1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade our personnel minus Harden for Raptors personnel minus Kawhi and Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 8, 2019.

?

Would you trade ours for theirs?

1. Yes

83.9%
  2. No

16.1%
  1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

No Lin, no deal.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The point was, taking a great team to 6 or 7 games doesn't really prove anything. Rockets fans keep saying that we were good because we took the Warriors to whatever number of games. To me, we were clearly the inferior team even in last season's playoffs before Chris Paul's injury. We had to play flawless defense just to compete. And the flawless defense we played for four games or so tired out our legs to compete on the offensive side.

Just looking at the records is not enough. When you watch the games, you know which team needs to fight and claw its way to stay in the series, and which team just slips in a couple of games but they know they can still win at any point of the series.

JumpMan and Mr. Clutch like this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well, personally i agree we were the inferior team both last and this season, i'm not one of those guys who voted Rockets in 5/6 and now are b****ing cause we lost, asking to trade one guy and fired another bla bla, i had the Warriors in 6 or 7 in both the polls so, it's not like i expected us to win and i'm using the "we took them to 6 games etc" as an excuse, but to some degree i think it does prove we were competitive, we lost every game against the Warriors by like 4/5 points with CP3 being more like CP2 and Capela being useless for whatever reason. Also let's not forget about game 1, we win that one and the series might change big time so, the series was super close, actually more than a 4-2 tells

And i agree about not watching the records etc, that's exactly why i think the Warriors gave away one game to the Clippers, no disrespect to them, they've been the biggest surprise of the season all things considered, but that game 2 is more on the Warriors not taking them seriously enough.

Easy likes this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You did it for the sake of serenity on this board.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Our team is old and too damn small on the wings.

6. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I definitely would trade Morey and MDA firstly.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Think about the big picture. You're talking about a dynasty. Maybe you don't realize it while we're in it, but this is a dynasty.

8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You're preaching to the choir. We're the only team to have ever challenged Durant's Warriors. Their coach said this year we put the fear of god in them. We had them down 3-2 before Paul went down. I can't believe people can say with a straight face it's been anything other than a great swing we took at a clearly superior team.

Tfor3 likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ok but you know many years have dynasty. The 90s had the bulls. Then you had the Lakers. Then the spurs. The 80s had Lakers and Celtics.

A decent amount of the time you'll have a dynasty. Nobody is making that excuse for Malone and Barkley

10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Ok? So Curry, Lebron and Durant have not beaten any dynasties. Lebron has beaten the Warriors with 2 All Stars by his side and Kyrie Irving taking over when he was hunched over.

Your argument is essentially: Harden must be miraculous like Hakeem or Dirk, or he's not an elite franchise piece. This is an absurd expectation, and not meeting it is meaningless. All the players you place above Harden today have not won with less or the same. There are exactly 0 active players who can do what you're asking and you know it, which is why you ridiculously flubbed on whether Kawhi's personnel is better than Harden's.

Think about this for a moment, you're holding on to the idea that the board would pick the Raptors personnel because of the current situation. 83% pick the Raptors. That's staggering. How many people are stupider than me and you? You asked and two people got back to you with actual posts from earlier in the season - pre-Durant injury - that the Raptors are legit Finals contenders. The Raptors beat the Sixers and the Bucks - who have a historically elite SRS and #1 defense and #4 offense. Still, you dig your heels in. Have you asked yourself if you're even open to considering any information at all?

I really don't understand how you're making sense of this. Maybe you've just dug yourself in and feel like you can't step out of it now. What you expect of Harden doesn't exist. Kawhi or Lebron or Curry or Durant would also go cold or disappear for a few plays on this team and then hope Paul creates something out of nothing. They would be exhausted because MDA overplays EVERY KEY PLAYER HE'S EVER COACHED. We would not have the crisp ball movement you see from the Raptors or Warriors or Bucks or even the damn Spurs and Nuggets. They would not make Paul or Capela younger or better.

