1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rick Pitino hopes to coach in NBA again

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Oct 29, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rick Pitino hoping to become NBA coaching candidate

After his firing following an FBI probe at Louisville, Rick Pitino is planning to use the season to immerse himself in the NBA game and hopes to become a candidate for head-coaching openings in the spring.

"I just want to be a part of an organization," Pitino told ESPN. "I want to develop young players. I want to be part of a team. I miss it terribly. I'm using this time to really study the NBA. If something opens up with a young basketball team, I'd have deep interest in it.

"I think the league is going to get younger and player development will become even more important to every organization. That's my forte. I believe I can help an organization find a pathway to success."

For Pitino, this is a change of course from an early September public declaration to ESPN's Mike Greenberg on Get Up that he was "finished coaching."

Pitino has hired Drew Rosenhaus, a high-profile NFL agent, to represent him. Rosenhaus' company does represent two NBA players: Portland's first-round pick Anfernee Simons and Clippers center Montrezl Harrell.

In all likelihood, Pitino has a bigger obstacle to returning to the NBA than NCAA failings: convincing league executives and owners that his ego would allow him to be a willing partner with a front office. Many GMs say that they'd be hesitant to hire Pitino based on the belief that he'd be difficult to coexist with, especially in the turbulence of a rebuild.

Nevertheless, few question his greatness as a coach, his ability to maximize the talent of young players and organize them into a competitive group on the floor. Among others, Pitino's task will be to convince decision-makers of his sincerity in scaling back his persona and reshaping himself as humbled, determined basketball coach.

Organizational structures have changed dramatically since Pitino served as president and coach of the Boston Celtics, and several GMs asked about Pitino believe that an owner would be more apt to take a chance on Pitino than a top basketball executive.

Pitino posted a 102-146 record with the Celtics before resigning early in his fourth season in 2000-01. Pitino was reported to have been overwhelmed with his dual roles under what had been pro sports' biggest coaching/executive deal to date: a 10-year, $70 million contract. He resigned with nearly $30 million left on the deal.

"I'm not looking for any of that [power/control] at this stage of my life," Pitino told ESPN. "I want to develop teams and develop players and build a winner. I value analytics. I want to fit into an organization. At this stage, that's all I'm interested in."

Pitino had a shorter, but more successful, run as coach of the New York Knicks in the late 1980s, winning an Atlantic Division title and reaching the playoffs twice (1988 and 1989) before leaving for Kentucky. The Knicks won 52 regular-season games and reached the conference semifinals in Pitino's final season at the helm.​

2. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

For Pitino, NBA free agency recruiting would turn into gangbangs.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Translation..... "I want to be important again and praised, I don't want to be remembered as a scum bag."

No one is giving him a head coach job........ he has to pay his dues. Be an assistant somewhere in the NBA and try to move up.

Jontro likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not a good NBA coach. But if he wants to come coach TAMU, Gig Em.

BigShasta and Jontro like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

#5 J.R., Dec 20, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    Vivi likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Wow, Pitino to the Pana, curious to see how long this will last... what do you think @malakas ?

7. malakas

malakas Member

Ahahahahaha i laughed so much. The owner is a crazy hooligan drugaddicted scumbag this gonna be good to watch.

Vivi and J.R. like this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Total slimeball this guy.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

HAHAH AWESOME

11. malakas

malakas Member

So embarassing this owner. Thats the reason I dont support my team anymore. Hes a scumbag the lowest of the low.
    He has also done other things like threatening to kill refs and cut the slary of players.

12. omgTHEpotential

Yeah that guy is insane... I think Xavi Pascual was a scapegoat.

malakas likes this.
  13. malakas

malakas Member

Absolutely.
    The sad thing is that the assistant coach ended up in the hospital with panic attack after this guy barged in the lockeroom insulting everyone before the firing.
    As lebron said about the nfl, hes a rich man treating everyone like a slave or a dog.

Thats why now with Pitino it will be like a comedy what happens. If Pitino thought that this way he can come back to the nba he is extremely delusional.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Could you imagine getting **** thrown at you and being pelted by a bb gun while coaching from the sidelines?

I'm so hoping all this and more happen to Pitino LOL

D-rock likes this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

This just in: Ron Mercer wants to play in the NBA again - in starting, bench, 12th man, or practice player only role.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol man that 1997 draft was the beginning of the end for a lot of people in Boston, including Rick.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think all the female assistants and interns just felt a deep disturbance in the Force......

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Ron Mercer, lulz.