1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[The New Yorker] America’s Future Is Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 7, 2017.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Texas is definitely still Republican, overall. But there is a reason we created a more local districting scheme for Reps and for state officials, so that we would not have a simple tyranny of the majority. Gerrymandering defeats this Constitutional safeguard.

B-Bob likes this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

more like "jo mama pointing out what a hypocrite big texxx is".

you are so blinded by partisanship and toolism that you cant even see it...sad.

Camarograna2 likes this.
  3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Legit question for you. How can a grown man label other humans as "liberals" or "conservatives". Are you that much of a puppet? And no I'm not talking about the voting booth; I seriously think that you view "liberals" as a different species or something. Very bizarre behavior

I firmly believe that religion and the two-party system are mankind's worst inventions to date. We grovel in divisiveness instead of embracing our mutuality

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

its much easier to do what bigtexx does than to actually think for yourself. its like chris rock says...

"no normal, decent person is one thing"

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think the future of America is North Carolina. More voter suppression, gerrymandering on steroids, further swing to the right on social causes, and largely against the majority's wishes. North Carolina is a cleaner, simpler test case than Texas.

Rashmon likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

It's brazenly political, and goes against a long conservative history of championing local control. Abbott, Patrick and Paxton should all be ashamed.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it was a really interesting story. When it comes to gerrymandering, Austin is as egregious as it gets. I live in west Austin and am represented Roger Williams, who hails from a town about 200 miles away. How is my representative "local" at all? I know many of you will hate on this because it's Austin, but we're all Texans and our communities should be able to elect actual representatives. If liberals in Texas are so marginalized, there should be nothing to fear about a majority-Austin district electing a Democrat. After all, it sounds like we'd be spitting into the ocean.

What's more interesting to me is the GOP divisions embodied by Straus and Patrick. There are certain conservative posters on this board who always struck me as being in the mold of Straus: in favor of limited government that creates an environment for business success. However, these people have become silent ever since the rise of the Tea Party and all-or-nothing conservatives that hijack legislative proceedings for their own narrow-minded purposes. The capitulation to this group has always struck me as something that will come back to bite rational conservatives sometime in the future.

#27 mtbrays, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Deckard likes this.
  8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What you failed to mention in your excellent post, jo mama, is that Texas had a long tradition of not dividing large cities into numerous gerrymandered districts. Large cities like Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, and Austin would typically have a central district. Sure, there might be others, depending on the city's size, but that central district was considered a given. Tom DeLay, pushing redistricting outside of the Census cycle in 2003, destroyed that. We have been experiencing the consequences ever since.

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Interesting cornyn would tweet this this AM. Is he supportive of the demographics shift? Fearful? Is he throwing shade on trump for the escalation in border-related actions (including Sunday's ICE raids)?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^Hat tip to white genocide?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would Cornyn be worried about that?

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know what point you're making but as far as voting i would agree the Hispanic vote is available to both sides

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Are you worried?

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No. Why would I be?

15. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Asking a question, in this case, isn't trying to make a point. I was trying to figure out what point Cornyn was trying to make. That's why I asked.

pgabriel likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I dont think anyone knows.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It just seems like a strange thing to tweet. I mean America is great because of the way different cultures have added together. More influx of new culture to help continue to broaden and improve culture seems like a great thing.

18. conquistador#11

Asians aren't getting enough love. But they've had the biggest increase % wise in Tx since the early 2000s.
    Must be the big yao and clutchfans influence.

pgabriel likes this.
  19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Com on bro thats not their politics. You know that.

That being said the tweet is weird doesn't say anything good or bad about Hispanic immigration

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]