1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rank the best young core

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by BigBum, Jun 22, 2019.

?

Which team has the best young core?

1. Pelicans

20 vote(s)
    39.2%
  2. Celtics

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  3. Hawks

7 vote(s)
    13.7%
  4. Mavs

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  5. Nuggets

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Whoever has signed max salary is excluded.
    Zion Ingram ball
    Tatum brown Rozier
    Young hunter reddish
    Doncic porzingis brunson
    Murray Beasley Porter jr

How many of them are going to be all stars?

BaselineFade likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Competitiveness
    Nuggets

I like Nola, Hawks

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Nuggets by far.
    Jokic is an all NBA type.
    Murray is an all star type.
    Gary Harris and Malik Beasley are talented two guards &
    Porter Jr and Jarred Vanderbilt are young, big athletic and versatile at the forward spots.

They have youth and talent at every spot.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

correct answer is NOT the Nuggets lol. That is IF you are answering the OP's question, which excludes Jokic, since he's on his second contract.

IMO its the Mavs, with Luka and Porzingus, but the Hawks, Pelicans & Celtics could be just as good if not better.

BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  5. sw847

sw847 Member

I actually quiet like the kings young core

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I like to see it as a 'Who you prefer?' type of question though.

7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Tough choice. I chose the Mavericks because they have 2 potential generational talents in Doncic and Porzingis. The skill level plus the length of these 2 players is off the charts. Matchup nightmares. Brunson is very impressive as well. I think Dallas is 2 or 3 years away from competing for championships if Cuban is smart.

I would have added Collins and Huerter to the Hawks list. We already know that they can play nba level basketball. If they hit on Hunter or Reddish the Hawks will be positioned very well moving into the next decade.

A poster above mentioned the Kings. Fox, Bagley, and Giles are all very impressive young talents.

The future of the NBA is in good hands.

8. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It hurts, but it's the Mavs...

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

How do you left out Collins on the Hawks, he's their best player lol

dockerland likes this.
  11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Denver......Kings.. Then NO... ATL still a long way away... Mavs ain't ****.... Celts confused about what direction they wanna go...

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I’d include the Knicks in the discussion.

Mitch Robinson
    RJ
    DSJ
    Knox

13. xaos

xaos Member

Best young players? Dončić and Tatum. Best young core? Atlanta. I think with Atlanta, they have an idea of the style they want to play and will do what it takes to get those players (kind of like Bucks did). All teams mentioned have the potential to have bright futures though.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. lionaire

lionaire Member

1)Pelicans imo will the best eventually
    2)Nuggets are the best right now and having MPJ and Bol² on the roster further elevated their ceiling
    3)Celtics have two young wings with star potential
    4)Hawks, my favorite of the bunch. Absolutely killed their drafts the past three years.
    5)Mavs. I don't rate Luka and KP as highly as others do. Both are poor defenders, egomaniacs and KP had a significant knee injury at 23. They really thought teaming a bipolar guy and a passive-aggresive fck would be a good idea.

javal_lon likes this.
  15. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Deyonte Davis
    Moses Brown
    Isiah Frankenstin

Williamson likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

If we're going to count Porzingis, I think Jokic should be qualified as well. Contract or not.

I pick Denver. They've been to the semis, they were the second best team in the WC, record-wise. I think they could have taken 2 games from Golden State. What separates Denver from my second choice (Hawks purely because of potential) is that Denver will be continuously tested by the WC gauntlet, whereas it's pretty easy in the EC.

And now they have Bol Bol; if he can stay healthy, Jokic can easily slide to the PF position while Bol plays spot minutes at the 5.

Williamson likes this.
  17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I added names in bold that seemed notable. In New Orleans Hayes was just taken with the 8th pick. I can only assume Griffin views him as part of his core moving forward. In Atlanta, Huerter and Collins are looking legit.

You also left Memphis and the Kings out which surprises me. I think JJJ was clearly one of the top 5 rookies last year. Maybe even top 3. And Ja Morant definitely has great potential. Brandon Clarke seemed to be regarded as a steal where he was chosen too. I'm excited to watch them next year.

Doncis and Porzingis are intriguing. I think those guys have incredibly high ceilings. But I don't think much of Brunson and they don't have much else around them. I also think Porzingis is a HUGE health risk.

If I was ranking purely based on the ceilings of the players involved I'd have to go with the Pelicans. Zion has the potential to be an all time great and both Ingram and Ball still have the potential to be all-stars (though I'm feeling like it's unlikely they achieve their potential at this point). My concern with their team is that it's pretty clear that they should build around Zion similarly to how Milwaukee built around Giannis or how Cleveland used to build around Lebron. Surround him with shooters. Instead, they have surrounded him with Ball, Ingram and Hayes and none of those guys are great shooters and Ball and Hayes are flat out bad shooters.

If I was ranking them based on the potential fit of all the pieces I think I'm leaning towards Atlanta. Atlanta seems to have a really clear idea of what they are building and who they are building around. They're building around Trae Young and all the pieces around him make sense. I like their direction. If Trae Young really is the next Steph and the guys they've surrounded him with continue to develop they're going to be a very good team.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Don't forget Shamorie Ponds and Chris Chiozza.

19. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

And young Luxury Tax-Savings

20. MD_in_Training

Meanwhile, we are talking about maxed out 40 year old Chris Paul wanting to be traded...