1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin to be bought out by Hawks, sign with Toronto

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by batkins, Feb 11, 2019.

1. adoo

adoo Member

Cursed was the day when Morey opted to
    • not to re-sign Goran Dragic, a young & proven pg w the Rox for ~ 2 yr
    • sign Lin to a poisoned pill FA contract
      • w the rationalization / spin that Lin, whose resume was only a great 3-week run w the NYK,
        • put Lin in the pantheon of great NBA ballers like Iverson, CP3 and LBJ

you are just too afraid of holding Morey accountable for this stupid decision

~ 2 yrs later, Morey compounded his mistake by bribing the Lakers w a 1st & 2nd pick to take on the last yr of Lin's contract

#601 adoo, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  2. yoeddy

yoeddy Contributing Member

Thanks...one of my favorite books! It’s Atticus, btw...

3. yoeddy

24 second shot clock violation is considered a team turnover, not individual.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lin fans don’t know math
    If they did they know that Patrick Beverly is significantly better than Lin

Codman likes this.
  5. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

With all love, I fully expected you to be the first to jump out of the NBA Dish woodwork to defend Jeremy Lin, and I anticipated the same responses. I'm just missing the "I promise I'm a Rockets fan, but I just happen to love Jeremy more." If only you had the decency to love YAO or the current Rockets in the same manner.

To answer both of your posts: You simply cannot admit that your favorite player's errors were so significant to that series. Even the players were quoted, without downright naming JL, that specific mistakes cost specific games. You want Lin's massive rotten egg to be forgotten, but if you were a ROCKETS fan first and foremost, you could admit that Jeremy Lin was a major reason for us losing that series to Portland. You would also admit the damage of that series loss, in the sense that James and Dwight were personally happy as teammates AND they had the potential as a duo to go to the WCF or further. Dwight was great that year and we had a great 3rd option in Chandler Parsons. Jeremy didn't like being the 5th or 8th wheel, and it was shown in his play, especially when he felt like HE was the guy to make game-costing decisions. He didn't accept his role, and while he may have been respectful to McHale and his teammates, his passive-aggressive quotes about playing (look em up) were evidence that he still thought he was "the man." And "the man" was a fun time in NY that was largely a streak...not ability.

You also questioned what I meant by PBev being a "real" point guard. That could easily take 30 pages.... Do we talk about how "real" it means for a point guard to get nominations for ALL-NBA Defense by his peers, the media, etc? Jeremy Lin on defense....nah, let's not focus on something I can't find. :)

Pat Beverly is a "real" point guard in a way that Jeremy Lin could never be. By the word real, I mean it in every context of a point guard with actual NBA ability that's everlasting, and not just a series of 20 games like Lin (Sure, go dig up some great games from each team he's been on, but you'll be missing the point, perhaps because you haven't played. I don;t know that though) . Pat Bev can facilitate the court and guide players to set up shooters. He can SHOOT from any area of the court. He knows NOT to jump in the air and try to make a pass without first LOOKING at his personnel. As witnessed by ROCKETS fans, Pat Beverly knows how to give the ball to a superstar like James Harden, when the game is on the line. He also has the capacity to take and make a big shot, when said superstar is double teamed and has to make a final pass. Pat Beverly is a real point guard in the sense of a LEADER. He exudes confidence, perseverance and the grit to battle any guard on the opposition. As evidenced in Houston and in LAC, he was considered the "glue" of each team. He lead with his HEART and unlike Lin, Pat Beverly would make his mark on defense to help win games, especially when his shot was not falling. Unlike Jeremy Lin, Pat Beverly sought to make players around him BETTER, even if it meant sacrificing his own stats. Please refer to the 2 guards of the future in LAC: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander and Landry Shamet. Also, read their own quotes about Pat's leadership as a guard in teaching both of them how to be successful players in the league. Pat Beverly was REAL in his ability to pay it forward and he was REAL by accepting a trade out of Houston, understanding that it was all love and respecting the Rockets' decision for CP3, but also giving him a chance to lead. Pat Bev was REAL. Jeremy Lin can only spell the word.

Jeremy didn't understand that his role was to NOT make superstar decisions in the final moments of games. That lay-up? Only a Kobe, Harden, Dirk, LeBron goes for that. Jeremy wanted accolades, blew the layup....and then....and then....blew it on defense in the same sequence. Nic Batum and Mo Will looked like Jordan and Pippen when Lin messed it all up.

