1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman "Two Chopper" Fertitta

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Jun 17, 2019.

1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Damn straight.

2. Raven

Raven Member

3. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

A new training facility that's only worth half of what CP3 is getting paid? Damn, Tilman is a cheap bum /s

4. Nook

Nook Member

Tilman bought the Rockets for his ego. He DOES want to win really bad. He does love the city of Houston and he wants to be the person to bring titles to Houston. He wants to be viewed as a pillar of the community and loved by the city as a successful businessman and generous patron of the city.

So I DO believe he will spend money on the Rockets, he is still getting his feet wet. The whole organization was used to Les and how Less did business. He owner the team for almost 25 years. It is a big culture shift to Tilman.

RayRay10, Deuce, treyk3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

“The true measure of a man is his not his wealth in terms of the vastness of monetary holdings, but instead is the size of his fleet of helicopters”

-Xerobull, 2019

CometsWin, Wulaw Horn, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...amn-turmoil-unsettling-vibe-surrounds-rockets

7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

I think you're correct. But to say the Rockets were strictly an ego purchase, or to believe that his givings and generosity is purely for altruistic purposes, would be to underestimate Tilman. Being in the public eye benefits him greatly. It gives his voice weight, helps him legitimize and expand his gambling enterprise, and it gives him power at the negotiating table--and over others.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Tilman. I'm pretty confident years from now we'll look back and say he was a good owner (so long as he doesn't bite of more than he can chew outside of basketball). I just think we'll all be better off when Tilman realizes how emotional and irrational fans and the sports media can be, and he takes a step back (no pun intended) and lets his people do their thing.

Nook likes this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Two helicopters? lulz
    Grown ass NBA players aren't impressed. Leave that for UH.
    NEXT.
    @Ziggy

:D

Little Bit likes this.
  9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I would think by now we'd be a little more skeptical about the liquidity of wealth that a hospitality mogul with a Reality TV show. Lets not forget about the another so-called "billionaire" who lost over a billion dollars of the banks money when at the same time he was flying around in his own private jet, and helicopter.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

[​IMG]

sammy and Nook like this.
  11. basketballholic

Sure.

As i stated here

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php...quad-is-locked-in.297895/page-2#post-12349298

on April 18th I was pessimistic about being able to beat the Warriors this past season.... but as soon as we lost I became optimistic about this season because I knew Morey and Two Chopper were not going to go to the well a third time with this group. I knew there would be some necessary fundamental changes to our personnel and system going into next season.

I had already accepted the fact that we were not good enough. Most of the fans here thought we were good enough. They were optimistic.

Now most are pessimistic (and wrong as usual). And I'm optimistic because I believe that Morey and Harden and Paul all KNOW what has to be done. I think they all realize that we have to play 5 out with shooters at every spot, not only to beat the Warriors but to also beat the other up and coming teams in both conferences. And so it's game on. 5 out, pick and pop, with shooting bigs that can read the defense and pop for the 3 or slip and roll to the rim on overplay.

Also I think Harty is ready to either be part of that move or at the very least his trade value has matriculated up to a first rounder.

And we have all our picks going forward and Gordon whose trade value should be high plus we've got a bargain contract in Capela that most of us here think will be easy to move for value.

And i believe that moving to a 5 out upgrade will also allow us to acquire several low salary players that will fit and look very good in that system and we'll be able to create increased trade value out of those minimal salary acquisitions on top of their value at TBD top of our rotation.

A pick and pop system is a dream scenario for us with both Harden and Cp3 even if we don't add a third star/ superstar.

And finally I do believe we're going to get another great core piece to add to Harden cp3 and tuck. And we could possibly add 2 great pieces to our core 3. Either between now and the draft. Or after the draft. Or maybe down at the deadline.

We have put the repeater luxury tax problem to sleep for the length of Paul's deal. That's great to have behind us. And I do believe Tillman is prepared to pay the regular non-repeater tax going forward. And I do believe Morey is one of the best there is at getting maximum value out of salary cap dollars.

So we won't be bogged down with bad deals going forward. No need for desperation Anderson signings. We can now take on salary with assets, make them look good in our system, then flip them back out as expirings with increased value for more assets.
    And there's opportunity to do that this season with both the Thunder and Heat having to avoid the repeater tax that the Thunder just got done paying and cannot afford to pay for at least the next 2 seasons and that the Heat have to avoid this season again like they did last season order to avoid the repeater tax going forward. Not to mention other teams like the Pistons tearing it down.

So even if we strike out in free agency I will remain optimistic. I see a plethora of opportunity. And it all stems from the organization realizing what has to be done to contend for titles.

Interview had nothing to do with my optimism. Just confirmed what I already felt.

Isn't it obvious?

We tried to get Butler early in the season. AD is gone. So now Butler is front and center. And if we don't land Butler... then we wait and extract assets in other deals and position ourselves for the next big thing.

I'm optimistic about Butler opting in and forcing a trade. But if that doesn't happen I'm still plenty optimistic about building out an upgraded roster to match and align with our system upgrades that are coming.

#31 basketballholic, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    treyk3 likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This man bought a sports team for $2 billion dollars. That's a million dollars 2000 times.

Then fans joked that he was in financial trouble. It was funny.

Then fans complained enough that reality became blurred with joking and Stephen A Smith, because internet.

Then fans are shocked and condescending when Morey jokes and says this stuff is overblown and the Rockets are still operating as a sports franchise.

We haven't even gotten to July yet.

Meanwhile, Cal McNair is making Tilman Fertitta look like Peter Holt.

Conclusion: #FireBillObrien

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

This guy is so ****ing full of **** . Lol at the chumps that believe this. Just have to look at his other business ventures

14. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Thanks so to summarize.

1. You were pessimistic when others were optimistic and you are optimistic when others are pessimistic
    2. We will get another core piece either before the draft or after the draft or sometime down the line
    3. We may do well in free agency or we may strike out in free agency
    4. We may get Butler or we may not get Butler

Appreciate the insight brah

BamBam likes this.
  15. basketballholic

Yah brah. Terrible summary. Cya roun.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There's an SNL sketch in this Fertita/fortune pee-pee game.

J.R. likes this.
  17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess it beats Two Sandwiches.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

LOL. Most of those things are, "drawing, plans. and proposals." Lets see it when its complete.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not like Morey has been humble these past years, his system is borderline aesthetically watchable and not winning the ultimate prize while half his core is old and slow, getting one year older.