1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pats file tampering charges

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You know what I think might be happening?...

The Patriots lose players and coaches constantly, right? But as long as Brady & Belichick stay, they can withstand that - I think in large part because Belichcik has a secret coaching sauce he doesn't share (he reportedly promised to share some of this with McDaniels if he agreed to stay, which means he likely usually has it under lock & key). Coaching is his bread and butter. Personnel-wise? I'm guessing he's good but that might not be so innate to him.

IOW, he probably leans heavier on his front office people than he does his coaches and players (minus Brady, obviously). And while he's lost front office people before - it hasn't been near as pervasive as players/coaches. Hell, Caserio has been there *19* years.

All of a sudden: Easterby is gone; Caserio wants out... These are guys who are probably a) more influential than any of the coaches; b) likely have some of that secret sauce that is more easily replicate-able elsewhere.

To me, this feels like the first unravel of the Patriots' dynasty. It won't collapse it by any means (again: Brady + Belichick) - but there absolutely seems to be a sense of panic with Caserio leaving. It's like he knows where all the bodies are buried. And who might he take with him? Is Ossenfort next? Who else does Belichick fear losing?...

I'd wager *this* is (probably) why Caserio's never been granted a GM title - they were, in a sense, hiding him, filtering it all through Belichcik. I bet that's why he was so paranoid about McDaniels leaving - knew he'd take Caserio (et al) with him.

Maybe this is waaaaay off - but if the Patriots are legitimately scrambling to keep this guy - it's starting to feel like the 4D chess everyone complains the Texans never play.

Rashmon, Red.Glare, zeeshan2 and 5 others like this.
  2. showa13

showa13 Member

I like the theory, although I just think it’s more simple in that they view Caserio as invaluable and don’t want to lose him, especially lose him for nothing.

I think this is a when more than an if, there’s nothing out there showing that Caserio doesn’t want this job.

Hey Now! and justtxyank like this.
  3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I want to believe.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think this is just about compensation for the Patriots. If Caserio wants to leave, he is pretty much gone. At least mentally. I don't see anyone performing at a high level where they are forced to stay. Patriots are just trying to squeeze something out of the Texans for someone who is already leaving. There is a small possibility they can convince him to stay by giving him more money or more responsibilities if that was the case they wouldn't be claiming tampering. They would just make the offer to him internally. But like I said, if he wants to leave...he's gone.

5. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

hes gone.. imagine having to come back to that work environment, when you know they filed tamper charges from a team that wanted you.
    i think hes gone for sure..

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I've read all this.

I still don't understand why the Texans are supposed to offer compensation? Did they tamper? I guess if they're offering compensation they're basically admitting they tampered, yes?

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

It could also mean they dont want to have to wait a bunch of time to get their new GM in the building. It's like "give me a 4th round pick or were going to drag this through court". I'm not saying this is what is happening; just a possibility

Hey Now! likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why can't the dude just accept the Texans job and move? I'm assuming they can still sue later.
    Or quit, then accept the job, and move?

Also, I'd have hoped for, at some point at least, a public proclamation, from the Texans. We'd like to hire this guy, we haven't tampered, we requested an interview, he wants to be here, its an upgrade in responsibility... Pats are just trying to be obstructionist.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Same reason why players can’t do the same, they’re under contract.

I think a statement like that would actually constitute tampering. It’s probably a thin red line but think teams have gotten in trouble for saying much less.

Hey Now! likes this.
  10. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Isn't that extortion?

11. Raven

Raven Member

That's exactly what NE is doing if it's true they are fishing for a pick. Their position is simple, give us a pick or be prepared to wait a long time for your new GM.

mikol13 and Hey Now! like this.
  12. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't think it is in the sense that they are not directly asking for a pick. It's like when you sue a big company and they convince you to settle out of court because you don't want a long drawn out court case.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think a simple explanation is that the Texans tampered.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  14. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

Kraft has done some “tampering “ himself and everyone knows it.

15. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

I hope so.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Why would he be loyal to the Texans?

17. Hey Now!

Ultimately, I agree. But I wonder if they'd taken the same approach with, say... Washington? Maybe, if the goal was compensation. But this feels like there's some panic. Easterby, Caserio - if the Texans target others... Houston is going after what sounds like a fairly internal brain trust.

18. Hey Now!

No. It means the Patriots are not bound by any time frame and can pursue multiple avenues to drag this out in the hopes it'll break the Texans' patience and they wind up offering a pick to make it all go away.

19. Nook

Nook Member

BB is extremely involved in the Pats draft and free agency. He has even talked about what he asks the scouts to do.

Doesn’t mean Caserio won’t be good for the Texans but the Patriots will go as far as BB goes. In a year or two everyone will want to hire whomever replaces Caserio in New England.

20. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Texans should leak the Bob Kraft rub n tug video.

#160 Jake Tower, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    houstonstime and Htown Legend like this.