1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is your Realistic Target for a taxpayer MLE free agent this offseason.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, May 28, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Every team is TRYING to get better but not all will. I’m not sure it’s an easy argument to say this team will be worse by “standing pat” even though I think that’s kind of a misrepresentation. I think it’s pretty easy for me to argue a reasonably healthy season and some stability in the organization would’ve had them right back around 65 wins and #1 seed. That given a reasonably healthy season and some organizational stability my example 10 man roster probably dominates the West.

It won’t be the tallest roster for sure, but at least there’s like actually forwards and one 7’ human being worth playing on my roster.

pippendagimp likes this.
  2. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Under the assumption that we aren’t making any trades. I think he clear need for help is the wing.

We’ve already got 3 backcourt guys taking all the minutes.

We’ve only got 1 guy for the wings and smallball 5

1 center who will play defense and rim roll. We obviously should put money and assets into a 3/4/5 with a decent shot and defense

This is hard to come by for just 5.6 million (do not think we can use NT MLE since we are already over the apron).

Realistically the only kind of guys that would take the TPMLE or deserving of it are veterans looking for stability and to win.

I think this leaves us with the following options.

Aminu (doubt pdx lets him go)
    Barnes (pipe dream)
    Demarre
    Thaddeus young (check out percent at the corners and attempts 45% of 3s from there. If we up it to 70% I think he’s the next PJ)
    Marcus Morris

I think those are the targets with the TMLE. Out of the bunch I love Barnes but he’ll get a good payday. Thaddeus and demarre are great players that fit our culture.

joshuaao likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock, Vivi and YOLO like this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not sure why Brooklyn would sign DeAndre when they have Allen, i mean, if it gives them a better chance to get Durant might be worth it, but he would either limit Allen's minutes/development or come off the bench.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Per @KellyUnchained

Potential target: Aminu
    50/50 on whether Rivers is back. They want him but can't offer much more than what they paid him this year

D-rock, Vivi and matchesmalone like this.
  6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

[​IMG]

6-8. 6-11 wingspan. Tenacious on the court. Shoots around 40% from 3. Throw the full Tax Payer MLE at him and it should get him here on a three year deal. He'd be perfect next to Tucker.

#166 treyk3, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    BallaDoc likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can't afford to pay him more than $922,943?

Sure they can.

They can offer the MLE. And he may get more than the MLE.

But can't offer more than the prorated vet minimum contract? LOL

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. justtxyank

I think he means they aren't going to be in a position to offer him more than his 1 year raise off last year because they are earmarking the MLE for a bigger signing.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. BigBum

BigBum Member

Rivers speculation 2year 20 million, but he likes the team and he wants to stay if money is right.

10. tc0330

tc0330 Member

D’Angelo Russell to LA momentum is growing. The Nets are expected to renounce D’Lo and the Lakers could offer Russell roughly $20 Million per year, per @arye_abraham.

Vivi likes this.
  11. justtxyank

So awesome.

J Sizzle and tc0330 like this.
  12. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

Good, a LeBron, AD, DLo trio coached by Vogel is the best case scenario after they traded for AD.

Hakeemtheking and BallaDoc like this.
  13. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Derrick Rose

Fantasma Negro and matchesmalone like this.
  14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They can offer Rivers about $2.6 million via Non-Bird rights. I’d be surprised if they weren’t willing to offer him at least a 1+1 Non-Bird deal (2 years, $5.3 million, player option in Year 2). I don’t think he takes that (he’ll have much richer offers), but that’s at least more than the vet minimum.

(FWIW, I’d definitely consider him among a pool of players on which to use the MLE.)

D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I would too …

But damn , that means you aren't adding anyone else of significance (via free agency).

Morey really handcuffed himself.

Not using last years MLE … seems a colossal mistake and a waste of an asset (I wonder if they had offered House the remainder , after Clark & Hartenstein's contracts , would he have taken it?)

So many moves last season were not "Morey like." He's always been the collector of assets , not the guy throwing them away.

Hakeemtheking and BallaDoc like this.
  16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

this what i been saying. the dudes we think we can sign for vet minimum or the MLE, whatever, just not gonna happen if they got big names. cause you know opposing teams gonna take out that check book and steal theyre ass away. it is what it is, we gotta make a/some splash trade(s)

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

Espn marks says Beverley will get 14-15 million per year.

18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Gee, I wonder what changed?
    [​IMG]

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Good" thing the Rockets have no cap space to burn.

Corrosion and Vivi like this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Would prefer to keep Rivers over him but Aminu would be a solid addition.

D-rock likes this.