1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] expectation is that Butler will opt out and Rockets plan to target him in Free Agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 21, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Reggie Bullock, Lakers forward
    DeMarre Carroll, Nets, forward
    Wesley Matthews, Pacers, guard
    Wayne Ellington, Pistons, guard
    Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Lakers, guard
    Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Nets, forward
    Tomas Satoransky, Wizards, guard
    Kelly Oubre, Suns, forward
    Darius Miller, Pelicans, forward
    Rodney Hood, Trail Blazers, forward
    JaMychal Green, Clippers, forward
    Trevor Ariza, Wizards, forward

BigMaloe, treyk3, tc0330 and 3 others like this.
  2. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Bringing the same roster back is not going to cut it anymore, especially the way Capella played in the playoffs. Rockets will need to sacrifice some of our key roleplayers to get a legitimate star, someone who can make their own plays and make plays for others. In this FA, that is Butler.

If we're not willing to make significant sacrifices, we still need length who can stretch the floor and strong defensive players. IMO, we will still need to make some sacrifices to even accomplish this.

Regardless of the roster we have at the beginning of the season, I honestly believe our offensive system will need to change to compete in the playoffs. We need more ball movement, bring back the 7-second rule, and less ISO heavy-offense.

RichieBanks, amaru and cheke64 like this.
  3. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Gordon > Butler. He's an underrated defender and makes this offense work.

hakeem94 and jimmyv281 like this.
  4. BigBum

BigBum Member

Need to get younger too.

5. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Rockets have put themselves in such a tough position for the next 5 years.

6. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't go that far but I do think Gordon is super underrated on both ends of the court. I think Capela is very replaceable but don't feel the same about Gordon.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

(Whether serious or jesting) there is a lotta truth in this. However, and to me this is a huge however, do players (in this case Jimmy Buckets) trust this franchisee to honor a wink-wink in 12 months? Also, does opting-in + wink-wink = JB holding Rox hostage?

8. mightybosstone

I'm sorry, but this is totally nuts. Butler is literally superior at pretty much every aspect of the game of basketball with the exception of 3-point shooting. You're talking about a perennial 16/2/2 guy who plays above average defense versus a perennial 22/5/5 guy who's considered one of the better perimeter defenders in the league. I love Gordon, but Butler is so, so, so much better than him. It's not close.

JoeBarelyCares, xaos and hakeem94 like this.
  9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I agree on both counts; Gordon's underrated value includes his total adaption to the JEHj-Show, and success therein.

harold bingo likes this.
  10. mightybosstone

If Butler doesn't happen (and I don't expect it will), I'm all in on JaMychal Green. He and Tucker would be an ideal forward pairing for this team. The question is whether or not he would sign for the taxpayer MLE—he can almost certainly get more on the open market...

11. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

No way we're getting him then. No one is taking CP3-6weeks contract off our hands for nothing. Then dumping CP3/Capela for nothing and adding Butler doesn't really make us better.

amaru likes this.
  12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Jefferson, Green, Oubre or even old man Trever would help us.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For all we know this could be a THREAT to the 76ers. With the end goal of an opt-in and trade for assets.

I am not against the other route. We don't know all of the chess moves that might follow.

JoeBarelyCares and ApacheWarrior like this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lol we're going to clear $35M in capspace to sign jimmy

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

LMAO...Gordon is a better 3 point shooter, and that’s it

they’re not even close as players...Butler is a top 15 player without question, EG isn’t even top 30

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Keep in mind with EG and Butler....it is not just about next year, it is for the next 4 years. How they project forward.

BigMaloe, Nook, luckyman76 and 3 others like this.
  17. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Houston is a real cluster right now. At the trade deadline last year there were many rumors about a lot of the guys on this list being traded or signing with the Rockets and every single one of them chose to sign with someone else.

It is no surprise they signed elsewhere because NOBODY wants to play in the ALL HARDEN offense.

18. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

We don't need Harden. We gots Ponds! I hear he has a 'step back' in his arsenal too!

zksb09 and hakeem94 like this.
  19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't think that's it, it's an S&T, not outright signing. The Rockets would have to essentially trade everyone outside Harden and CP3 to teams with cap space to add Jimmy via cap.

I think it's 50/50 Philly says no to this and blocks the whole shebang. I get that if your Philly, you want assets in return and something is better than nothing. Totally understand. I just don't see them helping a potential Finals competitor in Houston here, even if it helps stop the bleeding from losing Jimmy. I could see Philly being petty here.

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Remember how pissed we were at that Ryno contract, and how badly it hindered us in free agency?? Yeah, this CP3 contract makes that look like a team-friendly MLE deal. I was holding out hope that Morey would be able to make magic happen again, but that's not looking likely. We're probably coming away lucky if we can land one of the MLE guys on Feigen's list.

amaru likes this.