What do you want? Like seriously. Who do you want? You think if everything stays the same and we replace Harden with Kawhi, we're going to take down Durant's Warriors - which again no one has ever done? We'd win 1 more game? 2 more? And then what? What about when we come up against Harden's Raptors and Kawhi wants to guard Green instead of Harden and now you have Tucker guarding Siakam and Gordon guarding Harden and Capela out on the perimeter guarding Gasol?

Think it through man. We're all devastated by the losses. Harden is good enough to be the key piece on a title-winning team, even if he disappears at times. Star players disappear at times. Lebron, Curry, Durant, Kawhi. Do a small little search and you'll find heaps of games these guys went missing and lo and behold someone saved them or they lost. None of them did it Hakeem or Dirk style. Would be awesome if Harden did. But we don't need that to professionally assemble a team that can win it. That's not Harden's job. Harden's job is to score a lot, create and rebound and deflect, and stay solid defensively. Obviously we've learned he can't do it for 40 continuous minutes. That's an easy fix, and a fix that other teams have shown they can make.

He could have walked and won. The only reasonable explanation for why this MVP calibre LA kid is sticking around in Houston when he can shine the same anywhere is: he wants to win it here. That's a fan. Harden is one of us.

11. Mr. Clutch

Still on this raptors roster thing? Nobody would have swapped them before the playoffs. Only after the raptors getting to the finals does anyone vote that. That whole narrative is a joke.

So now dirk is miraculous? Dirk was great, but he was one of the lowest ranked stars to ever win a ring. Most guys who aren't as good as Dirk, guys like Barkley or ewing, haven't been good enough to lead teams to chips.

Harden isn't good enough unless he fixes his flaws like refusing move. He's the guard version of Ewing at best at this juncture

12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Let's just trade Harden then. Simple. No angst just a rebuild.

#92 TEXNIFICENT, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Dude open your eyes. You asked me, I showed you proof. You asked @justtxyank he showed you proof. We made a poll, 83% said they would NOW knowing what both teams have. It's blatantly obvious YOU would swap rosters.

Who do you want? Who is going to make this roster and this coach and this GM beat Durant's Warriors? Why haven't they done it then?

s3ts likes this.
  14. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Kyle Lowry is one heck of a basketball player. I've always missed him since we let him go, but I don't think he would have worked with Harden.

Ibaka has proven over the past few games to be better then Nene or Faried coming off the bench at C. I would also have to say the same thing about Gasol starting at C in comparison to Capela.

Raptors have done a great job putting the roster together. Let's hope they can close it out. I would LOVE if they could close it out in Game 6 in Oracle, but that's probably too much to ask for :)

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Siakam,Gasol, Ibaka, green and Van Vleet > our trash

16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Why? By excluding harden and Leonard the teams positions are now mismatched and unbalanced. It’s not that simple. If you traded 96 bulls except MJ to the 94 Knick’s will they be a great team? No different star position changes the whole strengths and weaknesses of the teams. Rockets would still have a hole at the 3 and a weaker PG while Toronto would have a hole at the 2 and a center who can’t shoot. So no it’s not that simple to say hey let’s swap teams excluding the stars. The reason why the stars are there is to have a team built around them to fill gaps and weaknesses so excluding them and filling in a star at a different position messes with the balance of the teams.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

There's no difference between a 2 and a 3 today. Actually Harden was our 3/4 this season (splitting defensive assignments with Tucker), Gordon was our 2.

It's a hypothetical btw. I'm sure we would be fine with Gasol, Ibaka, Siakam, Green, Lowry, Van Vleet. Every team has weaknesses. But there's no weakness there greater than your C being hopeless on offense and 3 of your starters being undersized.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No woman, no cry?

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Huh are we watching the same games? Harden never played 3 or 4 this year and I’ve watched nearly every rocket game this year lol. What do you mean there’s no difference lol. There’s still a gap at the 3 and for the raptors there’d be no 2. They’d have to start rivers lol. To me it’s unrealistic and trivial to come up with hypothetical scenarios like these since it just don’t make sense and fruitless. The issue is rockets lack of a true 3 and D 3 and limited scoring production from the 4 and 5 while maintaining a stagnant offense.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Or harden could move, control turnovers, play at a higher pace, show more consistent defense and get in better shape.

But you guys think he can't do that