1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Ok here’s a deadline plan:

Astros get:
    RHP Noah Syndergaard
    RHP Seth Lugo
    1B Todd Frazier

Mets get:
    RHP Corbin Martin
    RHP Josh James
    OF Derek Fisher
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    2B Luis Santana

Indians get:
    1B Tyler White
    LF Tony Kemp
    RF Josh Reddick
    IF Aledmys Diaz
    C Max Stassi
    RHP Chris Devenski
    RHP Brandon Bielak
    $5M

Astros get:
    C Roberto Perez
    LHP Brad Hand

Resulting roster:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    LF Brantley
    SS Correa
    DH Alvarez
    1B Frazier
    RF Tucker
    C Chirinos

Bench: Gurriel, Marisnick, Perez

Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Syndergaard, Peacock, Miley

Bullpen: Valdez, McHugh, Harris, Rondon, Lugo, Hand, Pressly, Osuna

#461 Snake Diggit, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

That first trade makes a lot of sense, and I think there are enough high-ceiling pieces on our end for the Mets to consider it.

That second trade is weird to me, though. It's basically dumping every AAAA player on our roster for a backup catcher and a RP. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Hand, and I'm not even saying the deal's imbalanced, it's just... weird.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Both deals involve too many players to be realistic. But I think both are close in terms of overall value and what makes sense for both teams. The Indians likely plan to deal Santana but will likely want to compete again next year with Kluber and Carrasco healthy, so they will be looking for pieces that can help them next year. White replaces Santana and both Kemp and Reddick serve as upgrades in their OF. Stassi is a cheap replacement for Perez (Indians have severe payroll constraints), and Devenski helps replace Hand in their pen. Diaz could be their starting 2B and serve as insurance at SS if they get a godfather offer for Lindor. Astros will be looking for an upgrade at backup C and Perez fits the mold.

4. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Not sure losing 9 guys that have been on our MLB roster at some point of this season is a real wise move chemistry wise.

jsingles, RKREBORN and texans1095 like this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Out of all the guys going out in those 2 hypothetical deals, only Reddick has any kind of meaningful clubhouse presence. However, I am not sure about the personalities of the guys coming in. If Frazier or Thor or Lugo are pricks it probably wouldn’t be a good idea to add them.

The more I think about it, if they’re going to do a blockbuster it may be best to just stick with the Indians:

Astros get:
    RHP Shane Bieber
    LHP Brad Hand
    C Roberto Perez
    1B Carlos Santana

Indians get:
    RHP Corbin Martin
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    1B Seth Beer
    UT Josh Rojas
    RHP Josh James
    C Max Stassi
    1B Tyler White
    RF Josh Reddick
    LF Tony Kemp

Htown Legend likes this.
  6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I say this respectfully... there is no evidence whatsoever that @Snake Diggit *actually* watches games - which is by no means a reflection of his knowledge of the team/sport. He just can't possibly have the time between concocting hourly 12-player, 4-team trade ideas, LOL.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Everybody should be able to enjoy the sport in whatever way suits them best.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Hey, man - more power to ya. No issues.

9. HTown2017Champs

Here are my notes: Interesting trade ideas with the Indians. Roberto Perez is an interesting candidate, but he's not a rental, has 1.5 years left, and 2 more years of team options. He's sneaky good, has about the same numbers as Chirinos, I bet they trade him by himself to a team that needs a starting catcher, not a backup (like Tampa?) for a larger haul. Not quite what we need, we need someone who can eat innings from Chirinos and give Robby some much-needed rest. Astros probably would prefer to snag a cheap rental (Lucroy? Vogt?) and then re-sign Chirinos, as I would do.
    Hand I would really love to get if the Indians will trade him. Really wanted him the last 2 years as well. For 1B, Jake Bauers could help us, great potential in his bat, good defense and speed, but he looks to be crowded on their roster with Bradley and Santana. Indians kind of look to regret the trade for him. I love Santana, but for reasons I've already outlined (he loves being an Indian, one of the faces of the team), doubt he's moved. Wish Kluber was healthy. Tyler Bauer would also be a good trade target if not for his beef with Cole.

Of the Mets guys, I don't want Frazier, don't really care for him (and he just strikes me as a prick type), and he'd be out of position at 1B. Thor's injury history concerns me, too. Lugo is very intriguing, but I get the feeling they won't trade him to us. Would love Wheeler if we could secure an extension.

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. HTown2017Champs

I heard the Bumgarner to MIN rumors too, but that's all they were. Would really love to add Will Smith to our pen. But if we can't get him, Tony Watson is a great alternative, and probably an even better clubhouse fit.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Straw
    Bukauskas
    C. Perez
    Fisher
    Devenski

For

Mad Bum
    Will Smith

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We are a pretty young team at the ML level and just need to lock in SP to really have a 3 year window. What would Tucker fetch us in trade?

