1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Durant injury: did greedy Warriors ruin his career?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mastan, Jun 11, 2019.

1. biina

biina Member

I dont think the minutes mattered as much as the style of play e.g. the defense on van vleet and trying to take someone of the dribble. Such moves put more strain on his legs than just spotting up and making shots like he did earlier in the game.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You know what I think?

I think either Nike or the Warriors planted that story about teammates questioning Durant's injury when in reality no one in the locker room questioned it. They knew it would push him to try.

I think the Warriors are not stupid enough to actually pressure him in real life with some sweet talking.

I think Durant could have just decided not to play, and he has a team of agents, trainers and statisticians to advise him. Not to mention a teammate recovering from an achilles tear.

I think Durant will confirm that the organization didn't pressure him to play. He will have taken personal responsibility for playing before getting cleared.

I think the Warriors medical staff are very good if they were able to fix chronic problems with Curry's ankles and have this team be the healthiest team in the NBA over the past 5 years despite long playoff runs every year. It was not a mistake that they cleared him, and they would not have taken the responsibility for clearing him.

hakeem94 and BaselineFade like this.
  3. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I am thinking the way Stephen Curry has bad ankles, breaking his own ankles, having surgeries with screws and plates, it could've been his Achilles injury.

Jalen Rose said Kevin Durant calf injury is responsible for tearing his Achilles.

Plus Durant had a plate and screws on his foot, years ago, Jones fracture.

Ever since that female trainer left for the Warriors for the Hawks. The Warriors injuries are affecting their postseason.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

2x champion, 2x FMVP, 1x MVP, 10x AS, 4x scoring champ. And will probably get paid the max by some team out there.

If his career ended today and was forced to retire, I don't think he'll have any regrets. Honestly, I don't think he was forced to do anything. He probably felt healthy enough to come back and play some minutes. Just unfortunate that whatever happened, happened.

PlayBall likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This does not look good for GSW.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Report: Wow, I didn't know that.

Sajan and B-Bob like this.
  7. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

How come the warriors are not being cautious with Looney. Apparently they're going to let him play on Thursday. Just because it isn't an Achilles injury doesn't mean he should be playing. Have they not learned their lesson from this KD debacle?

8. gotsis

gotsis Member

Sadly, it really looks like this was the case. He went from not being able practice and making everyone confused about his status to suddenly being ready with no restrictions.

Bizzare turnaround. Obviously it bad luck has a play in it, but it was a high gamble by gsw and it backfired in the worst way possible.

The sad part is I feel Durant has no idea that he should hold the team accountable.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It all comes down to if he signs with GSW again or bolts somewhere else, but that team knows that he will miss a large chunk of the season.

I bet majority of NBA team medical staffs are 1. pro team and then 2. pro player.

In most cases their motives align but not always. It is not a Secret.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  10. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

I was just using the minutes as one example. No one on the medical staff told him to take it easy, to ease into the game, to limit his explosive moves. No one advised him to just space the floor and avoid unnecessary contact during the game. He came out with his hair on fire, doing dunks/dancing in warm ups and what not, just set up for a terrible situation.

amaru and B-Bob like this.
  11. KiLLiN

KiLLiN Member

I’m wondering if players will start looking more and more into “outside counsel” in terms of medical opinions. Ultimately what will come out of this is even more player empowerment by the players association. It’s extremely hard to believe the warriors front office didn’t have any sort of hidden agenda when it came to possibly skewing the medical clearance in their favor.

At the end of the day it’s extremely difficult to win a championship, and at the tail end of the dynasty the team will take what they can get: they’ll be around a lot longer than Durant will in the nba, and that’s a shitty way to look at it.

12. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

The good news for him is that he'll still get paid, at least.

Sajan likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019...fer-kevin-durant-unprecedented-long-term-deal

14. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Kerr and company busy throwing their head medical guy under the bus, in my opinion, like Kerr and Myers were innocent bystanders.

Kerr and several of his players acknowledged the shock and sadness that still exists within the organization following Durant's injury. Kerr specifically mentioned Rick Celebrini, the team's director of sports medicine and performance.

"So it's devastating, mostly for Kevin, obviously," Kerr said. "But I feel horribly for Rick Celebrini as well, who is one of the best people I've ever been around and one of the smartest, brightest minds that I've ever been around. He's devastated. Bob, the team, we all are. But we made the decision collaboratively with all the information that we had and we thought it was the right one."

www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26958458/durant-undergoes-surgery-ruptured-achilles

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Good catch, Deck. Yep, intentionally or not, Kerr is subtly putting the blame on the doctors who cleared KD. Never mind that some of us saw him limping just a week ago during warmups. Dude just wasn't ready.

Any reasonable persons, including fans, would not have faulted KD if he had decided he can't go. After all, he helped them into two championships.

Deckard likes this.
  17. delta69er

delta69er Member

Bob Meyers does remind me a little of Petyr Baelish...

Deckard, Zboy, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  18. mastan

mastan Member

#38 mastan, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  19. Sajan

Sajan Member

Is it just me that's seeing the irony?

Went ring chasing with a team, helped them to 2 more championships (while becoming a very disliked player among casual fans) and that team will now be the reason your career might be in jeopardy?

Space Ghost likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Report: Kevin Durant not happy with Warriors, believes he was misled in returning from injury

Kevin Durant is reportedly not happy with the Golden State Warriors.

According to Bleacher Report’s and Radio.com Sports’ Ric Bucher, Durant is upset with the Warriors because of how they misled him in returning from his right calf injury in the NBA Finals.

“What I’ve heard, through various places, is that he’s not really happy with how things went down because of the injury,” Bucher said, via Karl Buscheck of 95.7 The Game. “There’s an element of, ‘Was I misled as far as injuring myself coming back and playing and having a catastrophic injury like this coming off a calf strain?’

“We don’t know, definitively, exactly what was said, how much was said, how much he was aware of that, but I can tell you that people in the KD camp, people are running for cover because they don’t want to be holding the bag on who led him astray. Because the bottom line is, what Steve Kerr said, ‘We didn’t think he could get injured worse.’ If Steve Kerr was told that, I’m sure KD was told that. And now he’s looking at the prospect of not playing for, possibly, a year and having his free agency upended. I don’t see how that makes him happier with the Warriors than he was before.”