1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whataburger sold to a Chicago investment firm

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Buck Turgidson

Agreed. We stopped at the Sonic in Uvalde every trip to the deer lease back in the day (didn't want to leave trucks full of gear and guns unattended but wanted to eat and stretch our legs). I swear it's still the best fast food burger I've ever had, no idea what they were really doing differently but it was noticeable.

A lot of it has to do with the owner/manager I'm sure, I know Dairy Queens are like that. The one in Johnson City was just godawful the last time I went there years ago, the one in Lampassas was fantastic last year.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You will like it. A bit better tasting than Shiner Bock (a little lighter, a little sweeter than Shiner).

desihooper and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Whataburgers can be hit or miss from location to location. You can definitely get better burgers at dine in places.

But even subpar Whataburgers taste better than any other fast food burgers, and I don't think it's close.

I was so excited to see what the in and out hype was. There's one by Typhoon Texas, and boy was it a letdown. Great prices, but it's insulting that this is actually compared to Whataburger. All a bunch of hipster hype, so no surprise its so well represented in Austin.

Can't see them screwing with the recipe, investors like money.

Nook likes this.
  4. mick fry

mick fry Member

I’m Noking!

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I had some a few weeks ago for the first time and that was my exact impression. It's not bad, but nothing special. The best part about it is the awesome can!

NewRoxFan likes this.
  6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I haven't forgotten what private equity did to Schlotzsky's after the buyout in 2006. Prices were jacked up 2-3x, the food got worse, and they added a bunch of crap to the menu. They couldn't even keep their store on the UT campus open.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a brother that works for AB and he told me this beer is a marketing gold mine. The beer itself is nothing special (per him, I'm not a beer drinker) but they can't keep it on the shelves because people love the branding so much.

8. SuraGotMadHops

Second this, the Whataburger in Refugio is the BEST Whataburger I've ever had. Another small town location that is fantastic is the Whataburger in Winnie, always hit that one on the way back from Lake Charles.

ima_drummer2k, cheke64 and Nook like this.
  9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I stopped at Dairy Queen in refugio and it was the best burger ever. I will try whataburger next time I go to Port aransas.

10. NewRoxFan

The WB in Giddings is pretty good and replaced the mini Bucc-ees as my stop on the way to Austin. It even had the Chop House Cheddar burger on the menu.

[​IMG]
    The Magnolia FM 1488 WB is consistently good.

tochiee22 and Fiah like this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The chop house cheddar burger is hands down the best fast food burger I've ever had. A real shame most of the Houston area locations don't sell it.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

Agreed. The Magnolia FM1488 location once made one for me off menu. Always worth asking. Otherwise I get the Sweet and Spicy Bacon Burger.

mfastx likes this.
  13. Fiah

Fiah Member

The burgers here just taste a little better than the locations in houston.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  14. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

ya scholdtiskys did fall the **** off

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ts and Ps to the Texans for whom loudly liking Whataburger was a personality trait.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Sweet and spicy bacon burger FTW. The chophouse cheddar is good though.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Man, what the hell happened to the Chop House Cheddar Burger in Houston? It hasn't been seen here in years.

That Spicy Bacon Burger is not it IMO.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Is this gonna be as bad as Burger King buying out Popeye's?

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Never stepped inside a Whataburger in twenty years in Texas; four years at U of H and never even saw the one on Old Spanish Trail.

20. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Maybe it’s the long, boring trip down to the valley talking, but Refugio Whataburger is just different.