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

That's an awful lot for two rentals, unless we give at least one an extension.

I'd say either Stroman + Smoak, or Matt Boyd, or Robbie Ray + Swihart/Holland. He's also a good headliner in a Scherzer package, but the Nats are showing indications that he won't be moved.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Not interested in Boyd. He pitches in one of the most pitcher friendly parks and his home/road splits for his career are not good. He started off the season nicely but is starting to regress to his mean. He got beat up his last 2 starts which were on the road against the Royals and Indians.

Career splits
    Home
    50 starts, 282.1 IP, 3.92 ERA, 1.187 WHIP, 42 HR, .720 OPS

Road
    52 starts, 272.1 IP, 5.75 ERA, 1.447 WHIP, 51 HR, .825 OPS

16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No way. Way too much.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With Corbin Martin going down and Whitley/Alvarez/Tucker untouchable, here’s how I see the tiers of trade chips Houston has available with the deadline in 5 weeks:

Tier 1 (headliners in deals for a controllable star player):
    None, unless they decide to make Tucker, Alvarez, or Whitley available

Tier 2 (headliners or co-headliners in deals for star rentals or borderline stars with remaining control):
    RHP Josh James
    RHP JB Bukauskas
    OF Derek Fisher
    1B Seth Beer

Tier 3 (meaningful pieces of deals for good players):
    LHP Framber Valdez
    OF Myles Straw
    C Garrett Stubbs
    UT Josh Rojas
    LHP Cionel Perez
    RHP Rogelio Armenteros
    RHP Jose Urquidy
    3B Abraham Toro
    RHP Bryan Abreu
    RHP Tyler Ivey
    RHP Jojanse Torres
    IF Freudis Nova

Tier 4 (throw-ins for roster, financial, or finish line reasons):
    1B Tyler White
    OF Tony Kemp
    C Max Stassi
    RP Chris Devenski
    1B AJ Reed
    OF Drew Ferguson
    RHP Brandon Bielak
    RP Riley Ferrell
    RHP Brady Rodgers
    RP Reymin Guduan
    OF Ronnie Dawson
    RHP Cristian Javier
    RHP Brandon Bailey
    RHP Enoli Paredes
    SS Jonathan Arauz
    IF Enmanuel Valdez
    RHP Brett Conine
    SS Jeremy Pena
    OF Alex McKenna
    IF Luis Santana
    RHP Heitor Tokar
    RHP Manny Ramirez

I expect Houston to add a backup catcher and a reliever using tier 3 and tier 4 guys. They will have to use multiple Tier 2 guys to headline a deal for a SP.

18. HTown2017Champs

I agree with that, and of course he doesn't have "name brand" either, but he has control, as well as EXCELLENT K and BB numbers. That's what I like about him. I'm not asking him to supplant JV as our staff ace, just solidify the #3 or #4 spot for a few years. Could be improved upon with work from Strom and JV, but maybe not. Robbie Ray has insane swing and miss stuff, if we can get him and teach him to consistently throw strikes that would be amazing. Maybe, Stroman + Smoak, and Vogt + Smith to fulfill all our needs in just 2 trades? Though for backup C, I would prefer Lucroy (and we have done business with LAA before [and yes, for a C], despite being in the division). And for reliever, I kinda prefer someone with more control, though Smith is excellent and could be extended.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't want a typical 3/4 pitcher. We have that already with Miley and Peacock who both have better numbers than Boyd right now and both have playoff experience which Boyd does not. I want someone to pitch game 3 of the ALDS after Verlander and Cole. If he's not clear cut better than Miley or Peacock than just hold on to what we have in the rotation and add to the bullpen.

Ray is a shinier version of Framber. Great stuff but can't control it, and I would still start Miley over Ray in game 3. So he doesn't fit what I want.

Syndergaard, Stroman.....those are the names I'm interested in. I would take a chance on Wheeler and see what Strom can do with him, but he wouldn't cost nearly what Boyd will cost in terms of prospects. Wheeler has elite stuff and that plays in the playoffs. See Nathan Eovaldi and Charlie Morton the last 2 years.

20. HTown2017Champs

Syndergaard concerns me with his injuries. Not to sound pessimistic, but I think he's going down the Chris Archer career path. Wheeler is my #1 choice, better than Stroman IMO, but no control after this year (unless we extend him). Peacock, I really want moved to the playoff pen, based on his results from 2017, so ideally, we trade for someone to start game 3 or 4. If we can't add to our rotation for future years at the deadline, I guess we can do something next offseason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.