1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Trade Speculation and/or Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Imo trading Yuli isn't something i would do until the offseason.

2. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

They wouldn’t want him. But, they’d prefer taking Yuli for free as opposed to writing a $10 million check. He’s in lieu of salary offset check they wrote the Yankees.
    He’s a rental, they’d have no qualms trading inside the division. We aren’t rivals they’d have no qualms with us being better this year.

#422 Wulaw Horn, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But how do you know how their front office thinks?

4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

HTown2017Champs and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Because they all think like that, and it’s give them the free potential to flip him next year if they establish any value. And the Seattle GM loves to trade at the margins. He’s the busiest guy in MLB transaction wise.

6. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

RP market is robust so I do expect Houston to add a really good reliever. McHugh, James/Devenski, Smith, Rondon, Harris, TBD, Pressly, Osuna is salty.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Depends on what the Astros do with the rotation. If they add a starter I could see Peacock/Harris being the 7th inning guys. Harris against lefties and Peacock against righties.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Oh I agree, I think the playoff bullpen will be fine as long as everybody is healthy. McHugh/James as guys who can go multiple innings if a starter gets knocked out or if the game goes extra. Smith/Rondon/Harris/Peacock as 6th and 7th, Pressly 8th, Osuna 9th. But I think upgrading from Devenski/Perez/whoever as the 8th guy for the rest of this season and to provide insurance against Osuna or Pressly getting hurt makes sense especially given I expect the prices to be fairly low.

10. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Apparently the Astros (and Rays) were in on Encarnacion but didn't want to take on as much money as the Yankees.

11. HTown2017Champs

Not surprising. In other news, Clint Frazier was optioned to AAA by the Yankees. The expectation is he'll be the centerpiece of a trade for a starter (rumor has it they love Stroman, but not sure how much Cashman will give to a division rival). With the trade for EE, and some of their injured stars coming back, it was clear that the trade for Encarnacion was just the first domino, and I think this year the trade market will move much earlier than usual, especially with the death of the waiver trade deadline.

CheezeyBoy22 and Snake Diggit like this.
  12. CinematicFusion

And if there wasn’t a reason to dislike Trevor Bauer more comes this rumor...

MLB trade rumors: Yankees’ Clint Frazier for Indians’ Trevor Bauer?

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  13. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I heard they also have interest in Wheeler. As for Stroman, I heard (can't remember if it was fans or reports) that the Jays prefer pitching prospects. So if the Astros wanted him I can see the Jays liking what Houston can offer compared to what the Yankees would offer. And although the Jays are rebuilding and wouldn't care if they would have to face Stroman this year and next year, would they still prefer to trade him outside of the division?

14. Buck Turgidson

Like you said, I would think/hope that any rebuilding team would take the best trade package they can, division be damned.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

MLBTR put up their trade candidate list:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/06/top-50-trade-candidates-2019-mlb-trade-deadline.html

Of interest to Astros:

SP:
    Madison Bumgarner
    Marcus Stroman
    Mattthew Boyd
    Mike Leake
    Danny Duffy
    Jeff Samardzija
    Mike Minor
    Zack Wheeler
    Trevor Bauer

RP:
    Will Smith
    Kirby Yates
    Tony Watson
    Sam Dyson
    Shane Greene
    Alex Colome
    Mychal Givens
    Francisco Liriano
    Mark Melancon
    Felipe Vasquez
    Raisel Iglesias
    Brad Hand

Bats:
    Justin Smoak
    Nick Castellanos
    Derek Dietrich
    Brandon Belt
    Jose Abreu
    Anthony Rendon

They don’t have the Nats or Mets as sellers, which would add a few names Houston would be interested in. I also think Houston will be interested in catchers who wouldn’t qualify as big names (J McCann, Maldonado, etc.).

A couple of names they didn’t mention at all that I think Houston would want are Andrew Heaney and Steven Matz.

No Worries and everyday eddie like this.
  16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I see Anthony Rendon ... or is he not who I think he is?

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

18. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

19. HTown2017Champs

That sucks. Hope it's not too bad. This will become a strong argument in the inevitable DH to NL. My views on the DH and pitchers hitting are mixed and well-documented, but we need universal rules.

whiskeyred and Buck Turgidson like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Lucky guy. At least it was his nose (been there) and not his cheek/orbital/jaw/etc bone. As long as they fix the sinus/breathing passages right you're good to go once the internal swelling goes down in a couple of weeks. I've never seen a MLB player, much less a pitcher, wear one of the NBA-style face guards.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.