1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) MDA has ended contract talks with the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 30, 2019.

1. smp

smp Member

Did they offer him free appetizers for life at all participating Landry’s restaurants? That and an iPad would probably seal the deal.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

I’m honestly really disappointed in Morey.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Just fire MDA please.

We need a real coach who can lead us to championship.

Do you remember what happened that Warriors fired Mark Jackson then hired Steven Kerr? They won the championship that season right away!!!

#423 PeterKingX, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    DaDakota likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Nope.

From MDA's agent:

https://clutchpoints.com/rockets-ru...tract-offer-only-had-2-5-million-base-salary/

In order to make the $2.5m bonus on the $2.5m base salary in 20-21, he has to be the coach and make the playoffs.

5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Scariest thing is 4 rookie coaches go to nba finals last 5years.

6. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think there are 2contingencies.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That information is from the earlier Chronicle article, refuted by the newer Chronicle article. It depends on who you believe, but according to Morey, if D'Antoni coached in 2020-21 for the Rockets, he got his $5M.

Basically, if this is to be believed, then D'Antoni threw away $2.5M for nothing... BUT he probably felt he was worth more than $5 million AND it wasn't an offer that gave him a real sense of security.

Basically, the Rockets were looking for an out clause... offering a partial guarantee with a pre-season deadline. It means the same thing... they're unsure of the future right now and they want flexibility on team direction.

lilbird20, desihooper, Deuce and 8 others like this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That g**damned word and the Rockets organization go hand in hand: flexibility. “Unsure of the future” (your quote) doesn’t inspire confidence that we’re going to rise very far during the Harden era, what with a coach Les Alexander wanted who is now pushing 70 and, clearly, will not be coach after next season.

izeroi likes this.
  9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I hear ya, but we've seen how difficult it can be with inflexibility. The Rockets were the best team in the league in 2017-18 and were paying a worthless player $20M a season. People are already talking about the pain of Chris Paul's contract. If you're not the head honcho, you need to be able to make changes and improve easily.

But in the case of D'Antoni and any NBA coach, this is just pure business and money. There's no cap involved so it is fair to criticize Fertitta for trying to save money because of their own uncertainty.

I do think he was telling the truth in those interviews though. He mentioned how D'Antoni's agent did him a favor, how they just recently finished paying a previous coach (I assume McHale), how he hopes D'Antoni kills it and it ends up burning him. Honestly, I think he was a little too truthful.

Deuce and ROXTXIA like this.
  10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yup saw that, but given the track record I'm betting that MDA's agent is more likely to be telling the truth.

To be honest, I have 0 interest in giving the front office flexibility to make a mid season coaching change. I think they need to either commit to him for a proper 1 year extension or fire him right now.

If Morey is extremely interested in starting an incentive based coaching contract, he chose a really poor time to do it and a candidate unlikely to agree with plenty of leverage. He can try it with someone new if it's that important to him.

daywalker02 and PeterKingX like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

12. HOUSTON2017

HOUSTON2017 Member

Makes zero sense to keep MDA this year.. Zero... you fire his assistants, are in a back and forth war on what was offered.
    his 68 years old, and doubt you want him long term.. Just end this soon.. you can hire a new coach and he can bring his assistants,
    it is all set up..

BigShasta and Hank McDowell like this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The coming season just feels like a write off at the moment. I hope I’m wrong, but my gut tells me they want MDA gone but don’t want to pay him not to coach for a year. It’s like they are trying to force him into retirement and he’s giving them a big fat FU instead. Not a great way to do business, and not a good look at all. All the while, James Harden is getting older and the clock is ticking. It’s hard to be optimistic right now with the way the organization is currently being run.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I see no reason the Rockets should give MDA any kind of security. He has not proven anything against the best team in the league in the playoffs. Not one win is because of MDA.

I say his ship has sailed and the only reason he’s still here is because he’s better than any of the coaches left on the market (that will change by next spring).

The Rockets are right to want flexibility over mediocrity. That’s what the Texans do with their mediocre coaches, extend them because “lame duck bullshit” .

BigShasta and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. fattz

fattz Member

Here is my take on this whole thing. I have no proof but I am reading between the lines and this is what I see.

MDA is ill. Harden doesn’t want to give up on him and neither does the organization. The organization wants to do the right thing but what is it. Coach’s health is the issue. Harden really likes him and feels he owes coach for some of his personal success

16. justtxyank

Morey doesn't really lie though. I know there is a subset here that doesn't like him, but Morey is pretty honest and has a good reputation for being a professional.

On Tilman, I think everything he says is tainted by his "oh what? We're not a luxury tax team? Wow that was an accident" statement. I scoffed at it as well. However, I think in retrospect he was failing to convey his point. I think when he said it was an "accident" they ended up under the tax he didn't mean it wasn't intentional, he meant it wasn't the plan. And it wasn't. We know the plan was to 1) Get Jimmy Butler (over the tax) or 2) Trade for Green and Temple (again, over the tax.) They got under the tax at the last second. I think that's what he meant by accident.

Honestly I don't see anything in Morey's history with this team NOR with Tilman's short history with this team to make me think they are liars. Tilman is probably too honest when he gets excited and Morey is normally a straight shooter if he can be.

Relativist, desihooper and BigShasta like this.
  17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sorry, but this is bullshit. There are no cap implications, or repeater taxes, with coaches salaries, this only has to do with money. They can fire a coach whenever they want, and hire whomever they want at any time, with no restriction.

This is now the second example of Tilman being extremely cheap, maybe even third if you believe the article about him slashing costs across the organization.

Tilman sucks.

D-rock likes this.
  18. justtxyank

What's the first example?

The slashing costs article was proven false.

I'm unclear on who the driver behind this contract is. If it's Tilman it's an example of him being cheap. If it's Morey it's about wanting an exit ramp that is easy to execute.

YOLO likes this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

A response by Tilman saying he wasn't cutting costs was not proof that it was false. You don't need to defend the franchise at all costs. There is no way to prove that they aren't cutting costs unless you go look at their books. We were not presented any evidence that he wasn't cutting costs.

Here is the evidence that we have in favor of him being less than generous with his team's money.

Tilman said avoiding the luxury tax was a happy coincidence.

We didn't sign Ariza to a 1 year bloated contract and it may or may not have hurt us in the short term.

We played hardball with House and then sent him to the D-League to avoid luxury tax.

We did not spend the remainder of our MLE last year.

We spent our allocated money for this year that could have been spent on draft picks to attach to players such as Melo and MCW to avoid the luxury tax.

Tilman may not be cheap but he definitely isn't spending an excess of money.

He did pay CP3 his promised money. He extended Morey. These are points towards his willingness to spend on the team. He spent a lot to buy the team and he may be unwilling to spend right now because he spent so much to buy it. It's just the wrong point in franchise history (our best window at a title since the 90s.) Les overcharged for the team. He even acted as both the lender and the seller in this instance. He knew what he was doing and Tilman wanted to capitalize on his chance to buy a sports team.

joshuaao and cheke64 like this.
  20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

How many times have D'Antoni quit/left a team during his NBA coaching career?

1. He left Phoenix to go coach the Knicks
    2. He left the Knicks
    3. He left the Lakers

This is somewhat of a pattern. Maybe Tilman sees this and is just forcing Mike to be...well....Mike.

BigShasta likes this.