1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj on Sportscenter "Rockets are recruiting Jimmy Butler hard and might have a deal with him"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 25, 2019.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Adding Butlers talent could be the recipe for a championship...
    Adding Butlers ego and everything to Hardens and CP3s could be the making of a total meltdown...
    eh... maybe we will see....

Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

All for it ... assuming Jimmy actually wants to come and philly will tango

I remain skeptical , but I'm hopeful

3. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Real talk. I would welcome Butler here but this deal has the potential to become a mess

Jimmy B is a volatile character and he is not afraid to call anyone out. I can see Butler calling out Harden for not playing D and Harden getting sensitive over it and things going downhill

Risk reward.

Let's go for it

4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol to me Clint doesnt have a high IQ. It's no one a high IQ guy would get taking away in the playoffs. He didnt know how to counter gsw taking the alley away. N to me it was simple what he had to do next. Take a guy like Draymond who cant even shot. But efforts the game cause his high IQ.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The Raptors won out the playoffs because they had at least 7 players that can get buckets.
    Kawhi Siakam Lowry VanVleet Ibaka Gasol Green. Powell also showed up and OG was injured.
    Not saying those guys are prolific scorers but those are 9 names that can easily drop double digit points as a normal game. You don’t need all of them to have that game to win.

This trade scenario would make us ridiculously thin. Not saying I’m against it. I think it would be so fking cool to have Harden and Jimmy on one team. But this is very dangerous. Can’t afford a single injury in the postseason, plus we don’t know who were going to keep.

Also it may be one of those things like when we wanted Melo the year before we got him, it sounds cool but just doesn’t work out. But Jimmy is a baller. That a worst case scenario that I can’t see happen.

I don’t know how to feel. I’ll just keep denying it has legs.

justtxyank likes this.
  6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

So who's pushing this story to the media, and what's the purpose? Not sure what the Rockets get out of this story (although the Chronicle has been promoting something similar). If I were to guess, Jimmy's team is using Hou as leverage on Philly to offer the 5-year max (as others have noted).

Not trying to be cynical or pessimistic. Just having trouble understanding who benefits from this story.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

hoping this story is to pressure an opt in and trade scenario.

luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Why wouldn’t he use a team with actual cap space as leverage? I don’t see how threatening to go to HOU, something he can’t even do unless Philly agrees to a trade or Morey clears a ridiculous amount of salary, would be the move to create leverage.

9. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Could go either way, but I am willing to take this risk. I don't really recall Houston having this kind of opportunity in a while.

kjayp likes this.
  10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Dwight.

D-rock and Sean Dr34ms like this.
  11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Jordan can do what u need Clint to.do. done

matchesmalone likes this.
  12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

13. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

We need some more of that. CP Tuck and vocal butler could help w accountability

amaru, Reeko, kjayp and 2 others like this.
  14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Get ur logic out of.here lol

15. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

If we SNT for Jimmy and invoke the hard cap that would leave us with

Paul
    Harden
    Butler
    Tucker

With 20 million in room left before the apron. That does not include shump errs birds rights, TPMLE/NTMLE, BAE. If theoretically you could get DAJ or any other big at TPMLE. Rivers with non bird. BAE on a wing willing to take it and shump on a 1 year 9 mill deal to take on a 11 million wing.

It would be very tight and hard capped for a year. But it’s manageable.

Relativist likes this.
  16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Sounds awesome but losing Gordon and Capela would be brutal.

17. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I would offer Jordan a 4-year the deal at the NT MLE (since we're hard capped anyway) a la Tucker, and I bet he would consider it. It is definitely a pay cut, but perhaps not that ridiculous a pay cut in this market. I know Clutch discussed this early on.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Couldn't we do an opt-in and trade instead, and then not be hard capped?

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

What could go wrong?

jcf likes this.
  20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is in keeping with what I've heard - the Rockets are planning on aggressively trying to improve the team - if the deal is there to be made, they will make it, provided everyone is on board.

Thanks for the credit Woj...:rolleyes: