1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Food] Golden Chick Opening Houston Location

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SuraGotMadHops, Mar 15, 2016.

1. SuraGotMadHops

Drove by the vacant Del Taco on Westheimer and Fondren and saw the marking for a Golden Chick. Does anybody from Austin or SA know if it's any good?

That's a compelling strip of Westheimer, the only Houston area Del Taco opened and closed there, and Krisy Kreme recently opened on Dunvale. Now it looks like Golden Chick is going to introduce its product to the Houston market in that area as well.

2. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

We have a few in Lubbock. I had it a couple times, would put the quality at decent, nothing mind blowing.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I remember eating at the one in San Marcos a few times years ago when I was at Texas State. Nothing special at all imo, and very forgettable.

Similar to the bland chicken you can get from Raising Cane's or Chicken Express. I can't even call the place overrated because it always seemed like an after thought to me.

Deckard and Nook like this.
  4. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is pretty accurate for the Austin area as well.

Deckard, Clutch City1993 and Xerobull like this.
  5. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I'd rate the taste of the batter similar to Church's. The batter is not very flavored, but simple like Grandma's chicken. The chicken definitely needs the spice on it to add flavor. The yeast rolls are very good, too.

I'd still rate Raising Cane's as the best chicken tender place. Popeyes is the best for regular bone-in fried chicken. I only go to KFC if I want potato wedges.

6. Pipedream

Pipedream Contributing Member

The yeast rolls are awesome. I'll pick up some to go with KFC.

The chicken is the blandest I've ever had OTOH

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I don't know about Chicken Express, but the popularity with Cane's is due to the massive portions + the sauce, not necessarily just the quality of the chicken itself.

8. what

what Member

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There are several in the DFW area... can't say I've ever had the urge to go to one. I've never heard anybody talk about one.

I tried Raising Cane's up here one or two times. Can't say I thought anything great about them. The sauce was about the saltiest mess I ever tasted. The chicken wasn't too bad, I guess.

I tried Chicken Express once years ago. Thought it was blech. Haven't tried it again.

The best fried chicken I've ever had was in Tennessee. Those hillbillies know how to fry up some chicken. KFC tried to duplicate Nashville hot chicken and came out with the nastiest, most vile attempt at it I've had. I nearly got ill trying it.

10. SuraGotMadHops

Thread bump!

Looks like that Golden Chick is now closed. Did not last long at all, and no surprise because that chicken is bland as all hell. First Del Taco and now Golden Chick. I wonder who will step into that building next? In n Out??

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Man, everybody that thinks Chicken Express is terrible is insane. The tenders are where its at, avoid the actual chicken parts.

You gotta ask for the "Serendipity salt", I get the spicy one. Throw it in that white gravy and mix it up. Delicious. You cant go wrong with gravy, mashed potatoes and chicken tenders. Thats where Canes goes wrong. You cant serve tenders without offering mashed potatoes. Not in the South at least.

Oh and dont forget about that sweet tea of theirs. So sweet this man approves:
    [​IMG]

#11 donkeypunch, Jun 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I tried PDQ the other day. Thought it was pretty decent, better than Canes.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Crazy talk. I love Cane's.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Tons of them in Dallas, but I've never tried them. I once tried the "catfish" at Chicken Express. Yeah... "catfish". lol. I was dumb for trying catfish at a fast food chicken place.

There was a PDQ near me, but it shut down within months of opening and I never tried it. :(

Cane's I guess is ok. But that sauce everybody raves about is salty as hell the 2 times I tried it.

15. Buck Turgidson

Chicken Express and Golden Chicken are the same, just like all the other ones. Don't lie.

eta: I will say that Chicken Express has very good spicy tenders, or at least they did 3 months ago.

#15 Buck Turgidson, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  16. likestohypeguy

Don't care for express. Only when I get dragged there by gizzard/liver lovers, they are unique in that respect.

Huge raising canes fan, even after getting over their house sauce. Just too damn salty. Might touch it twice with fries, hot sauce on strips. Love their cole slaw, lemonade, and iced tea. The best thing about canes is, considering as many times I've been there, never had a bad experience. Every now and then fries and toast might have not been immediately hot and fresh as usual, but have never had anything less than perfect strips there. Would be great if like chicken express & others raising canes had fried okra. You know it'd be fresh, have to be lucky elsewhere. Wouldn't trade their coleslaw for it, but is my favorite hot side at fried chicken places.

#16 likestohypeguy, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Golden Chick actually has good roasted Chicken, but I wouldn't eat their fried chicken. The only good fried chicken is Popeyes..then Churches is a distant 2nd.

I hate raising canes. I don't like their sauce, and they don't have any other sauces.

Pollo Loco has great roasted chicken. I love that place - their green sauce is good too. I honestly don't even know if they have fried chicken.

For Chicken strips I'd take Slim Chickens over Chicken Express..but I do like Chicken Express.

18. Buck Turgidson

Did anyone else ever go, way back in the 90's, to the Hartz Chicken on Memorial right around Otto's? Cheap ass all-you-can-eat buffet of not bad chicken. Their gizzards were proper, sides weren't bad. I was poor from time to time in my very early 20's and that place rocked.

Nook and SuraGotMadHops like this.
  19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Nope. Couldnt drive in the early 90s, thats why Hartz's delivery service came through so clutch.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Sajan

Sajan Member

How manny chicken places do we need???

What we need to get excited about in Houston are drainage pipes..retention ponds..bayous, pothole repairs etc

No more food places please