1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More likely than trading our starting 5...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

....is that a team that’s been ranked in the league’s top 4 for the last few years just brings it’s starting 5 back in its entirety. No blockbuster trades. No trades at all. No big free agent signings. Basically just keeping the band together, a major failing of last offseason (when let’s face it, it was going to be tough to improve).

Assuming a couple things...like LT being paid they’ll bring back shumpert. I think Rivers really found a home too so let’s say he takes MLE. And finally, probably the biggest assumption I’ll go with...nobody offers House “the house” and he returns on a team friendly contract.

We’ll look something like this to start the season:

1- Paul, Rivers
    2- Harden, Gordon
    3- Shumpert, House
    4- Tucker, Clark
    5- Capela, Hartenstein

And given a reasonable offseason together, this is a team that remains among the top of the food chain. They can add their 2nd round pick, Chiozza and maybe Green will stick around for vet minimum. This is a good team. This team is competing for a chip, to the dismay of Clutchfans I am sure.

They will be paying LT. They still have assets, namely Gordon and the 3 young guys who should have either value to another team OR have played their way into a meaningful role. This team is going to put in 60 W’s regardless, and be a high seed in the playoffs. You get to the dance and bust your move. “Chip-or-fail” fans live a hard life, most notably when the appreciation for a team like this has all but disappeared. You folks would really rather trade away the core for the sake of trades, blow up one of the best teams around and be mediocre (or worse) because like, emotions or whatever? You’re gonna HIT on 19? That’s a rough existence man. Even the keel already.

They’re bringing back a very, very good team. Is that good enough for you?

2. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Why do people keep wanting to pay Rivers? I'll take him for the vet minimum as insurance but I don't trust him getting big minutes. We're a team that only take 3's and free throws and Rivers is one of the worst point guards in the league at both. If we used our entire MLE on Rivers, I'd want Morey fired, and I am huge Morey supporter.

jboslett and juanm34 like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

4. Rockets1897

Rockets1897 Member

Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

So yes we need to change at least one player in the starting lineup. Preferably get a new starting 3 and move EG to the bench ( if he’s not traded). And get a more skilled big than Capela. Preferably someone with range. Easier said than done tho. Morey will be busy in the next few weeks as he should be. He needs to work his magic soon or the title window will close very fast on us with the inevitable decline of CP3.

Denovo, tc0330, smp and 1 other person like this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but this is way too much level-headed sanity for CF.

Good management and a big break, like being able to grab a top 5 player in trade, can make you one of the top 4 or 5 teams in the league. From there, getting to a championship involves luck and other factors you don't control. Put us in the east, or give us the Warriors with no KD and no Klay, and suddenly everybody here would be overpraising Morey.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

that would be a bad offseason...this team can’t get it done...CP0 will be even worse

I don’t like Shump as our starting 3, or anywhere near the starting lineup at all, and that is still the same short, slow, unathletic roster we had with everyone a year older...nah, I’m good on that

7. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I pretty much agree, but also I would expect better production from at least one minimum salary free agent signing. Morey missed horribly on Melo, MCW, and Ennis, but gotta remember he has a decent track record getting guys on the margins who outplay their contracts. I expect a regression to the mean this season, and at least one, maybe two guys come in and provide solid contributions. Possible candidates include Luc Mbah a Moute return, Jared Dudley, someone like that.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lmao at Shumpert being anywhere near the starting lineup. Smh

GotGame15, javal_lon and saleem like this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I want to retain EG, Tuck, CP3, JH13. Use the 9.2 M MLE for the BPA if possible first. Retain House on a minimum contract if possible. Trade Clark/ Hart. Don't re-sign Green, or Shumpert.

Move Capela if needed by the Feb deadline if he is not improving. Nene might retire, and he may still be useful for a future 2nd rounder. I don't know if this can work cap wise, but if it can, I would go with it.
    @ApacheWarrior @Deckard @Deuce

10. mastan

mastan Member

This team cannot even beat a KD, Cousins less GS team...no it's not a championship team. It cannot get rebound, no height, no length.

juanm34 likes this.
  11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The problem is they seem to have given up on going for Butler because it would get them into the luxury tax.

I don't have a problem with #runitback but they should be adding to the team

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

Such a perfect analogy.

13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

#RunItBackAgian
    #SameResults

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

So we can't beat the core of the team that won a league-record 73 games and a couple of titles? Man, we suuuuuuuuuuck.

15. mastan

mastan Member

this is not 73 wins team...this is a 57 wins team.... no Harrison Burns..Igudala/Livingston not younger any more...that team had better bench.....plus 73 win team was beaten by Cavaliers.

Core players still need decent supporting players... this team didn't have that.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shump for Comeback Player of the Year. Book it.

17. mastan

mastan Member

Shumpert is not a SF, he is SG...at SF he is undersized and will be underachieved.

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CP3 is going to teach Shump how to have heart

harold bingo likes this.
  19. mastan

mastan Member

Can Rockets get OG Anunoby as SF next season? He is 6' 8'', athletic and due to injury may be easily available (don't know his contract situation).

20. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

If KD leaves GS and/or their supporting cast keeps getting weakened (did you watch last night? ugly!), things suddenly look a LOT more open for other contenders.