1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Paul going Vegan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 23, 2019.

1. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

Definitely should have mentioned that.

glimmertwins likes this.
  2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he needs to be shooting thousands of 3's every day this summer. and it's okay to be vegan but personally i would not eat processed gmo soy burgers from a factory. give me fresh meat from a butcher over that

Lurch likes this.
  3. rockets13champs

When there’s no halal food then I become vegan but I will only eat seafood, crabs, lobster and cray fish baby!

HP3 likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not sure you understand the concept of going vegan. Or even vegetarian.

Vegetarian = doesn't eat meat of any kind; beef, chicken, pork, seafood, rabbit, frog, etc. Will eat dairy products.

Vegan = no animal products AT ALL. nothing that came from an animal (except maybe honey, and some vegans don't even go there)

#44 topfive, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Game7 and BallSoHarden like this.
  5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If you're a big veg head, just order the steak salad at Saltgrass and eat around the meat. The boiled eggs are on the house.

[​IMG]

6. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I think he was joking.

I know part of this is a marketing ploy but I did randomly just buy these burgers last week and am interested to try them. I had an impossible burger a few weeks ago in the med center and it wasn't great, but that could have been from overcooking. Not going vegetarian or anything, but it'd be nice to have another easy dinner option available that is easy, healthy, and doesn't expire quickly.

dc rock and topfive like this.
  7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The stock actually had better returns during pre-IPO, post road show trading. $25->$75

But yeah, they’re already going to be profitable in 2019, it’s definitely real.

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I live with two vegans and a pescatarian (eats seafood, but no other animal meat), so I've tried all these burger substitutes. They used to be absolutely terrible, but are slowly getting more palatable. Beyond Meat and Impossible Burger are the two big competitors in the fake-hamburger market, and fast food places are already offering them; Burger King is rolling out an Impossible Whopper and Carl's Jr./Hardy's has a Beyond Meat Burger. Of the two, neither of them really tastes like beef, but Beyond Meat does come closer. It even remains a little pink in the middle of the burger. It's close enough to please someone who hasn't had the real thing in a while. I didn't like the Impossible Burger nearly as much.

I first heard of Beyond Meat about six years ago, when Whole Foods started carrying their fake chicken. That stuff is pretty close in texture and "mouth feel" and works great in dishes like chicken salads or Indian masalas, where the chicken isn't the entire focus.

I spent my first 30 years in Houston and the idea of not eating meat is something I can't wrap my brain around. I'm just waiting for the day when that lab meat they grow from a few actually cow muscle cells is ready for mass consumption.

Game7, amaru, Matt78777 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's way more common than you realize. And I don't know anything about Arian because I don't follow football but Kyrie had always been injury prone.

https://www.businessinsider.com/veg...changed-their-diet-11#jack-wilshere-soccer-19

10. Williamson

I'm going to firmly disagree on being vegan and sports not mixing and beg that you get more educated about this topic before making a blanket statement like that. Starting with Houstonian Carl Lewis in the 1980's there have been a lot of vegans performing at a very high level. I just shared an article about 19 of them. But there are many more.

Game7, MettaWorldPete and ISOBall like this.
  11. Williamson

I've done it for 23 years. It's fine.

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Carl Lewis became a vegan in 1990. I looked it up to confirm and unfortunately the first link Google lists for "Carl Lewis vegan" is from some weirdo anti-vegan blog. I like brisket, salmon, sardines, etc. but I don't get why people are determined to prove vegans wrong. Chris Paul knows his body better than anyone else, if he feels healthier on this diet, good for him and for us.

ISOBall and Williamson like this.
  13. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Off topic but from far away I thought your profile pic was Spider-Man hanging upside down lol

14. rockets13champs

What are some good vegan spots

xaos likes this.
  15. Williamson

Right now my two favorite are food trucks. Houston Sauce Co. and Korny Vibes. They both do comfort foods. Houston Sauce Co has a bit of a cajun/soul food slant while Korny Vibes is primarily Tex Mex. follow them on Instagram if you want to find them.

Here are some of my other favorites.

If I'm feeling fancy:

Uchi
    Hugo's

Neither are vegan but both are fantastic at accommodating vegans. Most fine dining restaurants in Houston make vegans feel like secondary citizens. Not these two. I definitely don't feel like I'm missing out on anything in either of those spots.

every day brick & mortar spots:

Verdine

Just opened a few months ago on 19th. Their bistro burger is fantastic and I love the jackfruit tacos.

Local Foods (but specifically the one at Kirby and Westheimer)

They all have great vegan options but the Kirby location has vegan specials every single day.

Asian:

You can get vegan vietnamese, thai and chinese dishes at basically any vietnamese, thai or chinese restaurant. But these are some of my favorites:

In chinatown, Quan Yin, Pine Forest Garden and Loving Hut are 100% vegan. In upper kirby you can find Pepper Tree (I mostly only go for lunch for the buffet).

And also in Third Ward/Museum Park area there is a place called Green Seed and another called Vegan Soul Food.

On the Northwest Side I hear that there is a Mexican joint called Veegos but I don't really leave the inner loop too often so I haven't been there.

16. SuraGotMadHops

I remember when Arian Foster went vegan for two weeks then posted a pic on Twitter from Frenchy's

17. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

Yes this. Once lab meat is affordable and good, that's my target.

I was a vegetarian for about a year and a half in my early twenties, but now it'd be super hard.

topfive likes this.
  18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

See, I don't view fake-meat as ever being total meat replacements. They never will be. I would bet money on that one. But, I love them, and here's why: if I can offset 2-3 meat meals a week by eating fake meat, and then 1-2 meals a week eating no meat, I can do a lot of good for myself and the environment. Does that mean I will ever give up a good steak or burger in place of lab meat? Hell no. I think most of the population won't. But, I can let meat become what it is in other countries: a delicacy that you eat once in a while instead of a staple of your diet.

Also, the vegan burger with veganeese from the Whole Foods restaurant is amazing. I loved it.

Williamson and topfive like this.
  19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Nothing wrong with going plant based - you can compete at a high level with that type of diet and it's been proven time and time again. I would argue it's even MORE impactful at CP's age because of inflammation concerns that go with eating meat as you age. I'm 42 and an athletic guy and have seen this first hand in both me and my wife's diets.

The perception of health problems and vegan/vegetarian diets is more a problem with people who drop meat(who don't have dietician in their life) and then try to eat the same and just substitute fake meats or go overboard on other vegetarian options they ate before(more potatoes, more cheese, etc) and as a result they don't have a balanced diet leading to more problems. If you are going to commit to that type of diet - you have to commit to eating other foods you never ate before and still keeping a healthy balance to your diet. It's not easy to make that type of commitment - especially for athletes who have likely lead a very regimented life eating the same things for years, but the potential benefits have been realized with guys like Andre Iguadala and Vince Carter being productive long past the usual expectations of gentlemen of their age.

If CP is truly willing to make that change, I applaud him. If it's just a way to make news about a financial investment he has, then never mind...

Also want to add that while some meat substitutes can be delicious, if you are thinking in terms of meat substitute then you are probably missing the point altogether of this style of diet - there are tons of delicious foods that can be made without a thought given to whether it tastes like meat.

ISOBall likes this.