1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windhorst: “I’m hearing rumblings about Jimmy getting back to Houston”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jun 21, 2019.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Wasn't there a story floating around a month ago that he bought property in Philly?

2. RocketsFanBrian

These guys have property everywhere.

3. rockets13champs

If I was rich I wouldn’t buy property in Philly. If I got traded to philly on a contract year I’d only rent until I knew I wanted to live there for longer.

Only places I’d buy a place regardless is LA, Miami, NYC. Other than that you only buy a house if you wanna live there long term

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d buy and sell property everywhere just as an investment...

hakeem94, Dacamel, Lurch and 3 others like this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Eh. If he wants to be here he can be here unless the sixers simply refuse at their own expense

hakeem94, HP3, sammy and 1 other person like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nah, hope has an ugly, ugly vig attached. But it's probably worth it, versus the alternative.

EDIT: my apologies if you literally meant that "hope" = "free guys." I assumed you meant to have a comma in there.

harold bingo, Game7 and Kim like this.
  7. Pringles

Pringles Member

I was about to say... I think New York, LA, and Miami probably have smaller returns in terms of real estate investments.

You get better returns on real estate in Texas, smaller cities (Memphis, Nashville), and the Mid-west generally.

RudyTBag and bilaal14 like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Exactly. That is what the smart players do with their money. If you buy premium property and get good deals you are a lot safer than putting the money elsewhere and have tax benefits and revenue if renting eventually. Professional athletes have a circle of access and they travel and relocate both professionally and personally for long periods of time. Every athlete with excess money should train from day one and get into real estate slowly especially from a renting standpoint. I would look at my entire NBA career as securing the capital to start that business. Everything else you lose your ass. I personally despise Philly and there are a lot of places there I would like to own property for this very reason. A guy getting a 3 or 4 yr contract with a team moves to a new city all of the time and probably doesn’t want to buy because he just moved 3 times in the past couple of years. When you build your business around what you know personally you start mitigating a lot of the risks. Is an athlete going to always trust an agent or someone he knows personally. Trust is an underrated currency athletes can use. I would expand my real estate business to include concierge services as well for a turn key solution to other athletes. Security and privacy are highly important.

hakeem94, Dacamel and RudyTBag like this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I’m just saying people seem to think if Jimmy says “trade me to Houston” it has to happen but that isn’t true. Jimmy would be the one risking more if he tries to hold out for this. People seem to think the league has to cooperate with us. Maybe Philly prefers to re-sign Tobias and JJ but stay out of luxury tax instead of EG. Maybe Philly wants to offer Middleton a max. No way Jimmy takes a chance on losing money to see if Philly plays along.

Not too long ago people insisted that Melo had to be a Rocket because he wouldn’t give up his no trade clause for anyone else. Yes, it was different, but players barely dictate the moves. We didn’t get Melo the initial year. AD didn’t get L.A. last year, yes he got what he wanted but only because it was also a ridiculous offer.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The thing is with an opt in and trade Philly literally wouldn’t have to take back any salary at all. If we were to do a 3 team trade they’d get picks for free basically.

I agree with you that it is extremely unlikely to happen, but it’s not because Philly would refuse if butler wanted to leave. The real issue is that he isn’t going to pass up on his 5 year max that they are going to offer

As for your comparisons, they are flawed because butler does actually have he leverage because if he really just wants to leave Philly he can. He’s a free agent. Those other examples were under contract

12. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

His shirt literally says “Max”

Butler to Philly confirmed.

13. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

It's easier for Jimmy Butler to tell Elton Brand that he wants to go Home Vs. Sorry I want to go to the Lakers.. It's been his Dream to play with the Hometown team can you take something back with a Sign & Trade...

D-rock likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Especially If they are looking for a backup C to get Joel rest as has been reported.

15. Theking

Theking Member

Thanks for the tip there Warren Buffet

Sledge187, RudyTBag and hakeem94 like this.
  16. rockets13champs

Screw you dude

17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

You really believe our roster is better than philly?

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Our roster is better than Philly without Jimmy
    Butler. With Jimmy they probably have a better team. But with jimmy on rockets we are much better.

Simmons can’t shoot.
    I love Embid, but he is always injured.

hakeem94 and lionaire like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Brogdon or Middleton would be awesome on Rockets. But Brogdon may soon be a Bull.

Too bad Morey so locked into the fading stars instead of rising stars.

He had better luck with rising stars: Lowry, Dragic, Harden, etc.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

His agent is with him in Brazil right now. So maybe he can tell him the benefits of the 1+5 opt in and trade and how it leads to almost even money in the long term and a better chance of winning a championship.

Stormy1234 and lionaire like this.