Did other Rockets play poorly in that series? Yes. Did James mess up? Yes? Did Dwight? Parsons? Yup. But, no other Rocket tried to be a closer like James Harden because we had James Harden. Jeremy Lin called his own play, which was NOT in the game plan and rocked the series.

(REAL) NBA Point Guard Ball Protection 101: When you get a crucial rebound, you don't dribble it to the sideline towards a trap, nor do you turn your head as to impact your vision of opposing players around you. It is expected, as a point guard, to protect the ball at all costs, and if needed, call a time out or pass it to your franchise player. Do not turn the ball over in a series-deciding moment. And, don't expect your franchise player(s) to ever trust you in crunch time again. (That happened, btw)

All players make costly mistakes. Devastating ones...James Harden mistakes that make you hurt.

But only certain players....like Jeremy Lin...have fans who cannot see that even their favorite player is average at best.

It's all love, when you're a Rockets fan.

6. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Nice post. I like the timeline and fairly calling me out. But, I'm not a Morey apologist at all. Some moves baffle me, others make me admire his vision. Never did I imagine Clint Capela would catch a lob after the years of watching him struggle to catch a simple pass. And, I always admit...I was so, so wrong about Kyle Lowry. I was adamant that Aaron Brooks was the better overall player (to my defense, he was better for our team at the time ;) )

I agree that Morey made a mistake in Lin, but I also think it wasn't purely a basketball move. It was financially motivated by a valuable fan base. Ownership needed some excitement, and I think they thought they were going to get Yao-like offers. Lin was never going to be Yao...he wasn't going to even be Brent Price.

Also, to be fair, Goran didn't want us. Allegedly, he didn't want to play with a certain guy and a certain coach.

I hold Morey accountable for his errors. He's made plenty. But, for all of his errors and strike outs, he's made the Rockets one of the winningest NBA teams over the last God knows how many years. He delivered James Harden. To me, that's a lifetime move. Morey gave up a bunch of role players, aside from Kmart, for a 6th man with potential. Morey saw more potential in James than most...and did you really think Harden would be this good? I don't think many would have wagered on that one. Again, for that, Morey gets a pass on the Lin debacle. (Writing that name is disgusting still)

I blame Morey for not locking in DMO earlier on, before he was a hot mess. He could have been a good player.

I blame Morey for not getting Melo in time the first time before OKC. He low-balled too many times and NY stopped dealing with us. I found this out later after being told Melo to Houston was all but done within maybe 48 hours of OKC's offer. We dodged a bullet, I guess.

Morey made errors is Ennis, but again, that wasn't a Morey move. Every coaching staff has players they look for when they assemble their coaching foci. With the blessing of CP and Tuck, Ennis was a pick from one of our ACs. Morey got him for cheap, and Mike looked and sounded like he had the better option of Trev/Luc.

I blame Morey for MCW, and I think Morey could have recruited Lowry better. Again, while it sounds like an excuse, Lowry had bitterness because of McHale. Yuck.

I give Morey a "pass" for the Ryan Anderson trade. We eventually got rid of Knight but lost a good rook. I blame MDA for not tweaking the offense. I still think Ryan would have been great here, but we slowed his game down and made him into a predictable Matt Bullard.

I blame Morey for not acting early enough (apparently) to acquire depth this year. We had a current Clipper, a Piston and one-to-two Miami boys ready to come play.

Some blame Morey for not getting Jimmy Butler. I don't . Miiny wanted picks, EGO and TUCK. I think Morey made a better choice to back out. EGO is the most underrated shooter and SG in the league to me...and could average 29 a game elsewhere. Giving up Tuck would have destroyed our lacking defense AND Morey knows that James and PJ are brothers. Trading all of that away...I can't imagine how our team would have turned out this year.

There's a lot to go on...Morey's transactions are of so many....

But good post, and thanks for calling me out on what you believed to be a Morey apologist. :)

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Close your eyes and remember a time where it was only Rockets fans on a Rockets board

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Excellent post, as usual, Cod.

tinman likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Signing Lin, signing Anderson to that contract, going after Melo all those years and then finally getting him this year...

Morey, as smart as he is, has some bizarre mistakes on his resume

tinman likes this.
  10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Another fabulous post.

There were many reasons why Airemy is glued to the bench nowadays but one of the main one is that in his mind, and his fans minds, he is a much better player than he really is.

He refused to understand his limitations as a player. He kept chasing glory as a starter and he had to learn the hard way that he is just not good enough.

Airemy fans love pulling the race card but the irony here is that if Airemy wasnt Asian, he would have been irrelevant a lot sooner than he has been.

