1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shumpert : what is he worth and why the hell did we trade for him ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jun 17, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

played great vs GS which is what mattered. sucks alot of other players didn't come along for the ride though

HP3 and xaos like this.
  2. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

How many games could he have possibly played as a rocket? 2 months of a player acquired mid-season... You’re comment lacks context and seeing how he replaced other options in the rotation is also inaccurate. So, quote stats all you like no one here is going to argue that he was amazing. Believing he has a future as a rocket is pretty easy picture to paint which was sort of the question posed by OP.

Failed commentary. Failed retort. Want some more? I’m serving reality pie at half price for CF this summer.

YOLO likes this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Was discussing this idea with Bima 10 days ago …. its not so cut and dried as signing him to a one year deal. He'll have the right to refuse trades under 1 year deals.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...pre-draft-edition.299004/page-4#post-12454088

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...pre-draft-edition.299004/page-4#post-12454237

Vivi likes this.
  4. tc0330

tc0330 Member

I can’t argue with delusional people. Those averages literally all i need to say. The dude is trash on our team. THATS reality idk how else to spell it out for you. Go cry to someone else. It’s not my fault he sucks a$$.

5. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

This.
    Shumbert just sucks.
    I still can't believe he cost us a 1st round pick.

tc0330 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol people in here crying at some late 1st round pick that would probably never see the floor

HP3 likes this.
  7. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Lmao.
    You can say the same shiit on MCW.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And...his value to Rox going forward remains up in the air. Re-signed and thru a training camp = productive? Re-signed and traded = value rec'd? Or, just unceremoniously dumped.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

hes likely a trade piece anyway. and regardless a rotational player and it was a good thing he was here because the other bench players were garbage

xiki likes this.
  10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Rockets acquired Shumbert by sending out Brandon Knight + Chriss + one 1st round pick + one 2nd round pick!!!

What a terrible trade for us.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah i sure miss knight and chriss. and 2 imaginary players that may never see an nba floor ever

HP3 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The Rockets dumped Ryan Anderson and dipped below the lux tax by sending out one 1st rd pick, one 2nd rd pick, and D'Anthony Melton.

That's what the trade was for guys.

xiki, HP3 and YOLO like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Right now , I'd much rather have Anderson's expiring contract , a first round pick , a second round pick and Melton than having dipped below the tax line.

You can always dump salary …. they did it backwards.

tc0330 and PeterKingX like this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

After we couldn’t make a trade and go over the cap for a good player, we went for tax savings on a veteran wing who has experience against GSW.

15. dmoneybangbang

Lol, someone big? They only people that think these were “big” moves are idiots.

They hoped these players could outperform their contracts and be contributing rotations players while the rockets were operating with cap restraints.

YOLO likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

Once we couldn’t upgrade the team with good players, it became about money and luxury tax savings.

Don’t leave out that we actually tried to get a player like Butler, who would kill our cap before settling.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The repeater tax problem was a real one. It sucks to dump a first and two 2nds for nothing but I'd rather have done that now then have to tear down our team in 3 years from now due to the unwillingness to get porked by the taxes.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Terrible acquistion, really unplayable.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

To duck the tax and hope he just brings what he brought in SAC. Unfortunately he's beyond terrible at following instructions with regards to shot selection and team defense.

20. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

I understand the value in ducking under the tax last year, but I bet we gave up extra draft capital to get Shump's expiring deal vs. a longer-term deal like Koufos, Leuer, Delly, or Waiters, all of which would have been useful for salary-matching purposes this summer.