1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone can win a Championship

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets4lf, Jun 13, 2019.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

only. ok. get some players like cp3 who can shoot midrange then we can talk. other than that I dont want to see the likes of pj tucker/eg shooting midranges. that makes no sense for them to do so

Nook likes this.
  2. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

EG made a living shooting midrange before us. If not for PJs height in the NBA, he would be a scoring threat with his hookshot.

We get players who fit our model and groom them to be robots. Thats why I hate our model, its too damn radical and handicaps our potential.

bj3175, cheke64 and lw17 like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

not really. certainly not to the level of a great midrange shooter. PJ has no hookshot. hes not a great finisher anywhere inside the 3 pt line. lets not make stuff up here.

and i hate people who just disregard the model that hides weaknesses of players. and they certainly do have them. if it were up to cf's, they would have all players do whatever they want regardless of whether they suck at it or not. no thanks

4. donkeypunch

LOL. What makes you think that a good 3 point shooter is worse at a closer shot, where the percentage increases?

PJ has no hook shot? Making stuff up? I advise you go back and look at UT tape.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

you think being a 3 pt shooter automatically translates to being a great midrange shooter? lol

did you really bring up college? lmao. i guess players are the same at 32+ compared to 20 years old

6. donkeypunch

This is why I find you rather annoying.

Yes. How the **** do you not get better at shooting when you are a good shooter already. You must not have played any sports growing up. Do you take a bad free throw shooter and say "Hey go shoot some threes theyre easier"? No, you tell them to get closer to the basket, where the probability of making a basket is at a greater percentage.

And also yes. Like I said in a prior post, if not for his height in the nba, hed be a scoring threat.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

that makes no sense. you're asking me if i played any sports growing up. anyone who has played organized basketball knows being a 3 pt shooter and midrange shooter are two completely separate aspects of the game. don't believe me, meet me out at any of the local league gyms in houston and well take a poll from ex college players and pro. obviously if that's needed, you haven't been around that much.

you just made up EG making a living in the midrange. I suggest you look at the numbers. if those are considered making a living to you, then you have issues.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/gordoer01.html

you find me annoying because i can call you out on bs. if you don't like it, post better or just shut up. stop acting like your the best damn coach in the world that's jobless. that's what's really annoying around here.

Nook likes this.
  8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Why did the Toronto Raptors, and not the Houston Rockets, win a championship in the last 2 years?

Luck. If KD had been out in last year's WCF, Rockets would have won. No KD and no Klay? We would have won for sure. If Paul George hadn't hit that shot in this season's final game, and we didn't face GSW till the conference finals, and KD had suffered his injury in the conference semis? We would have been in the finals. And don't even get me started on Chris Paul's hamstring.

It's sports, people. Our guys and our coaches and our GM can do a lot to put us in position to win. But there are so many factors they can't control. In the '90s, those factors broke our way. In this decade, they haven't.

Don't scream and blame and tear your hair out. Cheer, enjoy the ride, and cross your fingers.

Deuce, Os Trigonum and Nook like this.
  9. donkeypunch

If you played, you would ****ing know that getting closer to the basket is an easier shot. Surely, youre not that ****tard stupid. Take a poll, LOL.

EG, prior to coming here to Houston shot 3s about 25% of the time of his total attemps, at quick glance in New Orleans and LA, where he made a living. How the hell does that not resonate as making a living at midrange to you? Post better? LOL. okay... Im done with you. You can continue to live on this board and look for arguments and spam like you usually do.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

getting closer for a layup is completely different shooting from a midrange. those two are also compeltely different. getting closer means nothing without actual context. your ymca scouting report is laughable. if you actually tell your kids just step inside the 3 pt line, your chances of making it is better that absolutely hilarious. Just because its closer. what great logic coach. did you see his %'s genius. that's making a living to you LOL foh

i couldn't careless if you were done or not. you're butthurt cause your bs was called out. and it will continue to be. its really no surprise to me how people like you want to act like you know wtf you're talking about when in reality its completely false

Nook likes this.
  11. donkeypunch

LOL. So did Eg make a living in the midrange or not? You brought it up pompously and then
    Lol. So butthurt...

