1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj on Sportscenter "Rockets are recruiting Jimmy Butler hard and might have a deal with him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 25, 2019.

1. riko

riko Member

James harden is the master recruiter. When Woj confirms it you know it’s real. Faking yesssssssssss

Lawlruschang likes this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

EDIT NVM - Thinking about roster hold mins.

3. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Butler is a good player but I think there are plenty of players they can fill that role without having to give someone a max salary. My concern is having 3 max salaries and having to backfill with scrubs. We’ll also lose several players off the bench that won’t be resigned because of cap space.

It’s just my opinion but Morey seems to get hyper focused on stars. So obsessed that he’s lost out plenty on other good players while chasing them. This goes all the way back to his days of chasing Chris Bosh. Then it was George Paul and Lebron James. Personally I don’t believe you have to sign a roster full of superstars to win a championship. Toronto is a good example of a solid roster with only one superstar that won it all. They had money to sign a lot of good players because they didn’t spend 90% of their salary on only three players. Just my two cents.

basso and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

Toronto was also fortunate to play in the East. They also played a beat up Warriors team. The West is a different story.

5. amaru

amaru Member

Butler is better than good.

Reeko, BigggReddd, Ramo$e and 4 others like this.
  6. riko

riko Member

At worst he is a top 20 player and easily a top 10 two way player in the nba.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Agreed.

Yet, fit is important. Butler was a below average fit on the Timberwolves.

He is a decent fit on the Sixers.

He isn't a shooter first and foremost, which poses the question, who of James or Chris is willing to spot up?

None of them are pure shooters. The spacing isn't ideal and they have to work it out.

Harden and Paul used to love driving, now Harden has become a jumpshooter half the time and Chris Paul's penetration skills have declined.

That would probably suit Jimmy.

It is interesting, Harden is trying sacrificing his touches I am sure.

#287 daywalker02, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    amaru and Lawlruschang like this.
  8. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Butler is a two way superstar whose top 15 player at least right now

Vivi, BaselineFade and raj87 like this.
  9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Name the 6'8 defensive studs who could score 15ppg or more who could fill the role??
    Then outline a reasonable way of getting them.
    Then demonstrate how they improve the team significantly over the players you have lost to bring them in.

'Backfilling' with scrubs isn't required. Instead wait on the buyout market - someone always shakes loose, and a chance to play with a core of 3 stars is quite attractive. Those guys can provide reliable depth for minimum salary.

10. riko

riko Member

Anyonelse feel Tom Thibodeau could be the next assistant coach and that was a selling point for Jimmy?

11. basketballholic

Nope. There's been a breach between them.

BigggReddd likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And if there weren't Thibs is hellbent on HC or...oblivion? Mr Peter Principle personified.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Let me break this down for you...
    1. Butler is not just a good player... full stop. Butler is a great player. He is a 20 PPG 2-way star that can hit threes and create his own offense. You say there are plenty of players that can fill that role? Well who? Why don't you name some?
    2. Your concern is irrelevant. You always get your core first and then figure out how to build around it. Morey has consistently shown great ability to find serviceable role players off the trash heap. There is a reason we got players like House, Faried, and Rivers during last season.
    3. Morey is not trying to sign a roster full of superstars. He is just trying to get a third star to our 1 superstar, arguably a 2nd if CP3 doesn't shape up soon.
    4. Your opinion is, for lack of better words, plain dumb. Of course Morey is focused on chasing stars. YOU NEED STARS TO WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS! Think of all the teams that have won a ring:
    • Raptors - Your point here is funny because 1) it changes halfway from stars to superstars and 2) they DO have multiple stars, namely a SUPERstar in MVP candidate Kwahi and star in Lowry. They also have fringe stars in Ibaka and Gasol. Even more luckily, they got to play against a really, really beat up Warriors team.
    • Warriors - 2 superstars, 2 stars, 1 aged fringe star in Iggy who is essentially their version of PJ Tucker.
    • Cavaliers - 1 superstar who is arguably a top 5 player in NBA history in LBJ, 1 fringe superstar in Irving, 1 star in Love
    • Spurs - 2 stars (formerly superstars) in Duncan and Parker, 1 developing star in Kwahi, 1 fringe star in Ginobli, and the best coach in NBA history
    • Heat - 3 superstars in LBJ, Wade, and Bosh
    In fact, you have to go all the way back to the 2010-11 Mavs to find a team where you can make an argument for a team winning with 1 star and even then, Kidd and Terry definitely played like stars during the playoffs. They also had Marion and Butler, both of whom were fringe stars. Point is, your entire opinion is based on highly improbable outliers, so much so that you can count on your hands the teams that have won with less than 2 stars.​

I believe your main thing is that you confuse star with superstar. No one is saying you need a roster chock full of superstars to win. People are saying that you DO however need 2 stars (one of them being a superstar definitely helps more) to viably win a championship. Getting 3 stars on a team further increases your ability to win and that's what the Rockets are trying to do here.

Wulaw Horn, Sajan and Drew_Le like this.
  14. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is just mincing words, I meant Tom Thibs never got the best out of him, the first year was alrite.

The total package wasn't there for me.

I think his point per game production went down to 18.7. He saw better days in Chicago.

BaselineFade likes this.
  16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I just listened to the Lowe pod with Woj.

My god. He said like 3 sentences of things that we heard before and that’s it. Why’d we get all excited????

Nelly likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Yawn.

Get it Done Morey.

Richie_Rich, Reeko and Vivi like this.
  19. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Are we in the red zone yet?

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We shouldn’t be excited about getting a meeting? There’s some smoke to this.. you just mad bc you been whining along with the other resident whiners and this doesn’t fit your negative narrative