatable, she flops, like her beer in the kitchen candidacy announcement. She needs to be herself, a northeast liberal elitist who wants to use the power of big brother to make policy to help the working and middle class. I don't like all her ideas, but I like her best when she's being the policy wonk, not when she's pretending to be a regular guy.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Ya, Warren can have some cringy moments when she tries to be hokey.

17. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

The first of the presidential primary debates start tonight in Miami. How fortunate that the apparent current media favorite Elizabeth Warren goes first and was drawn a panel with no other candidates polling in the top five for her to be concerned with. What good luck she has!

According to Democrat strategist and pollster, Warren is in a great position to dominate tonight:

First Of Two Democratic Primary Debates Set To Kick Off In Miami

Which candidates appear on stage each night was chosen at random. Only one of tonight’s participants has consistently polled in the top five.

“I think Elizabeth Warren will have an advantage because she’s the only one of the so-called major candidates that’s going to be on the night one panel,” said Brad Bannon, Democratic pollster and strategist. “And so she has a chance to dominate.”

18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

I think that's the wrong way to look at it (not picking on you, just saying). I also think that kind of position is what flows inevitably out of the spinning of the detention centers as "concentration camps." Unless one is truly for a 100% open borders policy--and I don't think anyone is--then migrants at the border need to be temporarily housed in some fashion. It's hard to house people without beds (or food). To say that anyone selling either beds or food to entities managing the centers (in this case a not-for-profit Baptist charity I believe) is "profiting" off of an injustice is perhaps accurate in one very small sense, but in a broader, far more significant sense is simply adding more insult to injury for the vast numbers of people at the receiving end who very desperately need these items NOW.

19. biff17

biff17 Member

Why do you go out of your way to create a narrative.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...ll-biden-has-2-1-lead-in-early-primary-states

Poll: Biden has 2-1 lead in early primary states
    wide lead in the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination race, holds an even bigger 2-to-1 lead over Sen. Bernie Sanders in early primary states, according to the latest survey on the race.

Among Democratic voters in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Nevada, Biden leads Vermont's Sanders 42%-20%, according to Morning Consult.

[​IMG]
    Morning Consult survey results.
    Chief Political Correspondent Byron York on the expanded Washington Examiner magazine
    Watch Full Screen to Skip Ads
    Nationally, he leads Sanders 38% to 20%, said the polling outfit.

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg are battling for third both nationally and in the early primary and caucus states.

The survey is based on interviews with 16,368 registered voters planning to vote in a Democratic primary or caucus, said Morning Consult.

The outfit plans to release its "Political Intelligence: The State Of The Democratic Primary" every Monday.

In its latest survey, it found that Biden was tops in favorability, at 76%, followed by Sanders at 74%.

20. biff17

biff17 Member