1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans withdraw pursuit of Nick Caserio

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

Is he a good GM though? I think you only trade for a GM if he is proven. We're not even sure what this guy does. This will be the first place he will wear the title and role of a GM.

Plus reports are saying they wanted much more than a 5th. What if the Patriots want a 3rd or higher?

2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Then the Texans say **** you, let him disrupt whatever he can disrupt internally over there and wait til next year. With a higher up that disgruntled and already having a guaranteed job elsewhere, they have no leverage in any kind of desired compensation.

Nimo likes this.
  3. texans1095

texans1095 Member

This news makes the “Texans ending pursuit of Caserio” news a lot more understandable and reasonable. If you’re so certain that he wants to come to Houston, it is arguably worth waiting until next offseason if it means not having to give up a premium draft pick to have him now. If they end up with him after next offseason then it won’t be as big of a win as if they’d gotten him now, but it would still be a win. Of course, then he actually has to prove it as a GM but I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t/wouldn’t be able to do that.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And they haven't even interviewed him. But they've already chosen him.

I hope in the future minority candidates refuse sham interviews which let the Texans bypass the rooney rule

Nimo likes this.
  5. mario_v

mario_v Member

I like Caserio, but we don’t even know if he’ll be a good gm.

Here’s what we do know: Patriots have never been aggressive in the offseason. When is the last time they have gone after good free agents?

They lose top talent like Trent brown all the time and they just simply replace them with average players. They just know how to coach up their players and get the most out of their limited talent.

I don’t expect Caserio to be any different than Brian Gaine was when it comes to free agency. Patriots have never been aggressive in free agency, so what makes everyone think that Caserio will all of a sudden be aggressive now?

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I agree with many of your points, but the mark of a good GM is how they perform in the draft, not necessarily how aggressive they are in FA. Good teams are built through the draft and then supplemented through FA. I think the Pats have typically done well in that regard.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

You have to go back to 2015 to find the last draft the Patriots did very well. This year looks good though. My point is Patriots can afford dud drafts, and they have had dud drafts.

Frank Drebin likes this.
  8. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Some positions the pats draft better than others.
    They can't seem to pick wr's, at least in the top 2-3 rounds. (they can take short white qb fa's & strike gold)
    And since their OL free agents haven't panned out away from Foxboro is it all Dante Scarnecchia coaching average picks up?

9. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

On the draft pick thing I say we give them a Belichick special, our 5th rounder for their 6th.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm sure he'll be a professional and continue to do his job well... but in what field does it ever really work out that a disgruntled employee is forced to "play it out"???

csj likes this.
  11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

If he’s voicing that he wants to leave, this will be resolved within a couple weeks.

raining threes and csj like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

13. Mr. Clutch

Wow Ben Violin, maybe you should have made that clear in the first place

14. Mr. Clutch

15. Buck Turgidson

BOB stays with the Texans as the usual regular defacto GM and Coach and OC.

Caserio stays with NE.

We fire BOB.

We hire Caserio.

Caserio hires a new coach.

Draft/FA

Profit.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's all the Rooney rule is,in most cases.

Most of the times teams have their candidatsc narrowed down to 3 or 4 people and if they're not a minority, they have to do a sham interview to satisfy the rule.

I think, as a whole, we've reached a point to where the Rooney rule is not needed. It's almost doing more harm than good.

raining threes and gucci888 like this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Which may have been the plan all along?

18. raining threes

You could've made this post about the Rams 3 years ago as well as the Texans. One teams had a vision and was aggressive in FA/Draft/Trades and made a SB, the other sat on their hands and currently dont even have a GM. Surely you can see the difference.

BTW, now that Arians is in Tampa there's a pretty good chance the Bucs will be better than the Texans in 3 yrs.

19. Mr. Clutch

Why are we so sure caserio is some sort of genius?

20. raining threes

Cal was in the boardroom, he certainly didn't speak up to his daddy. In short it's doubtful Cal is Stephen Jones.