1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

The Rockets CAN win with their style of play but…

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kornel87, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

The Rockets CAN win with their style of play but…

Remember when (a long time ago) the basketball savants shouted that no jump shooting team can win a championship. The Warriors have proven that this is, in fact, not true. They also always spoke about how defense wins a championship. This is true, but they never mention no defensive team ever won a championship with both top defensive players and a solid scheme. I say all that to say that the Rockets isolation/spread offense combined with the switch-everything is the perfect system in this present NBA. The problem is that they do not have the perfect players, currently, for this system. The two main problems I see with the Rockets are:

1. The Rockets do not have quality isolation (system) players.

2. They (Front office) need to surround D’Antoni (or replace him) with more rounded personnel that reinforces the ISO system.

(1) I included a video breakdown by “Thinking Basketball” that nicely juxtaposes the Warriors style of play versus the Rockets. One thing that immediately jumps out to me in the video was at the 1:41 mark (EG is, unfortunately, a terrible player for this system and vividly shows it there). Basically, that was the impetus for this rambling. I think that encapsulates the thought that the Rockets are playing a perfect system with imperfect parts. What are the Warriors without Steph but rather Monta Ellis? (A fine player I might add).

For the PG position, they actually need more of a Beverly type (with better handles) than CP3. Since James Harden is fully capable of running the offense, the Rockets absolutely do NOT NEED another ball-dominant player like CP3. They need either a spot-up PG or a PG that can create by consistently making the best ‘hockey’ passes. (i.e Rozier). For the bench SG, I think Austin Rivers is a better version, for this system than EG. Basically, the role of Rivers, who can make open 3PT shots (34.7% this year) but also can consistently create shot for himself and others is much suited for the Rockets' play. EG is a SG that is very limited dribbling-wise but extremely lethal shooting-wise (37.4 % this season).

PJ Tucker is the perfect (SF) player for this system. More specifically I would have preferred a Royce White (remember him) without the mental issues. I mean that’s the 1st round Draymond Green. A player that completely fits this offense. I digress. For the PF position, I do think Faried (high energy and lob threat) is the archetype for this system. For the center, not exactly sure if Hartenstein is fully developed but he’s more of the mold that fits ISO than Capella. He shoots a reasonable (33%) 3 PT and FT and rebounds well.

(2) I would not delve too deeply into the reason as to my thinking of this but I would put my disclaimer on this issue by saying that just because a slight trend has been successful does not always mean that it works. Now, the talk about having an ISO-based coach like D’Antoni is that he’s shown to be able to cater to his best player’s strengths throughout his coaching career. The problem is that D’Antoni is incessantly shown that inability to adjust as a coach. I believe that following the trend of both Utah & Toronto by hiring a proven-to-be successful G-League coach (Synder, Nurse) has also succeeded in the NBA. That coach for Rockets is Joseph Blair. I hope that the Rockets do not miss out on Blair as they did with Chris Finch, but I digress.

[​IMG]

hakeem94, ApacheWarrior and kjayp like this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Sorry, but you lost me when you called Monta Ellis a "fine player" and Royce White "a player that completely fits this offense" AND Faried "the archetype for this system."

Defense might not by the most important thing in winning a chip, but it is still VERY important. None of the three guys above can play defense at all. Like non.

Also, EG is "very limited dribbling-wise"? He might not have the handles that great PGs have, but he's above average for a SG.

3. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

The same way that EG is "above average in dribbling" is comparable to Monta Ellis's "fine". Basically, in comparison to others, there's a slight edge but that doesn't mean that they are elite. For Faried, I just think that the narrative about him which was a player that did not fit the new NBA is now being turned to a player that does not play defense. That simply is not true.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I found Royce White's CF account

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Notice the video pic.

2 All stars (wasnt even 2 in this year's series with the way CP played) vs 4 all stars.

That's the biggest difference.

Deuce, vlaurelio, stevel and 8 others like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

PJ playing his rightful position at SF - with an actual PF and a Center.... sounds like less small ball and more size for rebounding, boxing out and rim protection... yer playing my song - thats muh jam! lol

I think more adjustments need to be made - like actual adjustments... but thats a good start!

I value EGo more...

hakeem94 and Bengchu like this.
  7. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

True, but the 2013-14 Atlanta Hawks too had 4 All-stars but didn't make it to the finals. They had some players that fit that systems, not all, which is why the got beat.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

The Rockets CAN win with their style of play in the Regular Season but…

FIFY

Highlyrated and kjayp like this.
  9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Of course our style can win a championship...
    Like most of have been saying for a couple years now- we just lack the personnel....

10. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

LMAO...good one but

11. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Morey has been tinkering with this system since he got here. Just some slight changes and pundits will start to eat their words.

hakeem94 and juanm34 like this.
  12. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

Gtfoh

BeardNation13 likes this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

The warriors take the 2nd most midrange jumpers in the league. I don’t think taking a lot of those is the answer, but I think we need to be more versatile

Highlyrated, kjayp and Kornel87 like this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Excellent @Kornel87

Reinforces what I’ve been saying.

1) Coaches: D’Antoni system works, he just moved towards a guard focused lineup. Trying to dribble against GSW’s
    tends to get the ball stripped. With a center that can shoot 3’s, it opens up passing lanes and allows the play book to
    expand with cutters to rim. IMO, the only way a team could beat the Warriors is with 5-Out (Draymond has to guard a
    perimeter player........M Gasol, Shiakam or Ibaka w/Raptors and Brook Lopez & Ilyasova w/Bucks).

I can take D’Antoni or leave him. Can still manage a game and players like his non grueling practices, but he
    needs to play 9 players in the playoffs or guys run a greater risk of injury......Warriors found this out as well.
    Raptors won the championship because the Rockets wore down the Warriors physically.

2) personnel: Need upgrade in size on the Wing, that aren’t afraid of jacking up 8 three pt attempts per game. 3-D guys. I agree that Beverley compliments Harden. Receives the kick out and shoot or dribbles
    a couple of times while looking to pass. Keep the ball moving that way.

3) System works. All teams start off with PnR, Weave, Iso, Horns, Hand off, Post (high or low), 5-Out, etc
    Great facilitator (Harden/CP3/ ??Butler??) with consistent knock down perimeter shooters can win it all....
    just add a little more height to those perimeter shooters imo. The height of the kick out pass can be elevated
    and decrease the chances of getting picked off.

hakeem94 and Kornel87 like this.
  15. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

Couldn't have said it any better

16. Kornel87

Kornel87 Member

AbetterAlAbetterA
    You're welcome lol

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Warriors vs the West in the playoffs (15-0) over the last 5 years. What's the rest of the West's excuse?

vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

More All Stars....lol

Raptors All Star(s)
    Kawhi Leonard
    K Lowry
    M Gasol

Warriors All Star(s)
    Curry
    KD................................... (injured most of finals)
    Draymond
    Klay.................................. (injured during finals)
    Iggy (in 11/12)..................(missed game 4 of Portland series due to injury)
    Cousins ............................(injured leading up to and during finals)

Rockets All Star(s)
    Harden
    CP3

Need more All Stars

#18 ApacheWarrior, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    don grahamleone and juanm34 like this.
  19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I think that you may be overestimating how much the Rockets actually run Iso. They only run it about 20% of the time and almost all of those possessions are either Harden or CP3 who are both very good in iso.

In this year's playoffs, the Rockets ran iso an average of 22.4 times per game. Of those, 15 of them were Harden and 5 were CP3. Gordon only ran iso once per game in this years playoffs. He wasn't too good on those limited possesions but one possession isn't going to be a deciding factor on our success. Rivers also iso'd once per game and everyone else on the roster was less than 1 per game.

In the regular season, we ran iso an identical 22.4 times per game. Harden had 16.4 per game and CP3 had 4.7. Again, just over 22 possessionn/game and 20 of those were Harden or Paul.

All in all, we averaged 0.97 PPP in iSO in this years playoffs. That's a good number (though slightly down from our 1.06 ppp in the regular season), especially when you realize that we run almost double the amount of ISO than any other team in the league.

In the playoffs we had 22.4 ISO possessions/game. The next highest was Brooklyn with 12.0/game. Harden alone ran 15 ISOs per game.

All in all, we ran iso on 20.6% of our postseason possessions. The next highest rate was Boston at 10.7% of their possessions.

Those 22 possessions weren't a problem. If you want to look at ways to improve the offense, then our 75 non-iso possessions/game would be the place to look.

Also, D'Antoni isn't an ISO based coach. In fact, he doesn't like iSO but he's smart enough to play to the talents of his best players.

Faried was fine on offense against most teams. His issue is that he's a very bad defender and against the Warriors, they take away the lob to the roll man which eliminates most of his offensive effectiveness.

I don't think you'll see Tucker as a primary SF. He can cover quick guys for short periods of time but the Rockets won't ask him to do that for long stretches.

I too had high hopes for Royce White. He had passing skills but bottom line was that he couldn't shoot. If he were still here, he'd be just like Ben Simmons where teams completely back off of him and dare him to shoot. That's not evern considering what he would do in our switch everything defense.

I also believe that the Rockets do need a 2nd ball handler. Before CP3, teams could simply run a double at Harden and it took us out of our offense completely. With CP3 on the floor it's a different story. Not to mention having him to run the 2nd team when Harden is on the bench.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Preach