#610 Zboy, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    tinman likes this.
  11. Bigdaddy210121

I love Harden,, he is a top 3 player in the league, but with that said... he also is a ball stop..dribble for 20 seconds and force something ISO player style. i say trade Harden and see what you can get with a true team style...this version of the Rockets is Harden and some other guys....not a team working together to win, last 5 years.....we got what...congrats for nothing......Harden is this generation's greatest scoring player but..when you really ask your self...will we win the title with him....tell yourself the truth.... basketball is team sport

12. foh

foh Member

I personally would love to see someone on the team say "I'm playing for James Harden and his legacy" the way Andre Iguodala said about Curry the other day. Doesn't seem likely as we churn through players and there is no cohesive core with everyone (besides Harden) up on the trading block.

We have a trade-trigger happy GM and fans who write pages long posts about a single ex-player (5 years removed), brought here to make plays and provide exciting basketball for all the fans to enjoy, as if this player is the single most cause of all our woes.

It might be a long wait before that type of long-term chemistry will appear.

freemaniam likes this.
  13. yoeddy

lol! You are obsessed. Am totally not interested in rehashing all of this all over again. I'll briefly just say that I've admitted many times that Jeremy made costly mistakes in the Portland series...but that he was not the only one, and that blaming the entire series on him (a backup PG on the team) is simply ridiculous. Dwight Howard was the only Rocket in that series that consistently played well.

And fwiw, Pat doesn't even really play PG in the league... He's a quality defender and catch-and-shoot guy whose most memorable moment in the NBA was knocking knees with Russell Westbrook.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lin wasn't a Morey move, it's a $$$ move. IIRC Les Alexander called Morey and almost fired him for cutting Lin when Linsanity happened, it should be obvious he was also obtained at the owner's mandate. Given the fact that Morey cut him in the first place and gave up picks to get rid of him everybody who blames Morey for Lin just dont get the full story.

Scruberson is an aberation, no amount of stats can predict a guy who averaged 16 ppg as the lone perimeter threat in a half court offense will become scared to shoot in a fast paced 3 pt happy MDA offense.

Everybody knew 18M was overpayment for Scruberson but his stats actually went down the moment he was supposed to get unleashed. It's like somebody losing 5 pounds after you took him to an all you can eat steak and lobster buffet. Some people just defy common sense hence why the Scrub is about to be out of a job despite being only 31 yrs old in a league that is desperately looking for his skillset.

Melo though...no excuse for that one. Have 0 clue why Morey had this fixation with Mr. Midrange all these years.

tinman likes this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

yet, Morey likened Lin (despite his thin resume) to Iverson, CP3 and LBJ.
    he was insulting the intelligence of of the Rox fans

IIRC, the young proven PG wanted a 4th year, but Rox balked at that

Imagine how the Rox'd fared,
    had Morey re-signed Goran, and they didn't have to give up a 1st and 2nd​

16. ReturnOfTheMac

Bro no one gives a **** about Jeremy Lin get tf outta clutchfans bum boy, go watch the spelling bee or something you fake ass rocket fan

17. yoeddy

If no one cares about Lin here, why is there so many people posting about him here? I'm only responding to other peoples' posts, and only a few of those posts quite frankly. I've been spending more of my time in the Warriors vs. Raptors thread and Nets threads here. And I'm not a "fake ass rocket fan". I'm a Brooklyn Nets fan.

18. ReturnOfTheMac

We keep talking about him because he's garbage af. He doesnt deserve to be in the league. I'm Asian too, and I can say Jeremy Lin is straight ass

tinman likes this.
  19. yoeddy

Your being Asian has nothing to do with whether or not Jeremy is a quality NBA player. I agree that since he has been with the Raptors, he has been terrible (and essentially played his way out of a significant playoff spot despite Nurse giving him every opportunity to earn a role). But how he has played with the Raptors is a big drop compared to how he played overall in his career, and when given the right opportunities (eg. Knicks with D'Antoni, Hornets, Nets, even Atlanta), he is a credible NBA PG. Even in his time with the Rockets, he played credibly as a starter and as a backup PG. Mistakes in the Rockets/Blazers series? Yes...every young player makes them, and certainly not the only reason (or even the main reason) why the Rockets lost that series.

I am tired of all the rehashing you guys like to do about Lin and how he played 7 years ago. Am interested in how he is doing now and what his future might look like in the NBA. I get it...you all blame him for losing the Portland series. That is in the past.

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  20. ReturnOfTheMac

What are you his mother defending him like that lol? Or you his burner account? Sorry to break the news his nba career is essential done. You riding his dick as hard as he’s riding the bench rn