1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember this, we are trying to add two primary stars.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 18, 2019.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

"if he needs cash that bad..... hrhcan float a loan for one year." So, what beith 'huhcan'?

I'm not worried about a 70 win team, I need the Rox to be a 16-win team!

basketballholic likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Horford is out. He wants too much $.
    The chasing two stars boat sank back then.

The Butler SnT to Houston still sails the choppy waters.

saleem likes this.
  3. BigBum

BigBum Member

Chance is slim if he needs money, 5year contract now.

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

He is injury prone, philly is concerned about 5year contract,

5. basketballholic

Butler is obvious.

The second guy would probably come down to Horford or Love. Or we may wait on somebody else. I suspect Horford would be cheaper to obtain. And my gut says we'd prefer Love. But there'll be competition for Love. Blazers Clippers Celtics would all want him and they'd have some assets to obtain him. Blazers have Zach Collins, Simons, picks and other young talent. Celtics have a ton of picks and good youngsters. And if we obtain Butler in a trade the Sixers are going to have a ton of picks snd youngsters to throw at Cleveland. So i doubt we'd have enough left to out-asset those guys for Love. But we may have enough left for Horford. Or maybe Warriors break it down for one year and move out Draymond???????? Maybe OKC gets desperate enough to move out Adams? Miami give up Bam in a salary dump of JJ/Dion? Spurs Aldridge Pistons Blake in rebuild (gag)? Maybe Orl maxes Vuc then they fail and move him out at the deadline?

Who knows. But we're after another guy if we get Butler to opt in and come here.

6. basketballholic

Typo corrected.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Really going out on a limb there.

[​IMG]

Garner and PlayBall like this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If there's a book out on Jimmy, the title of that book is STUBBORN. Something tells me if he's hell-bent on getting his money NOW, then opting out is something he's already set on. And if opting out is something he's already set on, then the Rockets don't really have a chance at getting him. There's no way we gut 40% of our starting roster and hard cap ourselves for one guy. I have a sinking feeling that your option 2 is the scenario that ends up playing out. Or ultimately, maybe the Siren Call of a 5 year max from Philly is too strong for him to ignore and he ends up staying.

justtxyank likes this.
  9. basketballholic

That's whst I'm saying.

By the way im also with Trey on our defense changing next season. I think with Butler or whatever wrong we add you can expect us to drop the big (whomever they are but they'll be a shooter) a lot more, keep Harden in the corner defensively as much as possible and let PJ and Butler or whomever we get with around the arc with Cp3. We'll still switch a lot and even switch everything when our big suits and we've got PJ and another smaller fit at the 4/5 with the bench unit.
    We're basically going to become read and react on both ends. Offensively with a big that can roll for the finish or pop for the 3 or plain spot up for the 3 while defensively we'll be running variations between switch everything but also doing the big in combination with 3 great perimeter defenders who can climb and swim through the screens well.

10. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

I feel like whoever gives Butler big money for 4-5 years will regret it in about two. Granted Chicago and Minnesota weren't great situations for various reasons, but having twice tantrum'd his way out of town, how long until he grows dissatisfied with the next team and becomes a cr@p teammate again?

Similar issue with Kyrie - he wasn't happy going to the Finals regularly beside an alltime great, and he wasn't happy being the main guy on arguably the most talented young team in the league. What does the next team have to offer that makes them confident he'll be happy this time??

11. basketballholic

STUBBORN is accurate. I may be wrong. All the info that I've received says I'm wrong. Of the NBA guys Ive talked to they all say he's signing a max deal.

And if he does im ok with going to the next deal and waiting for somebody else. Actually 2 somebody elses.

J Sizzle likes this.
  12. Manos

Manos Member

Simple...

Houston in: Butler/Hayward/Horford
    Boston in: Paul/Capella
    Philly in: Gordon/Nene

The money works,
    Boston gets a replacement for Irving and Horford, gets to move Hayward's contract
    Philly losing Butler anyway, gets Gordon and a backup 5
    random picks can be involved where ever needed

Those adds would keep Boston in the mix in the east and our line up would be nice, they'd have to sign some others on the cheap, maybe Faried, Rivers, Green type guys to fill in the 2nd unit, but this starting 5 could make some noise

C - Horford
    PF - Tucker
    SF - Hayward
    SG - Butler
    PG - Harden

13. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Horford's opting out in Boston. And CP3 is a toxic asset at this point - Boston's not going to do that to their cap. They're letting Horford walk because they realize giving big money to a 33 yr old likely to decline soon is likely to end poorly. Why do you think they're going to willingly add a $40M/yr contract for an older player already in visible decline?

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Just as I thought. I think the alternative is to get the BPA with the 5.7 M, and try to trade EG, Clint plus picks etc at the February deadline. Have a great day, Apache.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Another reminder. Horford may not opt out. (That's why Ainge is bent on moving out Haywood. Im surprised nobody else has caught wind yet of the possibility of Haywood being moved. Because it is a real possibility Haywood is moved before Sunday.)

Horford may elect to opt in and sign a smaller extension. Or opt in, be traded and then extend.

And Horford is very interested in coming here.

Best not to write a Horford opt out in stone until it's actually official.

16. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

According to NBC Sports, Horford's opt-in deadline was June 18th. https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/ce...-dates-player-options-contract-deadlines-loom

And the possibility of moving Hayward has been widely reported, but he has many of the CP3 problems - injury issues and visible decline in play, but his contract is for one fewer year and significantly fewer dollars.

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Interesting read. We have known for a while now Jimmy wants to grab that bag. Can the Rockets *back channel* convince him to do an Opt-in and take less in the first year? I'd love to believe that, but am skeptical.

I do think getting this S&T out in public from Woj is a Morey tactic to get the 76ers to be more aggressive in considering this option.

18. basketballholic

That was the deadline. It was probably extended.

Where's all the reports of Ainge possibly moving Hayward by Sunday????????

I don't see them.

19. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

"probably extended" - just an assumption on your part?

There are plenty of rumors out there about Hayward (and basically everybody else in the NBA) - just do your digging, it's out there.

20. basketballholic

Probably is not an assumption that it was. Probably means probably because it either favor all parties to extend the date to the 29th.

If Butler doesn't materialize...Horford and a youngster and a couple picks may be Rockets Sunday morning instead.