1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shumpert : what is he worth and why the hell did we trade for him ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Game7

Game7 Member

He was coming off injury/possibly not in shape — per “sources” on this board.

2. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

It was a joke, didn't you hear Maury on ESPN say he made that decision, cmon man

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

WHAT IN THE HELL IS GOING ON IN HERE??!??! NOW WE ARE QUESTIONING SHUMP?!?! HAVE YOU ALL LOST YOUR MINDS?!?!?!

cheke64 and daywalker02 like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Chandler is done? Physically or what I honestly don’t know much about him...

I agree it’s a situation where probably a lesser player is coming in then what CF has eyes on. And if last year is any indication, we are not seeing a big time player join the ranks lest we trade one of our core. So adding Shumpert with his exception, adding a MLE forward as the 6th/7th rotation pieces isn’t a loss to me, quite the opposite. And I do believe in shumpert’s eventual fit/role. He was well liked and happy in Sacramento, got traded to a team you pretty much have to be ready for and he wasn’t, physically or mentally and it showed.

Really think that’s the outcome unless morey has another rabbit in the hat. The big projection for me is hoping Clark and Hartenstein show out and make themselves worthy 8th/9th players on the rotation. The reach is hoping House comes back after all this! Maybe it takes MLE just to keep him home. But then you’re really banking super hard on finding vet min players to outplay their contract, buyouts and the young guys being real contributors.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The honest answer is its all about the money.

Tillman wanted to get off the Ryno then Knight contracts so bad to get below the lux tax deadline that he was willing to move a super valuable first round draft picks to get that done. Morey has always liked Shumpert as a defender who he thought might be able to develop a 3 point shot, but probably never thought about spending a 1st round pick to get him.

So the deal was about three things-

-A. Save Tillman's money
    -B. Sell the fanbase that it was a great deal because we get a superstar game changer
    -C. Morey gets a usable player he's always wanted... even though he's drastically overpaying for him

#25 dobro1229, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  6. dobro1229

In retrospect too, this trade seems all the more ridiculous to me. Ennis could have played Shumperts playoff minutes as sparring as they were, and you wouldn't have lost a damn thing.

If Knight was still on the roster, it would have given the Rockets an option if they could move Paul for Knight to run the second unit when Harden is on the bench. With a full offseason to rehab, the Rockets have had more time to evaluate Knight's ability to get healthy and play that role next year.

And the Rockets have a first rounder this draft to either make a trade that matters, or get a MUCH MUCH MUCH needed young player infuse some much needed young talent on this roster.

I don't have a ton of issues with the Ryno trade, but when you couple that with the Knight Shumpert trade, it easily could go down as Morey worst trade ever. Maybe worse than the Terrence Williams trade.

luckyman76 and MrButtocks like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He's an expiring contract. They are so valuable for any team looking to dump talent to save money. Remember when we boasted about it with Shane Battier? He's expiring contract was so valuable it just walked out of here for free.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Rockets fans are pretty intelligent, at least the majority.

And I am especially counting those who are not members of this board, I guess, there are plenty.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Homeowners Insurance in case House didn't show in the playoffs.

Policy paid off but only covered game 3 vs. Warriors

10. dobro1229

Exactly... which is why this was an incredibly stupid trade. Morey knows this, and even sort of fessed up to Zach Lowe on his podcast some time ago. You cannot blow smoke up our arse as a fanbase, and Morey should know better than to go that route.

But yeah he's in a tough spot. He can't say his new owner is freaking out about money, and dictated the move. He probably is still holding out hope that maybe with a little seasoning Tillman can start chilling out and let him do his job. If not, I anticipate with another season like this with cost cutting measures, I think Morey isn't the type of GM to keep toeing the company line to this extent and constantly kissing the ring.

Basically another year of this crap, and I think we are going to lose Morey when his contract is up.

11. jowman

jowman Member

Speaks more to the pathetic lack of depth on the bench than shumperts abilities tbh

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

it does but he still helped in a big way the rockets getting out of a 2-0 hole and tying the series up

Denovo likes this.
  13. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

14. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

he was huge in a couple of those games against the warriors and his defense was good enough, better than house, ennis, and green. he does little things like go in front of a screen and can't be posted up easily. he boxes out. I think expectations were too high. he's not what we once was, but those little things are why he played over faried, house, and green. His purpose was to duck the tax and take ennis spot, which he did, he's better than ennis.

i'd gladly take him for the minimum.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20 million for 1 year... Send him to Phila with 4 first rounders... :p

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. tc0330

tc0330 Member

failed experiment

Corrosion likes this.
  17. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Melo was a failed experiment. Iman Shumpert is a champion and easily a rotation level player. FOH with that trash commentary.

YOLO likes this.
  18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

shumpert averaged 4.6pts, 2.7 rebounds and .296% 3P% in 19min with us. aka failed experiment. FOH with that dumbass response.

Gray_Jay and PeterKingX like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

One of these things is not like the other ….

Ennis and MCW were minimum signings …. worth the gamble.

Shumpert cost you a #1 pick …. and was hot garbage before the trade and after.

I think the idea was "he gets us under the tax and …. Maybe he catches fire and we can use that as our excuse."

Gray_Jay, PeterKingX and tc0330 like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Joe didn't cost a first round pick …. just the prorated veterans minimum.

PeterKingX and daywalker02 like this.