1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Reds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Fair point. Though I’d argue Kemp and Marisnek were not meant to be playing this much either. Whether they’re technically “replacements” or not is semantics. Either way this is part of the 162-game season. I certainly don’t think the team as a whole is suffering from clinical depression like another poster suggested (stupid Hinch?)

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They've been "drifting along listlessly" to the tune of a 13-7 record without 3 of their 4 best hitters.

This is the most entitled Yankeefanesque post I do believe I've ever seen. Even with all of your players healthy, slumps happen, without them it should be expected. We're still somehow winning games, yet "the will to win is low" because we aren't caving skulls in on a nightly basis.

leroy and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Replacements was my word. I was using it to replace farm kids, AAA that I was seeing in this thread. AAA and farm kids were not at fault for yesterday. I don't consider Alvarez a farm kid or AAA.

Reddick, Gurriel, and Marisnick have stunk up the place since Correa's last game. Brantley was in a slump relative to his normal self. Of the AAA and farm kids (not counting Alvarez), Straw and Fisher have played the most since then and both have outplayed Reddick and Marisnick. Mayfield has sucked. Stubbs hardly plays.

The problem with Astros scoring since Correa's last game is based on MLB players on opening day and Mayfield sucking.

everyday eddie and Amshirvani like this.
  4. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Correa was put on the IL May 29th. At this time the Astros had a 7.5 game lead in the AL West. After all the whining in here you would think our division lead would be 2 games.

The lead is now 8.5......

Just a reminder...in 2017 the Astros lost 3 games in a row multiple times. They even lost 5 in a row to the White Sox and Rangers.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

We have our 3 best position players out that play the 3 most important positions on the field and we still have one of the best records in the league. We are going to add 3 bona-fide all-stars and potential MVP candidates to the roster by the end of the all-star break. We'll be fine. I'm still worried about our 3rd pitcher for the playoffs. I love Peacock but he's way too inconsistent.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

7. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

Seems odd to send down a pitcher at this stage, as this gives us a seemingly needless 5 man bench for tonight.

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Myles Straw is more likely to win us a game today than Perez (who I'm assuming was sent down). Thanks to the off days, a blowout, and losses where we only pitched 8 innings, our bullpen is really fresh right now.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You keep Straw as long as Jake and Springer are still out, and you keep Mayfield around until we know Altuve is 100% or Diaz is back.

#429 jim1961, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Altuve doesn't play 3B or SS. I'm guessing Mayfield sticks until one of Correa or Diaz is back.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

National League game dictates it a bit.

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Damn. I knew they'd give Alvarez a day off sometime, just not ready for it yet.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Alvarez will play a lot during the Yankees series, and hopefully have a lot of fun with the short porch in RF.

No way we go with a 5-man bench against the Yankees, a tough AL team, and 4-game series. Somebody goes down for a pitcher (even temporary). Or, could there be a trade? Just wondering.

14. conquistador#11

I blame the rain delays for losing this series.

jsingles likes this.
  15. HTM

HTM Member

Constantly raining in the Cincinnati hellscape*

(*Ok it's not a hellscape but I like using the word hellscape)

jcee15 likes this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd guess Mayfield goes down. Not sure who they'd bring back, though. McTaggart is reporting that McHugh is due for 2 more rehab outings on Friday and Saturday.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ugh.... These roofless stadiums. o_O

desihooper and HTown2017Champs like this.
  18. astroscolt45

astroscolt45 Member

Just pulled up weather in Cincinnati, its not supposed to stop raining through tomorrow

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Damn, Johnny Bench looks pretty good. Love that he’s helping Stubbs. Can’t get much better than that.

20. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

They'll play.

Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly after 5pm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rain. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 82. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.