1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What the hell is going on in the Dominican Republic?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, Jun 15, 2019.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I bet it's the pink cocaine -- 8 deaths plus Big Papi shooting.
    ______

Another American tourist dies while staying at Dominican Republic resort

The son of a New York City woman who died celebrating her birthday amid a spate of reported illnesses and deaths in the Dominican Republic is blaming the Caribbean country for her death.

Leyla Cox, 53, an MRI technician from Staten Island, was staying at the Excellence resort in Punta Cana when she died Tuesday, just a day after her birthday, according to her son.

Leyla Cox had been to Punta Cana twice before at the same hotel and was excited to celebrate her birthday there, Will Cox told NBC's "Nightly News." He said that he tried to warn his mother about the recent string of deaths on the island, but she left before he had a chance.

"And then, on June 11th, my worst fears came true. She was pronounced dead," he said Friday.

The family still doesn't know Leyla Cox's cause of death and have not had the chance to mourn properly as her remains still haven't been returned home, according to her son.

"The Dominican Republic has put every roadblock in my way to prevent me from finding the answers that I need to sleep at night," Will Cox said. "It keeps me up at night knowing that my mother's remains belongs to a foreign country."

Will Cox claims that a representative for the U.S. Embassy told him that a toxicology test would not be conducted on his mother's body due to broken machines.

"She was at no risk for a heart attack and I truly believe in some way, shape or form, the Dominican Republic is responsible for my mother's death," he said. "If she would've went anywhere else in the world, she'd be alive today. "

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-new...dominican-republic-rises-to-eight-61965893511

2. KingCheetah

Lots of stories about people going recently and getting really ill ... illegal pesticides/cleaners, bootleg liquor, bad drugs are some of the theories.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Saw last weektheir prices were cheap .. 180 round trip...My black ass won't be there though...

macho GRANDE, bobloblaw, IBTL and 3 others like this.
  4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just want to remind everybody what other country Dominican Republic shares their island with - a country that is the birthplace of a certain religion intimately associated with certain... practices.

Hopefuly they are taking precautions prior to burial. I bet ROXRAN is prepared, wherever he is.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The pesticide theory seems to carry a lot of weight.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I was there about 8 years ago. Guess I'm not going back.

I think it's the bootleg alcohol. The methanol.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Am I the only one assuming this is business as usual?

Blurr#7 and BigM like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's a third world country that's poor AF, with all of the health issues that come along with that sort of thing. Why the hell would you visit such a place?

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I hear their adult resorts are legit. Those girls get tested regularly so absolutely no worries for STDs. None at all. Super safe.

bobloblaw likes this.
  10. Two Sandwiches

Great beaches, nice resorts.

Also, I find it eye opening and quite humbling to visit a country like that.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Two different things here.

1. You can get the beaches and resorts in dozens of safer countries. Including the USA

2. If you’re going for some sort of humanitarian or spiritual reason, you’re not a tourist, and hopefully you’re going in with eyes wide open to the possible dangers.

Blurr#7 and Sajan like this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

You just scratched a whole lot of popular tourist destinations off your list.

13. KingCheetah

Correct me if I'm wrong -- aren't travel packages to the DR surprisingly affordable and popular among lower middle class individuals/ families?

14. Two Sandwiches

I agree with you, which is largely why I haven't been back. Been to other, safer, places since.

I understand people want to travel, but there are so many naive people out there that think they're wrapped in a coccoon of safety behind the resort walls, which is not always the case.

Even while I was there, I heard of people getting robbed the day before.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  15. IBTL

IBTL Member

Im sure its beautiful....and im buying into the hype, but Im not going near that ****

16. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I love it when you call me Big Papi.
    Ya got a gun up in your waist, please don't shoot up the place.
    Why? 'Cause I see some ladies tonight...
    That should be havin' my baby... baby!

-- Notorious ORTIZ

17. Xerobull

No clue. And while I’m a firm believer that some things are way overpriced and deals are out there, there is a such a thing as paying for quality.

@BigM why the hell would you want to go to another country just to pay for sex? You break down the cost in time and money, I’m sure there are higher quality pros here that will cost the same.

@Buck Turgidson yeah, that’s sort of the point. Don’t go to the hood expecting top shelf liquor to be real top shelf.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

D.R.? Where's it next to? Ha-HELL NAW!!!

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

No idea but it’s a thing. People do lots of dumb things.

20. KingCheetah

I would imagine people going to a resort in DR believe they are paying for a quality vacation -- it's not the Maldives, but the resorts look nice. Outside of this odd spat of deaths I haven't heard of serious safety issues with the DR before beyond don't go roaming around sketchy places outside your resort.