1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 NBA Finals: Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 25, 2019.

?

Golden State Warriors vs. Toronto Raptors

Poll closed May 30, 2019.
  1. Warriors in 4

8.9%
  2. Warriors in 5

28.3%
  3. Warriors in 6

25.6%
  4. Warriors in 7

3.3%
  5. Raptors in 7

24.4%
  6. Raptors in 6

8.3%
  7. Raptors in 5

0.6%
  8. Raptors in 4

0.6%
  1. Major

Major Member

Warriors were favored before the series started - and that was knowing they were without KD. Even after being up 3-1, the Raptors were only about 5:1 favorites to win the thing.

Compare that to 2016, when the heavily-favored 73-win Warriors were up 3-1 on Cleveland, with 2 games remaining at home.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But there are plenty of occasions when a coach calls timeout to stop a run by the other team. I do wonder if there are numbers that show the effectiveness of those timeouts.

From the subjective point of view for those who have played organized basketball, stopping the game when you are reeling does help you get some composure back.

3. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yep, this will always be the measuring stick, until a team comes back from an 0-3 deficit.

Yeah, no one is doubting the effectiveness of using a TO to stop the other team. It's like in boxing, where your fighter is getting beat up, so you're really hoping for the round to end before something catastrophic happens.

I'm sure that, if you were the dominating fighter, you want the round to go on forever - any stoppage will result in loss of momentum. I don't think you necessarily need numbers to prove anything, when human psychology is anecdotal enough.

If you press Kawhi on it, I'm sure he'd be pissed Nurse called that TO.

BaselineFade, hakeem94 and RyanB like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I still don't understand why Morey fired Adelman for *clap clap*-play-harder Kevin Mchale.

Sajan, cheke64, Jontro and 1 other person like this.
  6. JW86

JW86 Member

Control freak and Adelman wanted his own guys. Adelman’s track record and results was proof enough that the man had the best formula to win. Morey wanted his own guy which he could groom and push his theories. Ow the irony, since basically Adelman’s offense is perfect for what Morey envisions.

Easy, Jontro and cheke64 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be fair, Adelman was going to be very old much like MDA now or older, and his family member (wife maybe) had a serious illness.

Obviously McHale was not the best choice but he was a decent puppet for Morey and Alexander.

8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

McHale is an idiot and a good ole boy who will always get another job in the NBA no matter how badly he screwed up the last one. He helped bungle the Rockets 2011 draft when they passed on Kawhi once and Jimmy Butler twice. Morey deserves most of the blame for bringing him here in the first place.

Hakeemtheking, Jontro and vlaurelio like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

McHale has not had another coaching job since the Rockets.

#2569 daywalker02, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Toronto @ Golden State Marc Davis (#8) David Guthrie (#16) John Goble (#30) Eric Lewis (#42)

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Strangely enough we have hatred for DanAndToni . . .who has won more games in a season and got further than Adelman ever did

Rocket River
    I guess we will be hindsight on DanAndToni too

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, it’s his wife, who has had an on going illness that can cause seizures. Don’t know how she’s doing now. OK, I hope. His sons are involved in coaching. The biggest blow Coach Adelman suffered that I’m aware of was his son RJ being hit by a van in Houston and killed not that long ago. Having grown kids of my own, I can’t imagine anything worse.

He was a great coach with an amazing record during his career. I hated seeing him leave Houston, only to be replaced by a great former player who was/is (yeah, still no coaching job after Houston) a really lousy coach, McHale. One of the worst moves made in recent years by the organization. Inexplicable, in my opinion.

Looking forward to the Oakland/Toronto game, and hoping the Raptors close them out!

13. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

Highly likely in business sense, and officials were instructed not to give a tech to Green no matter what.

pippendagimp likes this.
  14. biina

biina Member

Dont think NBA wants to be in the discussion of a 'Raptors stimulus package' after the Cavs got one in 2016

15. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

He has not coached since Rox has he? Maybe he'll always have some type of TV job, but I think the league has taken note of his less than stellar Wolves and Rox coaching performances.

16. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Not sure who "control freak" is (Morey?) but I got the distinct impression that Les was no fan of Adelman either, at least toward the end. There was some interview with Les toward the end of Adelman's Rox tenure; some media type asked the owner if they would renew Rick, and Les said: "Rick who?"

17. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Is the Warriors winning again really the best story for the league, PR/ratings-wise, though? Isn't the "upstart" Toronto team finally slaying the dragon in seven games their best-case scenario after all the talk about the league being boring because the Warriors had ruined basketball with their "inevitable" title?

#2577 PlayBall, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Dang, the warriors just got a whiteboard material. Win one for Durant! I wonder how the north will be remembered, choker or winner? :D

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always wondered what Adelman would do with a player like Harden. His offensive philosophy was very different from MDA's. D'Antoni likes a dominant ball handler who can attack the basket. Adelman was the opposite. He liked movement and none of his PGs had high assist numbers because the passing was distributed to every player on the floor including the bigs. What we have now is the anti-Adelman style.

Sajan and Jontro like this.