1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Capela or EGo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jun 17, 2019.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Interested to hear everyones thoughts on this.

Let’s say you could trade either of these guys and get back a star player. If so, who would you pick?

My initial instinct was Capela, simply because he wasn’t effective against the Warriors. Then I remembered that the Warriors won’t be those Warriors next year, and now I’m not sure.

With Capela, you have a guy that fits perfectly into your system, and is devastating against 27 teams in this league (not GSW or Milwaukee). He’s signed for the next 4 years on a very reasonable deal, and will be in his prime for the duration of his contract.

With EGo, you have a perfect flex that can be either a playmaker or role player, and can definitely stay on the court against GSW. But he’s in the last year of his deal, and is on the back end of his prime.

If we were playing the super team GSW, I’d say trade Capela and keep EGo, despite the difference in their ages and contracts. But since this isn’t those Warriors, I’m wondering if Capela gives you the higher floor, and maybe that’s more important for next year.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

who are we going to trade either of them for that gets us over the hump ?

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Depends on:

- who you can get to replace the one you trade
    - if Gordon is willing to sign an extension

For me, if Eric is willing to extend and we can somehow bring in, let's say DeAndre or Brook, i'd be ok with moving Clint, but if we're not able to get a solid center to replace Clint and/or especially if Gordon is not willing to sign an extension, i'd trade Eric.

4. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Unless Capela develops some kind of mid range or 3 point shooting game, he will be the one to go.

Bigs like Capela who feed off lobs pretty much are a dime a dozen

ak99999 and smoothie like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its gonna take both to match the incoming salary of a star player anyway.

Possum and ak99999 like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

trade whoever brings the best return and is best able to improve the team ...trade both if u have to

D-rock, ryano2009 and Rasheed like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think that’s the case. Daryl is pretty creative. Shump comes to mind...

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if we S&T Shumpert we can't aggregate his salary with other outgoing players (capela or ego). signing Shumpert to a large enough deal to take in a max salary player while keeping ego/capela would put us deep over the LT, and over the apron, which comes into play if we are taking in another S&T player like butler). also, signing and trading shumpert for another player who is being signed and traded to us is extremely difficult and unlikely. I'm not saying you're wrong, but its just much more complicated and therefor less likely to workout that way.

if we were to S&T shumpert I would bet on a medium size 1/yr contract ($10-15M) and then a midseason/deadline trade.

jerryclark and RudyTBag like this.
  9. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

How do you think we would obtain Jimmy Butler using both Capela and Gordon? Would we be re-directing Clint in your best estimation?

10. blackistan

blackistan Member

CP and Capela not Gordon

11. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

I wouldn’t mind if CP3, Gordon and Capela all go this offseason. Just keep Harden and Tucker.

12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

13. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Gordon too. I think he ran his course. I wanna cash out with him before I starts been hurt all the time again...we got everything we asked for n more out of him when we took a gamble on him...lets not push our luck

14. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Gordon is a really good player...I think he is the key to get Jimmy. Cause if ur 76ers Gordon ain't a bad consolation prize...a 2 way deep shooter. May dit better for them. Plus I bet jj leaves so they gonna need shooters

D-rock likes this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that was the problem with butler opting out. he's going to demand so much money that we would have to package ego/capela and the Sixers don't need capela. so, yes I would think this would require a 3rd team.

RudyTBag likes this.
  16. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

not happening, we're stuck with what we have and we'll use the MLE to re-sign Rivers. That's about all we can realistically hope for.

17. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

He hasn’t officially opted out though right?

18. SemisolidSnake

I mean, there might actually be some interest in Gordon from teams. He's probably a decently valuable asset since we're talking in asset terms.

If I were another team with a coach that actually can improve his players, I might lowball an offer for Capela and then try to add some value to him. Or use him as a bench player. Key word: lowball. Capela's just shown the entire world that he's unfit for his current role on any serious team. If you can get him cheap, though, you might be able to do something with him. And if you can't get him cheap, then the Rockets suffer with him and his contract, and that's also good for your team. But no one's paying even close to what we paid for him. And whatever you could get for Gordon and Capela combined still isn't going to cover the magical "third star" unicorn.

19. ball king23

ball king23 Member

depend on who gets a good package but between now and thursday lets see

20. tc0330

tc0330 Member

i feel like we flip capela before ego. it might be just me but i think we dont need capela. if we had a small forward as good as capela or with the potential he has i think wed be in a better spot. then just replace clint with a cheap big body center who can rebound block and dunk