1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Chance of War with Iran

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mtbrays, May 15, 2019.

1. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I think diplomacy works sometimes. And when Israel gets involved... it suddenly doesnt. lol but no it isn't my job to defend Trump. Also north korea is a hotter situation. They have nukes and you have to negotiate. Differently geopolitically too. Also I don't think the sole goal is nukes at all. The goal is to align them with us to get at china and get their rare earth. So nukes dont matter in that case because they would even be on a reunification path and in our sphere. That is the goal. Rip them away from China. Modernize. Reunify. Iran however has no nukes and wants them and our ally has way too much influence. Not sure if the deal would have worked but i certainly dont think it would have stopped iran. You can argue that it was a mistake but if the goal is to destabilize them into regime change then getting rid if the deal was a smart play. If trump cuts a deal with them I don't think it will work either. The us wants regime change and likely will offer talks to appear as the good guys. But are they sincere? i doubt it. Trump may also just want a deal similar to the other one with some trade kickers and to claim credit and say it was better than obama and kerry's.

I also have more faith in iranians than you. There are plenty of modern minds there being opressed. They were quite modern in fact. They can revert and grow democratically. Do some research on them and you will see a rift caused by opression. Go watch the movie persepolis if you want to see a great depiction of iran before and after... a bit sad actually but there is hope for them yet.

You are right to be upset that the deal got trashed if you really trust iran to not keep developing but hey it is done man. I don't dwell too much on that sort of thing. Blunder perhaps? bad advising? possibly. Who knows.

#301 dachuda86, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Iran has already shown that it is willing to let go of its nuclear ambitions for economic growth. That's why it signed the nuclear deal.

It's the US that doesn't want that compromise. Trump foolishly scrapped a deal that was working. Now he complains that Iran is not abiding by a deal Trump ended.

What an idiot

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

It may well have been a huge blunder if he doesn't work out a better one. Likely he won't.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The deal wasn't based on trust. It was built on IAEA inspections which the CIA claims that Iran abodes by.

Now go find me a motive for the CIA to lie about that.

Sweet Lou 4 2 and mdrowe00 like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They ended their program - it was verified. What better nuke deal could you ask for? Imagine if N Korea agree to the same deal. Trump would be hailed a hero. Obama does it with Iran and Trump rips it apart instead.

vlaurelio and RayRay10 like this.
  6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Did no one post Trump throwing Bolton under all the wheels of the bus? How beautiful <3
    "We've spent $7,000,000,000,000 in the Middle East."
    Preach, Baby!

HTM likes this.
  7. HTM

HTM Member

Good.

Now take us out of Afghanistan finally.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

It blows my mind that John Bolton, a man who admits that he dodged the draft gleefully, is such a huge proponent for going to war. Guy shouldn’t be anywhere near the decision-making process at all.

10. NewRoxFan

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Will be interesting if Iran can launch a successful wiper attack similar to what they did to Saudi Aramco.

https://threatpost.com/iran-targeting-u-s-with-destructive-wipers-warns-dhs/145950/

#311 The Real Shady, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

That Chuck Todd interview was unreal.

Pretty good commentary on the Saudi weapons deal part

13. NewRoxFan

14. NewRoxFan

15. adoo

adoo Member

iirc

• NK's Kim called Trump a dotard
    • Trump's first Sec of State called the dotard "a f**king moron"

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. adoo

adoo Member

who knew that foreign policy can be so complicated,
    so unlike producing a reality TV show

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Which side is more motivated to instigate an armed conflict? Shouldn’t that be part of the calculation when trying to figure out which side is more likely to be telling the truth here?

There’s also this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/21/us/politics/trump-iran-attack.html?module=inline

#318 durvasa, Jun 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  19. NewRoxFan

trumplomacy, over twitter

20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The one sure way to trigger Donnie into retaliating is to embarrass him and/or make him look foolish. You could sink a thousand oil tankers and it wouldn't have the same effect. Maybe if they hit him in the personal pocketbook and blew up a couple of the Trump towers around the world...

I'm not sure if the Iranians want a US military response and are being very clever, or if they don't and are being very foolish. Making the self-declared "greatest President ever except maybe Lincoln" look bad is playing with fire.