1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Question about Metro bus Park & Ride

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Got a job offer, but it's in the Med Center. I live in Cypress.

I've never taken a Metro bus before so I have some noob questions.

First, per this link, my Park & Ride would be zone 4, so $4.50 per ride. However, the route I'm looking at would have me take one bus from Cypress to the Northwest Transit Center, then take another to the Med Center.

So am I paying $4.50 just to get to the Northwest Transit Center? At which point I'd have to pay an additional $3.25 to get to the Med Center? Or is the entire trip covered by the $4.50?

Thanks

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Transfers are good for 3 hours on Metro just need your Q card

REEKO_HTOWN and Haymitch like this.
  3. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Get a Q Card, which you can get at HEB.

Poloshirtbandit and Haymitch like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Thanks! @texanskan & @Cohete Rojo and others, my next and last question is about a student discount. I am a current grad student. But, it's an online school, so it's not like I'm relying on Metro to get to and from school. So do y'all think I would qualify for the student rate (half off)?

Their site doesn't explicitly say that you must be a student at a B&M Houston-area school, but it does list all of the Houston-area colleges on that same page. So I'm a but unclear.

I realize I can call their customer service line, but if anyone here has direct experience/knowledge I'd appreciate the input.

5. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

No idea man, I drive my car and don't use Metro unless it's to go to the rodeo

6. jsingles

jsingles Member

Don't want to hijack your thread HM, but I also have a metro question.

I'm coming in from Cypress as well and have jury duty off Preston tomorrow at 1. Hoping I don't have to drive all the way and park downtown. Looking to take the rail since it's free. Does anyone have some advice on what I should do? Thanks

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

my only experience taking the metro was like in 2002 after taking the sat and waited what felt like 2 hours. there was an old lady and a homeless man in the bus with me and i was obviously scared. I've decided to drive a car ever since.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

HM, be sure the driver watches the speed limit!

(P.S) And keeps his/her hands on the wheel at all times!!:mad:

9. Buck Turgidson

10. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

You have 2 options for transfer

(1) take bus 217 to Northwest Transit Center and take another bus to Med Center

(2) take bus 217 to downtown and ride the train to the Med Center. You can get off at nearly any stop downtown to get to the train

Idk what's faster since I've never rode the bus to the Med Center, but I believe your entire trip will cost $4.50 for a one way. Think of it this way (1) Zero wear and tear on your car, (2) sleep, text or Clutchfans on the bus, (3) $0 for parking. You save no matter what

11. trickywhiteguy

It doesn't matter if you are online or not for the student discount, as long as you can prove you are currently enrolled.

In order to get the Q card with the student discount you have to go to the metro office at the downtown transit center. The student discount must be renewed every 2 years.

I took metro from Katy to the Med Center for about 5 years but ended up driving after kids were born.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You can get a Q card, but alternatively, you can download the "Q-Ticketing" app. You can put as much money as you want on it and it will give you a bar code for each ride that's good for 3 hours. Then you just show the bar code to the driver when you get on the bus.

13. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Or you could drive like the rest of us

TWS1986 likes this.