1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Side of the Ring

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by biff17, May 28, 2019.

1. biff17

biff17 Member

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

havent paid attention to wrestling since the 80's, but this show is great. ive seen them all. von erichs story was the saddest. almost feels like that family is cursed or something.

macho man one is great too - you get to see a side of him that you didnt know existed.

mikol13 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  3. biff17

biff17 Member

Yeah that von erichs episode was very sad, the part when he stole the shotgun and what the owner said have me chills.

The Moolah episode was a WTF eye opener.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The Moolah stuff only came out fairly recently, after she died. What a ****ing sociopath. I've heard all the other stories before except for Gino, but if these are done well I'm sure I'll still enjoy watching them rather than just reading about it.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I remember watching Pepper Gomez battle Wild Bull Curry in the 1960's with my grandmother, who was a wrestling fanatic. Paul Bosch, the impresario, used to jog in our neighborhood.

6. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I've only seen the Macho Man episode so far, it was great, Hogan was saying some of the stuff wasn't true, yet the producers called him out that they reached out to interview for the show and he declined

Need to see Montreal Screw Job episode, along with the rest of the season

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

The ones I've watched are great. I knew nothing about the Brody situation.

I asked it in the WWF thread when I brought these up, but does anybody remember the Jake the Snake documentary from several years ago? The Von Erich one reminded me of it. It's great but crushingly depressing.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ve watched them all and totally dig the insight. The Brody episode may be my favorite, but I like them all.

There are countless stories that need to be told, hope they keep going.

9. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

I've heard good things about it, never got around to it, but routinely see it on either Amazon Prime or Netflix, I'll have to catch it along with the HBO Andre the Giant documentary.

Fwiw, I know that they are WWE produced, but some of their biography Blu-Rays/DVDs are fantastic, I've bought the Razor Ramon and Kevin Owens one the past few years and can't praise them enough. Scott Hall went through some dark times with his drinking issues, happy that DDP basically saved his life with his Yoga program. Was lucky to meet Hall a few times, guy is approachable and talkative, so happy that I got to chat with him

Also, if you ever get a chance of the WWE Network stuff, the Monday Night Wars series they had was fantastic, even though I have them through WWE Network, I still bought the BluRays since it was that good.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I don't think I've watched any of these, but if the Bruiser Brody/von Erich stuff is just about how they died and the behind-the-scenes stuff that led to it, that was about when I realized how "real" wrestling was. I remember watching Brody as a kid and always wondered what happened to him and when I found out about his demise years ago, I was like "wth? seriously?". The von Erichs were just as bad because an entire family was basically destroyed by their inner demons. Then you start hearing about the Jake the Snakes, Elizabeths, Lex Lugers, etc. and you realize what a cluster wrestling was and probably still is. You guys should look up stuff like the Arn Anderson/Sid Vicious drunken stabbings and some of the stories about Meng/Haku ... there are movies that aren't as crazy as some of the stuff these guys got themselves into.

Then go look up the stories about Andre the Giant and his thumb ... and that one time he "lost it" on Bad News Brown .... make sure you're eating dinner when you read it (because I hate you all... lol). It'll give new meaning to "Dark Side of the Moon". :D

mikol13 likes this.
  11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Is Viceland available through Hulu subscription or what? How are ya'll watching these?

12. biff17

biff17 Member

I think it's available on Hulu.

If you click on the link and on episode it ask what service you want to view it on.

I watched it on DTV.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just checked Youtube and there are at least a few of them on there

14. body slam

body slam Member

I thought the Gino episode was really good.

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I think I read that they've got most of an episode on Dino Bravo already done, and they're planning on doing Chris Benoit next season, too. Of other possibilities, I think an episode on the Mass Transit incident could be interesting, or maybe just a whole episode about New Jack, including his bounty hunting career (3 justifiable homicides, supposedly), one on Jake the Snake and his dad, maybe one on Mitsuharu Misawa's death...

mikol13 likes this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I grew up in Houston and remember watching his beginning as a wrestler on Houston Wrestling with Paul Boesh. He truly was made for professional wrestling. I remember the day they found Gino Hernandez's body. His townhouse was at the corner of Prestton Road and Lovers Lane. I think about him everytime I pass by there. I recall watching them remove his body on TV. It was all just so surreal. In the ring he'd recently split up with Chris Adams and was looking become even more popular. As an aside, Gino was buried with his American Express Gold card.

17. SuraGotMadHops

Some ideas for a new season:

- Dino Bravo murder and Chris Benoit, as mentioned already

- Jimmy Snuka murder charge that wasn't, then the charge that was 30 years later

- Plane Ride from Hell

- Scott Hall murder charge in the 80s

-Owen Hart tragedy - but I don't think they will get the permissions they need to make a thorough episode, Martha Hart says no to everybody and I can't really blame her if she's still grieving. They could still do an episode just based on everyone's accounts of what happened, but it wouldnt be the same without clips of Owen throughout his career

- Chris Candido's one sided relationsip with Sunny and untimely death

- The Renegade suicide after the Warrior ripoff gimmick they gave him flopped

-Vince McMahon steroid scandal in the early 90s

-Chyna

- The Clique and their adverse impact on other wrestler's careers

- Magnum TA's car accident and the long term effect it had on the trajectory of the business

- Ludvig Borga and his corrupt career in politics and eventual suicide

- Anoai family deaths - Umaga, Yokozuna, and Rosey

- Herb Abrams and the UWF

18. body slam

body slam Member

Wasn't there something about SWCW out of San Antonio and the owner after Blanchard?

19. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

My favorites are macho man, and Gino Hernandez.

I don’t watch it live, but on demand through the cable service.

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

On again.

Starting story Chris Benoit.