1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A Smith: "Harden and Butler have been communicating"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 17, 2019.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would want to join the Raptors if I was him, regardless if KL stays or not.

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Since its the rumor mill. Why not have Kawhi Leonard joining the team.

3. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Kawhi isn't coming here to be ball boy for Harden and stand in the corner

He is a two times finals MVP and a better player than Harden, he has won 2 rings as best player on his team, why would he come here to play 2nd fiddle?

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

The only way to get butler is a sign and trade, right? We cant move that kind of cap space without moving Paul and we cant move paul without taking some salary back and/or givibg something up. Would have to be a 3-team deal or multiple deals, which are hard to do. Feels like in either scenario Clint would be dealt.

Does anyone else see the butler thing as improbable?

And Is jimmy butler better than having Clint and CP3?

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article231667818.html

Jimmy Butler likes the Heat and would have interest in taking a meeting with the Heat in free agency, as the AP’s Tim Reynolds reported and colleague Anthony Chiang also was told in recent weeks.

But the odds remain very much against Butler joining the Heat, primarily because of Miami’s lack of cap space, but also because Butler would not be opposed to a return to Philadelphia, which is positioned to make him a max offer.

The 76ers are optimistic about Butler’s return and not looking to deal him in a sign-and-trade.

And if, for whatever reason, he didn’t return to Philadelphia, other teams with cap space – such as the Lakers and Nets and Clippers – would be better positioned to lure him than Miami would be.

Aruba77 and Vivi like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know it is not entirely his fault but he has been a journeyman these past years.

You can't really expect to win a championship bouncing from team to team, even if you bounced from one contender to the next, which is not entirely the case here.

I would choose somewhere where he can get at least 20 million a year and has a sure chance at the championship.

And possibly not a weak coach in the playoffs like Dan Tony.

Philly is too young, a shame but Philly ain't a bad choice, IMHO they are still a Top 5 team.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

For some reason, I have never been quite sold on him. Obviously he's a very good player and I'm sure he would help us, but we are already have a very solid 3 man rotation in the backcourt. If he can help defend and rebound, that'd be great.

9. Aruba77

yeah. we are not getting Jimmy Butler. I just don't see how that's realistic at all.

amaru likes this.
  10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems odd that CP3 isn't helping Harden lure Butler here....

11. mockster

mockster Member

It’s not a rumor, harden has been recruiting butler for a while. Whether he comes here or not we will see

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just like Harden wasn't helping to lure Lebron and Dwight wasn't helping to lure LMA ;)

amaru likes this.
  13. jb86

jb86 Member

Is it not possible to go into the luxury tax to get Jimmy?

14. Chad Butler

Chad Butler Member

Well, it’s not really about what they want. If Jimmy says he’s going to Houston regardless and you have the opportunity to get something back for him (especially a former 6MOY), you take that deal.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Please come to Houston Jimmy, i've been waiting for you from years.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

if he wants to come here, he will get here.

The heat have no attractive assets to make the money work. I'm sure the 76ers don't want whiteside and dragic with waiters contract for a SNT.

Riley is a prick. There's no way he'd send Richardson because Riley believes he always has the leverage.

Eric Gordon is a high level replacement player and is on a very team friendly deal. Nene will retire immediately if he's traded.

The 76ers would be ecstatic if Butler chose us in the situation that he leaves.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Eh, i totally disagree with the bold part, they could trade Dragic expiring and Richardson or Winslow, maybe a pick...i agree on your view on Riley, but keep in mind rumors said in the end he was willing to trade Richardson for Butler, but Thibs was playing around asking for more or something similar and he got pissed, which is something i can totally see tbh.

Now i'm not sure if they could still be in the mix here, i guess it all depends on Jimmy, now he can basically decide where to go, but if for some reason he's ok with Miami i think they can beat us easily if they want. The only advantage we would have is that we play in the other conference, and the Heat with a couple of moves could be able to be players in a year in free agency, that may scare the Sixers a bit.

18. Aruba77

but how is he going to Houston regardless. they know we can't offer him enough money, right?

19. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Rockets might not, but I don't think a Miami beat writer is especially plugged in on whatever Philly's thought process is or what their chances are.

Deuce likes this.
  20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Umm, have you played NBA 2K? Everyone is coming to the Rockets on vet min.

But yes, you're absolutely right.