1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. CRJ713

CRJ713 Member

This would be huge!

RyanB likes this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Yeesh...sign and trade just does not sound appealing.

3. TheSource

TheSource Member

I agree that is why I am holding out hope since Butler said he "intends" to opt out and maybe he will opt in and sixers agree to trade him to us but I doubt that happens

4. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

I thought jimmy butler already opt out? He didn’t make it official yet?

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

I think twice about it. (I'm actually against it. I know, thank gosh I'm not GM. ;))
    IF you thought they had no bench/zero depth now, they'll have zero depth later ... like as in Mike will be forced to play Trevon Duval & Chris Chiozza & Michael Frazier.
    Hard-capped, can't add anyone.
    Chris Paul will miss his 15-20 games. Are Duval, Chiozza & Frazier filling in?
    Just plugging one hole while opening another.

Paul-Gordon-Harden-Tucker-Capela
    MLE signing
    Can re-sign Shumpert to a larger deal if you wanted
    Can still trade Gordon & Capela - combined or individually.
    Flexibility to make trades/signings/buyouts later in the season
    MIN8, MIN9, MIN10, MIN11, MIN12, MIN13, MIN14

Paul-Harden-Butler-Tucker-???
    MLE signing
    MIN6(G.Green?), MIN7(Clark?), MIN8(Hartenstein?), MIN9(Duval?), MIN10(Frazier?), MIN11(Chiozza?), MIN12, MIN13, MIN14
    Hard-capped, roster filled with minimum signings, can't go over no matter what

Raptors just won with depth (& the board was so complimentary of Kawhi's supporting cast & how much help he had) but we're gonna deplete the little remaining "depth" and ...? Or hell, the Sixers themselves. Traded all their depth for Harris/Butler. Built the best starting five (outside of Golden State said the talking heads) and what behind them? Shake Milton? James Ennis? Jonah Bolden? Amir Johnson? Greg Monroe? Mike Scott? Boban?

Now if he opts in & they're not hard-capped, sure I guess but otherwise?

D-rock and mikol13 like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Opting in is the action. Opting out is waiting.

7. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

I see thanks mate

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Makes me wonder if Tilman is telling Morey to get Butler by any means, even if it’s not the smartest way.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Oh man I can see it now. All of the pre-complaining has already started.

The rumors have indicated that JB wants no part of the opt in. We gotta do what we gotta do!

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm a bit confused... if we S&T for Butler could we use a full MLE, or a tax payer MLE, or absolutely no MLE?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

With Houston, feels like pulling a damn arm & a leg to get these guys in the door. :D
    Like we gotta deplete the roster in the process.

OK, gonna need to cobble together all these non-guaranteed deals along with 4 rotational players and a pick and then opt in and we have a deal! And now hope Philadelphia cooperates, find a third team, move two more rotational pieces (maybe a pick) out and we have a deal!

Kyrie? We'll give you a broken Isaiah Thomas & Jae Crowder.
    Al Horford? We'll sign with cap space.

Knicks/Nets? Gonna sign Kyrie & Durant (or whoever) into cap space.
    Clippers? Gonna sign Kawhi (or whoever) into cap space.

Cavs? Welcome home LeBron! (Cap space)
    Lakers? Welcome to LA LeBron! (Cap space)
    (They did give a haul for Davis)

Mavs? Gonna sign Kemba or Horford or Middleton (or whoever) into cap space.
    Kristaps? We'll take him for washed up veterans Wes Matthews, DeAndre & Dennis Smith. (They did take back Hardaway & Lee's contracts but still have cap space!)

Kevin Durant? No problem, we'll move Bogut to Dallas & renounce Barnes.
    DeMarcus? Here's $5.7M.

This will come across as a shot at Morey since I'm a hater/negative but not what I meant here. As I said in the other post above, if Jimmy were to opt in, then go for it but not feeling the hard cap, big two, minimum roster. *Thank gosh you aren't GM!*

#531 J.R., Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    J Sizzle likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I agree. But as Bima pointed out...that path is a lot less appealing and has a lot more downside.

It is what it is and we need to roll the dice, but it’s not the guaranteed slam dunk many are trying to paint it as.

13. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Even if he opted in, I still don't trust Landry's to spend the MLE or bird right $$.

14. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

People here might want to kill this post and look at it negatively because most everyone wants Jimmy. That said, it makes perfect sense.

Rockets will be hard pressed to upgrade this team if Jimmy doesn’t opt in and get traded to Houston. Yes Houston gets it’s 3rd star, but will guys come here for the minimum? Not so sure. Like J.R. says we will lack depth. It is a big deal imo.

Here is to hoping Jimmy really wants to win, (which I believe he does) understands this and decides to opt in. I’m more than sure Morey and company will lay it out as best as possible.

bballjunkie and J.R. like this.
  15. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Only way the team gets better is an opt-in. CP3 did it and got 65 wins and Rockets kept their word and gave him one of the biggest contracts in the league. Morey WILL NOT hard cap himself, mainly because of the late season buyout market. Morey has repeatedly said in recent interviews that he feels good about chances of landing a star AND getting a good player with the MLE. I can only imagine if the Rockets have a chance, Butler has to be bluffing about opting out to create urgency for Philadelphia.

I realize that it's rare for a player to turn down the max and wait, and I'm not sold on Butler actually doing it. But if he did, what he's saying now would be the perfect things to say to mitigate what the Rockets have to sacrifice to get him. Either he opts in and comes here or opts out and gets paid somewhere else. No way Morey gives up his starting center and with no means to replace him.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not huge for him as Butler would only get close to 20 million if he opted in the old deal and he only got 2-3 days to do so.

Correct me if wrong.

17. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

If it’s a S&T I’d almost say it’s a push or even step back for this year given the hard cap, but it’s a move to secure a 3rd star and then retool next year. Risky imo, but maybe that’s DM upping the risk profile to secure a 3rd star....the cost is sacrificing a year....which with CP3 is a big gamble.

harold bingo, sammy and mikol13 like this.
  18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

There’s no way Daryl Morey and the Rockets are trying to take a step back in 2019-2020 with the Warriors banged up. This is the team’s best chance at a championship.

19. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Is a team of CP3, Harden, Butler, Tucker + $6m TPMLE player + 7 minimum players worse, the same or better than this current roster in your opinion?

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]