1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey says the Rockets had an agreed-to trade for a pick in the 20's

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Denovo

Denovo Member

I prefer hearing about our failed deals.

It would be more frustrating to sit around having to wonder why we didn’t make any moves.

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Capela would make so much sense to Boston. He's only a few years older than Tatum and Brown and obviously they'll be building around those guys now.

I just can't see how it would make sense for us. Do we really want Horford badly enough to hope he opts in and we can pick him up for 30 million? Irving is gone. And I can't imagine Tatum or Brown are on the table.

They have some other solid rotation pieces over there but I'm just failing to see a deal with them that includes Capela but makes us better.

everyday eddie and D-rock like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Good grief. I’m so glad Morey has the extension and not one of these ****tards that continue to b**** about him.

4. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

When there wasnt a player to add after the deadline the team didnt get worse, they decided to get under the tax line brilliantly to extend a window one additional season without hurting the current team. There wasnt anything to add. Please tell me the player tillman refused to add to get better to save money?

Relativist and Sep11ie like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and yet every single magically completed trade in the tilman era has been a salary dump:

August 2, 2018
    Traded Chinanu Onuaku, cash and a 2020 2nd round draft pick to the Dallas Mavericks for Maarty Leunen. $1,544,951 (2020 2nd-rd pick is ability to swap GSW's pick for HOU's pick.)

August 31, 2018
    Traded Ryan Anderson and De'Anthony Melton to the Phoenix Suns for Marquese Chriss and Brandon Knight.

January 7, 2019
    Traded Michael Carter-Williams and cash to the Chicago Bulls for a 2020 2nd round draft pick. (Pick is top-55 protected.)

January 22, 2019
    Traded Carmelo Anthony, Jon Diebler and cash to the Chicago Bulls for Tadija Dragicevic. $1.56MM

February 7, 2019
    As part of a 3-team trade, the Houston Rockets traded a 2020 2nd round draft pick to the Sacramento Kings; the Houston Rockets traded Marquese Chriss, Brandon Knight, a 2019 1st round draft pick and a 2022 2nd round draft pick to the Cleveland Cavaliers; the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Wade Baldwin, Nik Stauskas and a 2021 2nd round draft pick to the Houston Rockets; the Cleveland Cavaliers traded Alec Burks to the Sacramento Kings; and the Sacramento Kings traded Iman Shumpert to the Houston Rockets. (Pick is less favorable of HOU or GSW 2020 2nd-round picks.) (Pick is MIL's 2021 second-round pick.) (Pick is top-14 protected.)
    Traded James Ennis to the Philadelphia 76ers for a 2021 2nd round draft pick. (HOU gains right to swap 2021 second-round picks with PHI.)
    Traded Wade Baldwin, Maarty Leunen, Nik Stauskas and a 2021 2nd round draft pick to the Indiana Pacers for cash.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Horford already opted out so, i think he can't be involved in a deal.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is just my idea, but i think this could've been either a way to boost our depth (Capela for Smart and pick, then you sign DeAndre to replace Clint), or it was a deal like Capela for picks in order to dump salary and take some cheap value back. But i don't see how it has anything to do with the tax saving things this time.

mikol13 and pippendagimp like this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ya regarding this alleged deal (whatever the parameters), ainge is probably impossible to deal with in general. but i was only pointing out that when tilman's crew needs to dump salary, they have been shockingly innovative and effective at it, with flawless execution. not so much thus far at trading to actually improve the roster. like non

everyday eddie, bmelo and Der Rabbi like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Oh ok, now i get what you were trying to say...well, that doesn't surprise me, i mean, when you're looking to dump bad contracts/salary you are literally forced to lose a trade so, yeah, you'll always find a team willing to deal lol, it's when you're looking to win a trade (especially when you've no assets) that it's not going to be easy.

Relativist likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

in the current case, especially if it's with BOS, i agree w/ you. but over the past year i find it very hard to believe the front office could not make EVEN ONE successful trade to date during the tilman era in order to improve the roster. which is why today's 'unveiling' by morey just continues to ring hollow

11. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Capela and CP3 to Boston for Smart and Horford SnT?

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Question]
    Did the Rockets get "Texan'd" on draft night? Please don't tell me the Texans' draft day ineptitude is contagious!

everyday eddie and J.R. like this.
  13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Sounds like a married guy claiming he coulda totally picked up that chick if he was single

14. vick

vick Member

In the Nba money talks, and Bull sh#t walks.

bmelo likes this.
  15. Newlin

Newlin Member

Morey said a couple days ago that the starting five would be returning. So, I don't think we can believe anything Morey says?

vick likes this.
  16. amaru

amaru Member

who says that he is?

Nook likes this.
  17. pass_to_Hakeem

“I want to win at all costs”

18. jsingles

jsingles Member

Well, if you can't be a championship winning GM

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

he'll get there

jsingles likes this.
  20. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

I think they were targeting Matisse Thybule. 3 and D wing. Long and great defense

TheRealAllpro likes this.