1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Moreys Summer Goal? Bring CP3+Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jun 16, 2017.

1. bratna8

bratna8 Member

You would if it helps you land Anthony Davis

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Then you're not trading the 4th pick for Capela, you're trading it for AD.

So then it would be the Pelicans trading the 4th pick for Capela.

So once again, it's the 4th pick for Capela. I don't see it.

J Sizzle likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not to invade CarlHerrera's territory, but given how Harden's super-duper-uper max is set to kick in next season (I believe?), moving Capela's contract for depth makes sense for: Morey (given how CP3 can scarcely be moved elsewhere, unless that #4 pick were attached, maybe); and Tilman (who would save some luxury tax money and not have to worry about going to third-rate ingredients at Landry's or further reducing the portion sizes at Saltgrass).

4. ROXTXIA

Maybe there are future draft picks and/or other players involved. Lonzo, Ingram.

(I was wondering where were the "I CALL BULL****!" posters.) ;)

5. JayZ750

My point remains. If the Rockets are sending out Capela, and getting back the 4th pick, then that's the value out/value-in equation on both sides.

If the Pelicans also end up with Lonzo/Ingram, that's part of their bargain to move AD. Then the #4 can go their way, or they can divert it to another team, ala Rockets, for a player, ala Capela.

I'm not saying its impossible. Just I wouldn't do it. And if I did, and an option like Zach LaVine is on the board, I'm hoping on that way ahead of Capela.

And I like Capela. And think he'd actually be a really good fit on a NOP team with Zion, Jrue, Lonzo/Ingram/Kuzma. But at best, to me, that just makes them a worse lottery team next year.

And regardless of analyzing the specifics of it, again I'm just narrowing it down to value in, value out. Capela isn't worth the #4, imo. He might have been worth a top 3 protected pick that ended up being #4, but knowing exactly what it is, I don't see it. ONLY in a scenario where let's say the Celtics had the #4 this year, were going to get AD, going to resign Kyrie, Al was going out somehow and they had a hole at a center. In other words, a team in meaningful need at center to make a very strong playoff push that somehow also had the #4 pick.

lw17 likes this.
  6. ROXTXIA

That's just it, right there: I'm not sure where other teams value Capela. I hear whisperings that this isn't one of those really strong drafts but there are only so much LBJ-Wasted Detroit Pick-Carmelo-Wade-Bosh drafts, so it's tough to measure.

And Zach Lavine, not a bad player, but again, how good is he? Which is more a position of need for NOP (they have Holiday) once they ship out Davis? Do they finally just say, "Hell with it, the #4 pick is cheaper than those players Chicago and Houston are offering, we'll go that route"?

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Deuce and Vivi like this.
  8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

Pepperidge Farms remembers. :D

@Clutch: How about Hunter?
    @studogg: ...

;)

ickaruto and lw17 like this.
  9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

In this draft yes. The top 3 are set. Everyone else’s in this draft isn’t as highly touted. Not saying it’s bad because I think there are severa rotation worthy players but probably not transcendent talent. Last year everyone knew Ayton, bagley, doncic young jjj Bamba bridges Wendell were gonna be solid. A guy like hunter now is equivalent to bridges at 12 last year.

Also underselling Capela and his contract. He’s a premier rim eolling 5 that can actually switch and is young enough to keep developing. important to keep in mind Capelas contract is base 14 million. He didn’t hit his incentives so his cap hit is less than expected. I’d take on a guy like that in such a team friendly contract for the 4 in a weak draft

10. Garner

Garner Member

I would rather have Capela than the 4th pick. Y’all are nuts.

11. tc0330

tc0330 Member

id rather trade capela for the 4th, draft d hunter and sign a center with the MLE.

12. tc0330

tc0330 Member

also, itd be cool if there was an official "rumors" thread so i dont gotta go through ever random a$$ thread looking for @cyberx and @Codman lol

13. JayZ750

There are some contending teams that might agree with this. Contending teams don't have the 4th pick.

Rockets were a contending team. And most fans here would at this point move Capela for the 4th pick, be it to pick or trade. So not even all contending teams would do this.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Capela used to have good potential that would increase his value over his current performance level. After this season, the potential tag is off. He looks like he is close to his ceiling. He has not developed any form of a jumper after five seasons. His free throw shooting has improved only marginally from last season. While his per game production has increased because of increased minutes, his per minute production has actually dropped slightly.

At this point, he is pretty much a light weight DeAndre Jordan with a little better footwork but much worse strength under the basket. That is not bad. But would I trade him for a #4 pick? Probably, depending on what is available at that spot.

BamBam likes this.
  15. Garner

Garner Member

What is available at that spot is a kid you’re hoping is worth the contract Capela earned and will continue to earn.

The dude got pinker by a historically great team and everyone around here is trying to host a fire sale. It’s short sighted.

The team with the 4th pick hopes to get a Capela.