1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lawn mower recommendations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RV6, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

So it will go out the back- at what velocity? Use the 'Normal - Black Beans - Chipotle' scale. I can work with that.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think I've only used it once but the back door curves and shoots down so it won't be shooting at your feet or anything. If I had to guess at a bowl with black beans, chicken, med salsa, cheese and sour cream rate.

3. likestohypeguy

Yeah for only $150 to $200 can just accept that it's kind of a disposable mower, that works when it's still new. I used to do exactly that, went through a few craftsman and murray mowers, until I splurged on a hrx217-hya several years back. Price is ridiculous for a 21", but it's no longer about the math to me, where for the price of that honda, how many walmart mowers can I buy X how many seasons each last. I don't care how long it ends up lasting, if it something happened to it today I would replace it with the same. I've found it completely worth the price for quality of cut, still starts on one pull, and ergonomics- it is the most comfortable mower I've ever used, taller handle (am tall, don't have to bend at all to lift and turn), no wobble to anything, all the controls/speed changing is smooth, powerful climbing and cutting (and they've since increased my model's engine from 190cc to 200cc!), and it's also the quietest gas mower I've ever used. Maybe in part because the "nexite" (plastic) deck, IDK. ONly thing is I wished it mowed higher than 4", but for 5" capability have to spend $2000 or more, not quite there yet.

BTW saw this one in costco for $350 today, if you put a lot of value in costco's protection. Even then I think I'd spend $30 more for the all honda hrr216, with the same engine for $380 rn at home depot.

With all this rain we're going to be mowing in gold diapers this weekend!

[​IMG]

Lurch likes this.
  4. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Doesn't really matter what brand to me personally. Just remember to change the oil with half a quart every 25 hrs of use and check for anything loose. Remember to unplug your spark plug before working under deck.

Nook and B-Bob like this.
  5. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I personally have a craftsmen with a Honda motor. My dad gave it to me almost 10 years ago, and I don't think it was new when he got it.

I've gone back and forth between mowing myself and having someone else do it. Pretty recently I was "off" of mowing for about 3 years. Decided I didn't feel like wasting the money, and went to check on ol' trusty. Started right up, no issues. So, I just say anything with a Honda motor.

Blatz likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The gas needs to be changed out on something thats been sitting that long.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Yup. And probably a good idea to change the fuel filter. I rarely filled the tank more than I expected to run the mower since the cheap gas tends to go bad faster nowadays.

8. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

The last time I used it, I ran it until it was dry.

donkeypunch likes this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Please don't mow yourself. It's an awful way to go out, for one, but there has to be another path. :(

K LoLo likes this.
  10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

B-Bob as Marky Mark watching K LoLo with concern.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

you can buy ethanol free fuel that doesn't need to be drained or treated year after year. It's a little more expensive but unless you mow football fields it isn't that much. fwiw I went with an 80v Kobalt self propelled (manufactured by Greenworks) and will never go back. The batteries charge as fast as they drain so you can get away with 2 batteries for any size yard. I also like the fact I can mow in the early AM when it's cool outside and not bother the neighbors.

Nook likes this.
  12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

RIP ol' trusty - trying to see if it can be repaired for cheap, but might end up in the market.

Anyone actually go electric and like it? Friend of mine has a Ryobi and says it does a good job. Are we there yet?

What would it take to make you seriously consider an electric mower?

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I went battery powered everything and I'll never go back.

Although tbh right now I'm using a service. Too damn busy. But I should be back to doing it myself in March.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Terrible movie.. It set virtual reality back by at least two decades.

Nook likes this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

I would have been a skeptic in the past, but bought my mom a battery powered chainsaw a couple of years ago and we both love that thing. Have been thinking about getting her a mower for her yard.

16. donkeypunch

Or you could mow it for her and not be, ya know.... an *******.....

Electric yard equipment also gets a yes from me.

17. Buck Turgidson

This is what I do.

She likes yardwork but doesn't like gas powered engines (mainly the choke/start process).

Nook likes this.
  18. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

I was hesitant about going battery powered mower, but bit the bullet and love it/ I pickled the 80Volt Kobolt from Lowes as it had a great sale and a military discount got it down to about $400. Thing can mow my entire yard with only using 1 square of the battery light. (not a big yard) What I like most is how quiet it is, I can listen to my earbuds while I mow without the loud noise smoke ect. I recently picked up the weed whacker for it but was disappointed to find that it wasn't the same battery as the mower. Ryobi I seriously considered but the cost of the battery really brought the price up several hundred over the Kobalt. Leaf Blower is the next on the list.

19. donkeypunch

Mow her lawn or be an *******?

20. Buck Turgidson

Both, just not at the same time.

donkeypunch likes this.