1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul going Vegan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 23, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The elephant in the room on this subject, which is just briefly mentioned at the end of the article, is that algae does produce both substantial and bioavailable EPA & DHA. While algae technically isn't a plant, it also isn't an animal, or even fungi or bacteria. There is absolutely no vegan or vegetarian that has ever brought up algae as a non-vegan food source.

Considering the dietary purpose from all ethical, health, environmental standpoints on the vegan diet, algae is essentially is for all intents purpose a vegan-friendly source of food, much like a plant. Honey for example, is heavily debated within the vegan community, algae is not and never has been. For another example, the largest and most complex marine algae are generally called seaweeds, it's just in an odd spot on being categorized with it being such a unique organism.

So with this being considered, it thoroughly defeats the statement "The Brain needs animal fat", as well as the entire article for the most part. I have a very hard time believing the author of the article doesn't understand this considering she even brings up at that algae is a vegan/vegetarian friendly source of EPA/DHA, which brings into question the morality of the article, and what the MD was trying to accomplish with the headline.

#61 ThatBoyNick, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. vick

vick Member

Bill Walton was a vegan while playing basketball. He had problems.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I was vegetarian for 30 years and vegan for 25. Chronic Lyme disease and other health issues forced me into an extreme, anti-inflammatory diet and eventually I really needed the strength that eating meat gave me. It's a struggle every day. I loved being vegan and I hate not being vegan. I just didn't have a choice in the matter.

A young, healthy guy like Chris Paul, who can afford to have the right meals prepared for him, should only benefit from a vegan diet. I'm all for it.

BallaDoc likes this.
  4. Rocketsfan3422

An athlete that doesn't eat meat is a fool. meat from grass fed, grass finished cows is so good for you. Chicken..... Amazing. Chris pretty much said that he's doing it for a better future for the Earth.... So if we all stopped eating animals there would be more problems then us eating them. It's called the circle of life. Lion King can't come out any sooner...

5. jacoby

jacoby Member

This is the stupidest post I've ever read.

glimmertwins and whiskeyred like this.
  6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Plant based diets are extremely beneficial. Most of the cardiologists and cardiac pathologists I work with are very pro vegetarian and encouraging the rest of our staff through lectures to shy away from meats and fats.

whiskeyred, jacoby and amaru like this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

Probably some backlash due to the more radical vegans claiming that their food is "cruelty-free" and those who eat meat are murders.

8. jacoby

jacoby Member

Plants areusually inherently cruelty-free, and those who eat meat are complicit in murder.

9. amaru

amaru Member

Tell that to the children being forced to work in these fields and the underpaid adult workers. Seems like there's quite a bit of cruelty in the vegetarian lifestyle.

Blurr#7, Grizzlyshark and BigggReddd like this.
  10. MettaWorldPete

I live in Austin now, but this is a great list. Went to the Astros game for Father’s Day (oops) but got some Korny Vibes the day before...good stuff.

Uchi and Uchiko have the best vegan food in Austin as well.

Williamson likes this.
  11. lilbird20

lilbird20 Member

Yahoo sources: Chris Paul reportedly not vegan....still beefing with James Harden.

amaru likes this.
  12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Cool. Leave it to the Vegans to be offended.

Going vegan hasn't seemed to help many basketball players, most NBA players who have gone vegan end up letting go of the diet.

Kyrie: Injury prone.
    Dame: Lost too much weight, quit the diet.
    Javale: is Javale
    Jahlil: Sucks

Who else?

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It's almost like you can be in favor of different diets for different people. Should LeBron be a vegan? No, he plays upwards of 82 basketball games a year. He's 6'8, 240. He's built to eat meat. Should Tony Finau be vegan? Maybe, golf is a bit nuanced with less rigorous movement.

Do I want Chris Paul to find success as a vegan? F*ck yes, and I'll gladly eat crow. Should he lose weight? YES. But it's definitely worrisome as a guy who's already injury prone.

14. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This will be a huge problem going forward. Harden and Paul’s relationship will fail.

No more invites to Steakhouses with Harden. $627 Steaks ...smothered in A1 sauce.

Paul won’t attend Strip Clubs either.... Wings only bruh.

BeardNation13 likes this.
  15. Exiled

Exiled Member

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

Do you care to show me a study that positively links vegan diets to an increased likelihood to get injured?

Also, why single out vegan athletes who get hurt? Didn't KD just tear his achilles? Don't a lot of NBA players who eat meat suck? I am struggling to understand your point.

Most guys in the league eat a bunch of fast food and nobody bats an eye, but when they start taking their health seriously and go plant-based, all of the sudden it's a big deal. Lol.

GermanRoxFan, Game7 and Williamson like this.
  17. GottaHaveHeart

18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I singled out the entirety of known vegan NBA players.

Probably because the majority of them understand it's not a healthy lifestyle when you have over 95 flights and 82 games in a season.

19. jacoby

jacoby Member

Can you explain how it isn't a healthy lifestyle please?

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Please read all of my posts in this thread and stop searching for an argument because I'm not getting into it with heated vegans.

I've already explained that it's an ideal lifestyle for many people, just not f.cking basketball players. NBA athletes are NOT like golfers, tennis players or fighters as they fight only a handful of times a year. They are NOT like us.