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

apparently, cf's says if you're not a good midrange shooter and the %'s confirm it, that translates to making a living there. boy do the rockets have some sad followers.

Nook likes this.
  13. mastan

mastan Member

Kawhi also played hurt..Onunobi was also injured.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Leonard played 40 minutes a night.

Did Leonard miss game 3 and the last quarter plus of game 6? Even when Klay played, he was very banged up.

Kevin Durant played 10 minutes the entire series.

Looney was ruled OUT for the series and still played.

DeMarcus Cousins was playing on a quad injury that he would otherwise not have been available.

Let's not compare the injuries....

This is one of those rare NBA championships where we remember why a team lost (GS) more than the team that won the title.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Toronto had to beat the bucks, a very very good team. They might have been the only team that could contain them because of kiwi. They won because they are a champiOnshop team

Little Bit likes this.
  16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Donkey, ignore that guy...one of the worst posters on this site classic dunning-Kruger case. Only person I have on ignore.

You are correct, take a step from the 3 pt line while shooting 10 shots each step till you get to the rim. Your % will increase as you get closer and variance will go down..this is common sense. If anyone is interested in the scientific and physiological explanation , you recruit more motor units the more strength you need for something. The trade off is lack of precision/accuracy. That’s why are hands are constructed the way they are, designed to give us fine motor control. The only place you will find people arguing against basic human physiology is this place. It gets more complicated when you want to factor in an entire game, but as an isolated shot yes.

#56 LosPollosHermanos, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

EG did not make any living in the midrange before coming here, that is just false, and he also didn’t shoot threes only about 25% of the time, that’s another blatantly false statement

EG’s percentage of shots from 3 before coming here: 37, 41, 31, 29, 30, 32, 45, 53...also, keep in mind that he used to drive to the rim a lot more earlier in his career and was averaging anywhere from 4-7 fta per game

EG is a career 32% shooter from 10-16 feet, and a career 39% shooter from 16 ft to the 3 point line...he’s a career 37% shooter from deep...so he’s only slightly better from 16 ft to the 3 point line than he is behind the arc, and even then, those career midrange percentages are sh*tty

if u want more midrange shots, bring in guys who are actually good at them...u don’t have guys who aren’t that good at it start jacking them up

YOLO likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

LOL and you have idiots like @LosPollosHermanos agreeing with him. like i said in the other thread this site has a bunch of terrible posters. people that want to act like the best coach and everyone else is wrong. its sad

there should be a sub forum for those of us who can have actual logical discussions. it would weed out all the fake wanna be know it alls. but its now at the point of a guy can be bad in the midrange but he still needs to shoot the midrange according to cf's. Because that's the key to winning

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

It’s crazy to me that people will advocate for players to start doing things they’re clearly not good at or to try stuff that’s just not in their game.

U can be a good 3 point shooter and be trash from midrange since a lot more creation has to go into getting off a midrange shot on average if you’re not a big. EG isn’t gonna be getting spot ups from midrange like he does from behind the arc.

We have 2 guys who can consistently create their own midrange shot and hit it at an elite level in CP3 or respectable level in Harden. Guys like Kawhi, KD, CJ, Klay, etc are gods from midrange and take the majority of their team’s midrange shots. In addition to Kawhi, a team like Toronto also has bigs like Ibaka and Gasol who are proven shooters from midrange and so will take a decent amount of them. We have none of that. Morey needs to bring those players in.

YOLO likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

I absolutely have no clue how this doesn't make sense to anyone that actually follows the game. but apparently we do have those people here but they want to post and act like what they're saying is 100% correct. then they get all butthurt about being proven wrong. that's that annoying arm chair attitude that makes this board horrible at times.

nobody is arguing against a more balanced approach. but you need the players to do so. asking player to do something they're not good at makes 0 sense.

#60 YOLO, Jun 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    Reeko likes this.