1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Sportstalk 790) Brian T. Smith : "Only James Harden and PJ Tucker Safe From a Trade"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

i dont know if this is the truth or not coming from the organization, but this is how it should be.

Harden is one of the best players in the league and in his prime. You dont let him walk.

Tucker is the perfect role player and priced well as well.

You have to keep these two above all.

My next in line would be Gordon, depending on his next contract.

Every else should be available on the block for upgrade options.

2. Mr. Space City

Only thing I fear about PJ is that he’s played HARD minutes these past couple of years and he’s 34 years old. Eventually he’s gonna look like a 34 year old.

D-rock, Gray_Jay, saleem and 7 others like this.
  3. what

what Member

"Murray, we gonna make it."

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Why is this news? Even during Minnesota talks, many of us said that Tucker was not going to be part of any trade. Talks stopped.

However, I am not hearing the Rockets are "aggressively" shopping CP3. That's a bit exaggerated. He's being grouped into this "everyone but___" stuff because of the alleged heated conversation people saw/heard. I know that chemistry is a big deal in this group. Hence, the basically "no trade clause" for Tuck.

CP3 wasn't brought here to be a Durant type of player. He wasn't here to drop 40 a game. He had an off year, but his purpose is still very clear, and for what he does on the court that's in the statbox, and the stuff that's pure HOF intelligence, Morey knows that he'll never get the same value in return. Unless it's for depth or leads to a Killer, CP3 is still here.

You need 3 really good players to win it all in this league. CP3 is still one of those guys that helps you win (despite this shatty year). Logically, if you trade away a future HOF with arguably the best knowledge of the game, who can still ball at 18/8 a game, you're losing a solid piece that you needed in the first place... (that's just my 2 cents...and yes,I know that everyone has an opinion)

The piece of our core that's yielding the most interest is the big fella, and of course, EGO, which would be a devastating loss in this offense.

Don't give up on CP3 just yet. If you get James another offensive killer and have CP still leading things and changing his game a bit (long discussion), our team is stronger.

The Rockets are weaker without CP3. That guard spot is crucial, especially with James holding the ball most of the time.

Anyway, Tuck is here to stay, and if he were to be dealt, James Harden may really resent the organization for dealing his brother. A million times Worse than Derozan and Kyle Lowry...that's how bad it would be.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am afraid that he has to play 35 ppg and opponents are going to check the corner for his corner 3s. Hard labor.

saleem likes this.
  6. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Didn’t say anything like always

7. Game7

Game7 Member

Ironically this implies moving players.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@Codman, can you talk more about this? I am ready for that discussion. I think CP can still be really good for the Rockets. Just that at this stage of his career, he cant beat a ton of guys off the dribble on ISO. He can't be a poor mans Harden. CP needs to be aggressive with the elbow jumper. He needs to spot up and take those *catch and shoot* 3's. I think he can do that for a number of years and still be really effective.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Yep, offseason is for ticket renewals.

10. basketballholic

The bottom line with cp3 is he's here unless HE wants out. But if he wants out....... he's gone. And he'll know where he's going when he decides he wants out.

And it's the same with Harden.

Vivi and Stormy1234 like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

I’d at least try to see what people would give for Harden. I don’t really care about anybody, only Tucker really has my respect and is the only player I really love on this team. GG as well, but he should never be part of a regular rotation.

PlayBall likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Yep CP should be able to still help with ball handling (with better coaching) and there isn't much of a market for a 34-year-old PG on a long contract with an extensive injury history. Paul will be a Rocket until at least the last year of his contract. As far as Paul having an off year.........I don't think it was an off year as much as it was the beginning of the end for his career. But hey I'd love to eat crow!

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I can think CP3 will either do well in the regular season or in the playoffs barring injuries. I dun think he has any more left in the tank to do well in both - 80 games and postseason.

You have to watch his playing time too.

14. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Why is ANYONE safe from trades? I agree it's just about impossible to trade Harden, but if somebody actually made an offer that would improve the team, wouldn't you take it??

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If you’re going to win a ring, you can’t do it without a player like tuck...you just can’t. His intangibles are greater than battiers ever were. They would never get equal value as well, glad he’s untouchable

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Except Austin Rivers

18. BeardNation13

BeardNation13 Member

Can you add Morey to the pic? We need to clean house starting atop

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

20. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Wonder how Kevin Durant's injury last night impacts Rockets off season plans. By my calculation, there are only two true difference-making stars available in free agency (Durant and Kawhi) and one available through trade (Anthony Davis). We'll find out more today, but speculation is Durant has an achilles tear, an injury that takes at least the better part of a year to return from and my bet is Team Durant will not rush back this time. Probably means Durant signs his player option to remain in Golden State. If not, whatever team signs him does so knowing he won't be available until the playoffs at the earliest. Rockets probably weren't getting any additions of the caliber of these three players anyway. I'm in the camp that believes "moving heaven and earth", as one report described what the Rockets would do to get a player the caliber of Kawhi, is only worth it to create cap space in the event that you know you can get a Kahwi, Durant, Davis, now removing Durant from the conversation of course, the most plausible target of these (3) unlikely acquisitions. I wouldn't go so far as to say Durant's injury means no current Rockets will be traded, but I think whatever sliver of a chance the Rockets had for a contender morphing splash off season move just got even narrower than it already was. I don't expect Chris Paul to be moved now. Capela still on the table.