1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans fire GM Brian Gaine

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaBeard, Jun 7, 2019.

1. plee

plee Member

Seems to me that either OB is aggressive (wanting Williams/Peterson, etc...) or "build" through the draft guy. From the lack of movement this off season it seems that Gaine was "build" through the draft. So if OB is all in, we should see moves once the GM is hired, right? If not, then this is a dumpster fire...

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is crazy! I was sitting in my rental car after getting the home I'm buying here inspected and wow I come in town for 2 days and Texans make a big move.

Personally, I'd like us to hire someone who is more aggressive. Gaine was solid, but in a milktoast kind of way. He pulled a few rabbits out of his hat in the 2018 draft that gave me some hope, but he consistently has played it safe in FA and trades. This year's draft is certainly a wild card still, but we haven't signed or drafted a game changer for the OL and that is a mistake. Trent Williams should be new or interim GM focus. If healthy, he's the kind of vet who can lock down LT for 3-4 years. #2 should be resolving Clowney's situation and I'm leaning to signing him for 4 years. Those two moves would solidify the defense and bring a star vet to OL that is so badly needed. If we could swing another trade for a CB like Peterson on the cheap, I'd be ecstatic about that.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nimo and Nook like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I’m not sure why some people cannot see BOB is and has been running the show. If BOB wanted to spend in free agency, we would have. BOB got a little pressure about the lack of free agent signings and the embarrassing draft... and he responded by throwing his hand picked GM under the bus.

BOB will pick the next GM and it will be someone that does what BOB wants. So no quality candidates will want the job, especially with BOB having a history of running over his own GMs.

J.R. likes this.
  5. Texanstradamus

O’Brien is on the hot seat too if the Texans suck this year he is gone that’s what this move says to me they fired gaine out the blue why wouldn’t they do the same to O’Brien ?

6. Nook

Nook Member

BOB will have thrown two GM’s under the bus and be working on a third one. If BOB has so much heat, he wouldn’t have a significant say in who the next GM is.... yet we have BOB and the team reverend (!!!) having major input in who the GM will be. That doesn’t sound like a coach in trouble to me. It sounds like a coach that can basically do whatever the hell he wants and blame the GM.

J.R. likes this.
  7. tc0330

tc0330 Member

this needed to be done man. we are in a unique spot with our players and situation that needs big changes fast in order to advance. he did not execute when given the opportunities. hope we get someone that has some balls now

8. raining threes

Dysfunctional org.

Nook likes this.
  9. raining threes

I think Gaine got caught diddling his secretary

No Worries and Nook like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

When the news first broke someone that would know, immediately said he was known for being inappropriate with women on staff, going back to before he was GM and that an employee filed a complaint. I posted it on here but I can’t vouch for what I was told and there have been zero reports of him getting in trouble for harassment.
    So at this point IDK. I didn’t press it, just listened to what I was told from an employee. According to them the decision to terminate was kept very tightly under wraps until it happened.

raining threes and No Worries like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Has BOB executed, or has he not had sufficient opportunities?

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Assistant coaches evaluated the draft picks and got to see them up close ....not enough improvement for the O-line...

13. blackistan

blackistan Member

BOB should've been fired too

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

If Cal really wanted to make a statement, then he should’ve signed Kareem hunt.

raining threes likes this.
  15. plee

plee Member

Interesting if true... I would think you couldn't keep it "quiet" this long..

raining threes and Nook like this.
  16. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

BOB picked him off because he didn't get the way he wanted. The ex-GM and BOB won't be going out for dinner soon.

Watch after draft conference, the GM barely looked at BOB. And BOB looked at GM with almost like why are you here?!?!?!?

#236 bloodwings19, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Setting up for Rick Smiths return? Fingers crossed.

raining threes likes this.
  18. Texanstradamus

I think the firing outs everyone on notice including Bill O’Brien

19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Can't believe they would fire their GM if they are really going after Williams. Guess we can kiss that one goodbye.

20. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

So are there examples that former New England front office people are any more successful becoming other team's GMs as there are examples of former New England assistant coaches becoming successful at becoming other team's head coaches? Seems unless you are getting Belichick you are better off looking elsewhere at teams that seem well run (Rams? Vikings? Steelers? Chargers?).

red5rocket and conquistador#11 like this.