1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you tip these workers?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by aeroman10, Apr 16, 2014.

1. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Thx for the quick reply, Buck.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

check the edit

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  3. OmegaSupreme

Thanks. Though I know he was joking, I didn't want to get this look...

...from the workers.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

If you can’t afford to tip 20%, you can’t afford to go out to eat.

Nook and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

hell nah, I wouldn’t tip any of those people...I don’t even know anyone who does either

Why should I tip the cable guy, the exterminator, or AAA for doing their job?

I’ll offer drinks and snacks, and sometimes if the guy is just a great dude, let’s say he charges me $180, I’ll give him $200 and say keep the change, but in general, no, I don’t feel obligated to tip

#45 Reeko, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    RasaqBoi likes this.
  6. VanityHalfBlack

[​IMG]

I don't know, this guy seems shady to me?

Surfguy likes this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

is it racist to buy taco bell for the moving guys i hired near home depot? it's usually a half day deal where they help load and unload so they would need replenishment.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I usually tip people who I felt gave a crap about their craft.

Those people are generally the type who will give you a weird look, but it's my way of saying thanks for not ripping me off.

9. droxford

droxford Member

"The reason why we tip is to show respect to the service provider," said Diane Gottsman, an etiquette expert.

I completely disagree with this statement. The reason we tip is to provide a motive to the service provider to provide quality service. Example: a waiter is motivated to provide better service in order to get a better tip. This is why wait staff get paid below minimum wage.

Although I don't approve of the tipping system, it's the world we live in and I play my part in the system (as customer) providing bigger tips to wait staff who provide better service (and lower tips to those who don't).

I do NOT understand this obsession that America has with tipping those who make minimum wage or more... and the list of people that you "should" tip continues to grow each year, thanks to such nincompoops as Diane Gottsman.

Note: There may be a few exceptions to my rule above, such as...

We should tip pizza delivery people if they have to pay for their own fuel costs, which essentially drops their take-home pay below minimum wage.

Yes, when workmen are at my house, I offer them cold bottles of water. I don't consider that a tip - it's an act of courtesy.

Yes, I tip live musicians because, although they receive pay from the club/bar/restaurant, their pay must be split among band members, and their pay is probably not consistent, resulting in getting infrequent amounts of money which are probably less than a weekly minimum wage paycheck.

If service people go "off-invoice" and give me more service than I'm supposed to receive, I absolutely tip them (because, really, I'm paying them for giving me more than I was supposed to receive).

Jontro likes this.
  10. Sajan

Sajan Member

I don't tip for things I order at the counter and take myself.

Like say at these hipster coffee places..I am not going to pay 4 bucks for coffee and then tip 20%. For what? Making the coffee? What's the 4 for then?
    These damn "Square" machines make it so obvious too. The person behind you is watching to see what you are going to pick.

I used to tip my barber 20% when he was working at a shop. Now he is independent and doing it out of his apartment, plus he raised his rate by 5 bucks. So I just pay what the rate is and nothing more.

11. likestohypeguy

I've gone to an amateur for my cuts, the tipping situation no small factor in that decision (didn't realize until after many years not supposed to tip the owner, and I was overtipping him). amazingly still get just as good a cut, just takes twice as long.

12. OmegaSupreme

bump again for a quick question...

are you supposed to tip the service advisor at the dealership when picking up your vehicle after it was serviced?

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

My dealer moved their surveys to Facebook. I'm not doing anything on no f-ing Facebook. They made that move. I'm not in. You want me to take an online survey...just give me a direct link to one with no login b****es.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Do you tip your pool guy? Tennis coach? Gardener?

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i saw this the other day on reddit. 20% gratuity included in the bill for people selling merch at joe rogans comedy mothership in austin.

[​IMG]

FranchiseBlade and B-Bob like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

ElPigto and B-Bob like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If it's a big dealership, I would say no. If it's a mom-n-pop type mechanic shop in the neighborhood, I would consider tipping good work. But maybe this differentiation is illogical.

OmegaSupreme likes this.
  18. Jontro

Jontro Member

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

That's an insult.

Came back from argentina and chile last week....tips: OPTIONAL.
    and even when you do....10% is standard..

when did 20% become the minimum here?!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1384601/average-tip-amount-us/

ryan_98 and ElPigto like this.
  20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

People just want to give away their money. Americans love feeling like they are good people and one way is by giving a 20-25% tip. Instant gratification.