1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windhorst: “I’m hearing rumblings about Jimmy getting back to Houston”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 21, 2019.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

What types of real estate investments are you comparing? Historically residential prices in Manhattan have been less volatile, and the closest thing to stable in a recession (take a look at 2008-2009 price per sqft decline in NYC compared to other cities). If buying during a downturn, historically California has proven to provide substantial returns during a recovery period. Miami would have been an incredible market to invest in during the recession because it along with Las Vegas was hit hardest, and had the most room to recover, as it has. They were hit hardest because their economies at the time were not very diversified. Looking at what max contract NBA players are buying (McMansion in the $5-40MM range), I would not recommend owning in Texas, Memphis, Nashville as mentioned, on properties like this. These economies are not diversified enough, and do not have enough outside money (wealth created from outside of the city itself) to support prices long term on ultra luxury homes. Texas in particular is still deeply tied to commodity prices, but has begin to rely slightly less on it. There has been a trend moving away from McMansions and smaller homes have proven to appreciate significantly more. There are a ton of celebs losing their shirts on high priced McMansions. From an investment standpoint, I'd go big in NYC,beach front in SoCal, and buy a smaller place in Houston if need be for work. I have several years of experience dominating siblings in Monopoly, so if Jimmys reading this, hit me up.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. JD88

JD88 Member

We'd trade CP3 and a draft pick to make space for Butler. We'd probably trade Capela to make space for him, too.

Simply put... if he wants to play in Houston, Morey will make it happen.

3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately that's not how the cap works...

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

It works.
    Paul and 3Firsts to pacers for cap room. Capela to Celtics for cap room.

If butler were 25 years old.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

That's how the NBA works. We could dump our entire roster if it meant getting Jimmy B here.

The cap is irrelevant.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Why the hell would the Rockets throw away three first rounders and Capela and Paul and get jacks**t in return? No..

7. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Is that Whitney???

9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

10. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Eh I’d still go with mid-tier cities with higher rates of population growth. Appreciation of real estate is tied to population growth (job growth, cost of living, etc). High densely populated areas like NY and Cali are already saturated in population capacity. There’s a reason why people from California are migrating in droves to Texas. Invest in areas where the average middle class home owner can afford. General rule of thumb though, invest in the city you know.

To the point of Butler investing his money in real estate though....I doubt these guys buy their homes with investment in mind. It’s personal luxury first and then maybe a solid return if they have to sell. If it were investment first, they’d buy up commercial real estate and become a developer.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Whitney “Houston”

RudyTBag likes this.
  12. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Whitney Cummings to Whitney Houston?

13. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

NYC and coastal California property near the bigger cities are saturated in population capacity, but that is the reason I believe these properties are a better investment long term, there is limited availability and opportunity to expand. In cities like Houston, Dallas, etc. as the city grows, the suburbs expand and there is plenty of land available to increase inventory to balance demand.

14. icewill36

icewill36 Member

if we get butler it probably means capela and EGO are gone. that is NOT better than philly. not even close really. they have far more balance if they keep all those guys together. they took the champs to the last second of game 7, without ever really having time to gel.

they are easily better than us

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's a Malcom X shirt.

16. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Honestly, it's VERY unlikely Houston will sign Jimmy this summer but from a pure competition level there are zero teams that make more sense for Jimmy than Houston.

Jimmy fits the mold of Chris Paul - Ultra competitive, no nonsense type of player. Expects the most out of everyone.
    Jimmy fits the mold of PJ Tucker - Straight dog, go get it, no excuses.
    Jimmy fits the mold of James Harden - LOVES to play basketball at an extremely high level (although I think Jimmy doesnt shy away from the moment)
    MDA fits the type of coach Jimmy likes - Veteran coach who believes in his players, and can get players to believe in him.

A line up of CP3 - Harden - Jimmy - Tucker would be SOOOOO annoying to play against defensively and offensively.

I severely wish we could get him. It's just not happening, brehs. I would be perfectly fine with letting Capela and Gordon go for Jimmy. I'm also perfectly fine with keeping Gordon and Capela and finding a solid 3/4 starter, and that is a dozen times more likely to happen than getting Jimmy.

Jontro and Grizzlyshark like this.
  17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Unfortunately, that same thing can be said about nearly every single key free agent in the past couple of years... it never amounted to much.

Sajan likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

RIP.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Such as Dwight Howard and Chris Paul?

Hell, how about convincing PJ Tucker to come over here? That was huge too.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Is that... is that Jimmy Buckets???