1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not really sure what to say. His three point shooting by year, excluding his less than one game injury year, is:

47%, 35%, 42%, 30%, 26%, 35%, 39%, and 33% this year.

I'm not saying he's Kyle Korver or JJ Reddick... just a more than solid three point shooter. His last three healthy years in Utah, he shot 37% on three with 1,114 attempts. There's 44 players today shooting 36%+ on threes with over 4.3 a game. So not super rare, but also fairly hard to find.

If you've paid attention to the Celtics this year, you'll notice its a bit of feast or famine with Hayward. He has good games, great games, then a stretch of horrible games.

His FGA and minutes have varied widely along with that.

None of this is a function of his athleticism. His two most recent great games were against the 76ers and GSW... neither of which are teams that we would say are on their way out because of nonathletic players.

There's an argument to be made that post injury maybe Hayward won't become athletic enough again. I don't necessarily believe that, though. as I've noted, we've seen flashes. The next step will be consistency.

I still attribute if 50% to the Celtics in general. Brown, Tatum, Smart, Rozier... all having having difficult, inconsistent seasons. None of them had a horrific injury and certainly you wouldn't look at Brown or Tatum and say "not athletic enough!!"

2. amaru

amaru Member

I doubt the Rockets have any interest in Hayward unless he’s bought out (which isn’t happening)

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

IDK.... gambling on Hayward or Butler for 2019. The latter's skills are known but he's a huge d*ck and wants a big contract..

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The league average is usually between 35 and 36%. So he's a bit above average on above average volume in his best year. For his career he's 36.4%. For this season he's 33.6% and I don't know why we're ignoring his current season 3pt%. This should be the least affected part of his game. He's obviously not a Korver or Reddick, but he's also not a Gallinari or Middleton or a Bullock etc. He's above average. There's above average, then there's guys know for 3pt shooting, then there's the elite guys.

His game was opened up by getting to the line 6 times and passing off those drives. He certainly doesn't have that right now, and next season it will have been 3 years since he did that while athletic monsters continue to grow up at the wing spots. He's going to need to turn his game inside out to where his 3pt threat is what opens up drives for him. Banking on him regaining the athleticism to contend with starting NBA SF's in 2020 is not a good plan imo.

hakeem94 and Beardaholic13 like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not sure if posted

JoeBarelyCares, Richie_Rich and Vivi like this.
  6. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Al Horford for Capela and EG. That's a easy pass. Giving up 2 players for an older player no thanks. Mentions draft picks from celtics to us but draft picks mean nothing to me right now.

D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If that’s the proposal from the podcast yea no thanks. As much as Horford can help us he’s not worth both Clint and Gordon

Y2JT likes this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

The Celtics have multiple firsts. Throw in some of those....

Y2JT likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ainge first rounders.jpeg

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Horford and all their 1st rounders for Capela and Gordon would be something to consider imo, especially if we're unable to extend Gordon.

Horford will be in contract year next season, and should take way less going forward, probably a perfect fit here. Although he wouldn't make us a better rebounding team, he can shoot and pass.

But to make this deal i think we should be certain that with those picks or some of them we can somehow get a solid guard/forward signed on a fair contract, cause aside the fact that losing Gordon would really hurt our backcourt, we won't have salary to trade for a 20/30M player after moving Clint and Eric...unless we resign Shumpert to a big enough contract to use him in a trade later in the season.

EDIT: just heard to that part and they were more talking about a scenario where Horford opts out and resigns to get traded here, in that scenario we could be able to get it done by just moving Capela since Horford is not going to get more than 20/25M per season imo, but then again that would hardcap us.

#470 Vivi, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    joshuaao, tc0330 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ainge is stingy and will hoard all his picks. His offer is probably Horford and some low first rounder. Lol. There is no way I am trading two assets for Horford. We hardly have any and to give away two for one old player would be stupid.

mikol13 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

My biggest problem with the deal is that we wouldn't have any other middling contracts to make another move for a big-time player.

So even if we wanted to package the 3 picks Celtic picks, our own future 1st, with PJ and Nene, the largest salary we could take back would be like 15 mill or so. Not enough salary for an S&T Butler or anybody else really.

13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

for what horford and a 14th pick? lmao no thanks

14. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

That sounds like an awful deal. Why would we try and get older?

D-rock and J.R. like this.
  15. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

For Horford and Brown please.

Cant imagine Cs doing that though.

Would love love Jaylen on this team.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

No question dealing with Ainge is not going to be easy, but the Celtics are probably more desperate than us right now. I mean, we're b****ing a lot as a fanbase, but we have still one of the best teams i the league, while the Celtics have been the biggest disappointment of the season and are about to lose their best player. If they decide to build around their young core i can see Ainge be ok with a similar deal, assuming he likes Capela of course.

Regardless, like i said i wouldn't do it unless we can come out better with other moves.

#476 Vivi, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

i just feel like we can do better with suns or lakers or even atlanta

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

When thinking of how to improve, I definitely think of trading for injury prone Kevin Love or 33-year old Al Horford. And I'm definitely gonna trade two of my better assets in Gordon & Capela.

[​IMG]

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i miss being active on draft night.

Y2JT likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m already preparing my mind, body, and soul for another sh*tty offseason...hopefully Morey learned to keep quiet and not make any big proclamations like last summer

J.R. likes this.